Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-22-2016, 07:30 AM   #1
Anti_Rice_Guy
The Mayor / 2009 Member of the Year / Moderator

Social Networks:

DD Thoughts.

I figure I'll ask your opinions as far as a DD goes.

I drive a work truck home most days, and only use my personal truck for personal errands, going out with friends, vacation. Otherwise it stays parked at work. Capabiliites needed: 4x4/AWD, 3000 lb or better towing capacity, seats 4, can carry kayaks. Primarily tow jet ski/small utility trailers and a few times a year for a boat.
That's really about it. Gas mileage isn't the biggest concern due to a lack of use, so while diesels are awesome, it's not really a good fit. I'm not against pickups entirely, but feel that an SUV fits my lifestyle/storage needs better. My mom has a Traverse and is one of the vehicles in the running, but I'm not a fan of how it tows - it squats a lot even with just my jet ski. (yes, air bags can be added).
Currently have an 06 Explorer with 165k miles, owned since 16k. Runs great, no issues, and completely rust free thanks to being anal about keeping things clean and detailed. Obviously also have no payments, and maintenance is significantly less than what annual payments would be on a new car, but is slowly creeping up.
What are your thoughts on selling it now vs. waiting, whether to even sell it, and what would you replace it with. I love this truck, and it fits my needs perfectly (Perfect size as well for what I do/where I go). My concern is it's still worth a decent amount now, and not so much if I wait a few more years. I'm having the passion/finance brain battle going on.

I have driven the new Colorado, Silverado, Explorer, and they all ride fine (I like a stiffer ride). I would be getting an NA V6, since I don't want the TT Ford, v8 silverado would be overkill but would be fine if I got a steal.

I would obviously price out used versus new, but would likely lean towards a 2 year old used vehicle to let someone else take the depreciation hit.

Go!
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Is English your 2nd language? Did you graduate high school? Your posts make my head hurt.
Team FARM
Anti_Rice_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:10 AM   #2
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

If the current truck fits your needs and is doing well, why even bother getting rid of it? You mentioned cost of maintenance is going up so I assume you mean it's had a few "older vehicle" issues.

In any event, why not grab a lightly used quad cab 1500 pickup? Might be overkill but that's not a bad thing especially since you likely plan on keeping it a while.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:15 AM   #3
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Gmc Canyon with baby durty! Or any gm truck.....
Old 11-22-2016, 08:16 AM   #4
Anti_Rice_Guy

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
If the current truck fits your needs and is doing well, why even bother getting rid of it? You mentioned cost of maintenance is going up so I assume you mean it's had a few "older vehicle" issues.

In any event, why not grab a lightly used quad cab 1500 pickup? Might be overkill but that's not a bad thing especially since you likely plan on keeping it a while.
Yeah, like new radiator, etc. While everything is working great, I feel like it's time to make the decision in the next few months to run it into the ground, or replace it while it's worth something.

A pickup would work, but an SUV suits my needs better with leaving camping or boatercycle gear in a vehicle when I'm not there, etc. I like having the added security without a bedcover, and to fit kayaks I'm not sure a bedcover would work, which would mean a cap, and down the slippery slope it goes. Like I said, not the worst thing, but I already have a pickup so the traditional benefits of a pickup aren't there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
Gmc Canyon with baby durty! Or any gm truck.....
The new Duramax is awesome and I've driven it, but I have no need for a diesel or the added cost of the diesel OR the fancy packages that you need to order with it. But yeah, if I got a pickup it would be a GM midsize or fullsize.

I'm basically just looking for objective feedback haha.
Is English your 2nd language? Did you graduate high school? Your posts make my head hurt.
Team FARM

Last edited by Anti_Rice_Guy; 11-22-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:31 AM   #5
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Get a clean TBSS to suit your needs. Just as old but hey, it will be more fun.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:33 AM   #6
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

The cost of baby durty is offset by fuel mileage! You can def lace it out with a cap or cover and racks for your kayak and camping needs! But a used 1500 with a gen 4 8 cylinder is a great combo and so easy to work on....
Old 11-22-2016, 08:35 AM   #7
Anti_Rice_Guy

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
Get a clean TBSS to suit your needs. Just as old but hey, it will be more fun.
I don't want another old car to sit around 5-6 days a week I have my fun toys, just looking for a dependable DD.

It's really just a matter of when to do it - in the next 6 months or when this truck dies.

Quote:
The cost of baby durty is offset by fuel mileage! You can def lace it out with a cap or cover and racks for your kayak and camping needs! But a used 1500 with a gen 4 8 cylinder is a great combo and so easy to work on....
Takes a while at under 10k a year to recoup, and I wouldn't be buying a 2017 anything regardless.
Team FARM

Last edited by Anti_Rice_Guy; 11-22-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:27 AM   #8
ThoR294
^^^Lover of bad cars^^^ Meet Coordinator

What's your budget?

I still think fixing a car is cheaper than buying a new car. While it may suck sometimes, your wallet will thank you. No car payments!
2003 Toyota Matrix XRS M6 - Lol
ThoR294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:37 AM   #9
Anti_Rice_Guy

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoR294 View Post
What's your budget?

I still think fixing a car is cheaper than buying a new car. While it may suck sometimes, your wallet will thank you. No car payments!
If replacing I'd want to be under 35k, ideally like 30k since I'd looking 1-2 years old with 20-30k miles. I wouldn't be getting anything unusually optioned (between base and mid-level but with tow package) regardless of type so I think it's realistic. I can go higher if need be.

When the only times you drive your vehicle is on long weekends or trips, fixing your car at all doesn't sound very appealing
Team FARM

Last edited by Anti_Rice_Guy; 11-22-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:56 PM   #10
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

Hey Nick, I'd stick with what ya have if it's still getting the job done. You know it's history and have taken care of it so it will probably take care of you for a long time. But good luck in what ever your decision is.

1991 Dodge Spirit R/T: Gran'pa lookin' 150+ mph turbo rocket.

2013 Dodge Avenger RT: Wastelands cruiser.

2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor: 'Nuff said!

THE ONLY THING THAT SUCKS WORSE THEN IMPORTS ARE RICED OUT IMPORTS!!!
unstable bob gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:26 PM   #11
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Nick, have you considered a used Grand Cherokee? My wife has a 2015 Limited with the V6 and its a great cruiser and absolute beast in the snow. They seem to plummet in value the first two years too.

Only things you might not like is the suspension is soft and floaty, and the reliability isn't so great according to initial reports. Nonetheless, we are very happy with ours.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:23 PM   #12
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Actual DD, or just a occasional weekend usage? You have put forth a conflicting answer to that so far.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:04 PM   #13
Frosty

The newer Colorado is a solid truck. When I was at GM every customer that bought a new one absolutely loved it.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:09 PM   #14
Frosty

https://www.facebook.com/lsxmag/phot...type=3&theater

2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)

Last edited by Frosty; 11-22-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:30 PM   #15
MDSheds_SS
11 sec club

Social Networks:

Ive had many different trucks SUVs over the last few years. My Silverado was the best truck I've ever owned and I kick myself weekly for selling it. If you can find a clean Silverado you will not be disappointed. I have a work van and I looked forward to the days I got to drive the Silverado. Get a bed cover and you can fit more stuff and same number of people as your current truck. Also very easy to dress up. 20" OEM take offs can be found for fairly cheap.
86 Buick GN Lesabre 1 of 117 (4-Sale)
MDSheds_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:26 AM   #16
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

I can't believe I didn't suggest a wrangler......so here I am suggesting a wrangler. No arguing, its you bro.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:02 AM   #17
TaKid455

Personally, the explorer resale is squat at this point due to mileage and b/c Ford. Maybe a few G's. Your truck is has higher opportunity value than it would sell so I would keep it and add a few bucks to it being it is in good cosmetic condition. Crossed this same bridge with the shop truck this year. I felt it was worth putting some effort and $ into it as its replacement would far exceed those cost. The added time I would yeild from fixing the truck would easily offset the efforts put forth.

My vote is if you like it and are OK with keeping it for a few more years, do so. You know its history for very early on which when buying something else used can be a concern.

You could get the new F2/350 mega cab w/ diesel pushing 925 ft-lbs!! Ultimate pavement cruiser with added Alcoas with stretched pretty boy tires.
TaKid455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:16 AM   #18
ThoR294
^^^Lover of bad cars^^^ Meet Coordinator

Quote:
I can't believe I didn't suggest a wrangler......so here I am suggesting a wrangler. No arguing, its you bro.
my buddy is selling one
2003 Toyota Matrix XRS M6 - Lol
ThoR294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:28 AM   #19
V
Stalker

wait a few more years with what you have, then grab a off-lease Bronco.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:49 AM   #20
Anti_Rice_Guy

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
Nick, have you considered a used Grand Cherokee?
Yes. Too small, and not a good reliability record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Actual DD, or just a occasional weekend usage? You have put forth a conflicting answer to that so far.
I have a work truck I drive between home to work. So the Explorer is technically my not-so-DD that I only use for personal duty such as going out with friends, going down the shore, vacations, etc. Still 10k per year, but usually only on "weekends" or the occasional night during the week.

Quote:
When I drove my friend's 2015? 2 door it wasn't very peppy, even with a stick. I can only imagine while towing, even if it is rated for 3500 pounds. I can revisit it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSheds_SS View Post
Ive had many different trucks SUVs over the last few years. My Silverado was the best truck I've ever owned and I kick myself weekly for selling it. If you can find a clean Silverado you will not be disappointed. I have a work van and I looked forward to the days I got to drive the Silverado. Get a bed cover and you can fit more stuff and same number of people as your current truck. Also very easy to dress up. 20" OEM take offs can be found for fairly cheap.
I have a Silverado I drive every day, I know their reliability and virtues

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaKid455 View Post
Personally, the explorer resale is squat at this point due to mileage and b/c Ford. Maybe a few G's. Your truck is has higher opportunity value than it would sell so I would keep it and add a few bucks to it being it is in good cosmetic condition. Crossed this same bridge with the shop truck this year. I felt it was worth putting some effort and $ into it as its replacement would far exceed those cost. The added time I would yeild from fixing the truck would easily offset the efforts put forth.
I can still get 5500-6500 for it as it sits, possibly a little more for the right buyer. Not a huge chunk of change, but not too bad and would be a nice downpayment.

I'd be looking at 30,000 miles and under used, so it wouldn't be too bad.
Team FARM

Last edited by Anti_Rice_Guy; 11-23-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:11 PM   #21
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

The 3.6 is much better then the 3.8 so what year you drove matters. 4 doors are awesome for who you are and what you want. Its not always about the destination, sometimes its about the trip to there + vert 4x4!!!!!
Old 11-23-2016, 12:27 PM   #22
Anti_Rice_Guy

Social Networks:

Quote:
The 3.6 is much better then the 3.8 so what year you drove matters. 4 doors are awesome for who you are and what you want. Its not always about the destination, sometimes its about the trip to there + vert 4x4!!!!!
Ahhh, good to know. What year was the switchover? I have always wanted a Wrangler but figured it had to be a toy. Still leery of mopar reliability though. How is the 3.6?
Team FARM

Last edited by Anti_Rice_Guy; 11-23-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:51 PM   #23
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti_Rice_Guy View Post
Ahhh, good to know. What year was the switchover? I have always wanted a Wrangler but figured it had to be a toy. Still leery of mopar reliability though. How is the 3.6?
2012 but the initial release did have coolant loss/misfire/head issues They did repair under warranty though.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:52 AM   #24
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
Nick, have you considered a used Grand Cherokee? My wife has a 2015 Limited with the V6 and its a great cruiser and absolute beast in the snow. They seem to plummet in value the first two years too.

Only things you might not like is the suspension is soft and floaty, and the reliability isn't so great according to initial reports. Nonetheless, we are very happy with ours.
Yea nevermind. Wife's car didn't start this morning.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:10 AM   #25
Anti_Rice_Guy

Social Networks:

Quote:
Yea nevermind. Wife's car didn't start this morning.
Curious to know once you find out. Going to test drive the Unlimited 6 spd this week to see if I like driving it, look at the space, etc.

Explorer is listed for sale.
Team FARM

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge