Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-07-2016, 02:10 PM   #1
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

"Engineers"

So my Hellcat has a couple relatively minor but annoying issues I wanted the dealer to resolve. Since I have installed a new aluminum driveshaft, I was a bit fearful of going to the wrong dealer and getting flagged. At the recommendation of a fellow HC owner, I contacted a dealer in North NJ to see if they would play ball. I spoke to the service writer and he seemed to be speaking the right language. He even went as far to mention they have 305mm MT DR's in stock.

The 1st issue I've been chasing for a bit is vibration at highway speed around 55-65mph. I get a slight shimmy in the wheel and you can feel it in the car a touch. The car did this when new and I ended up having all 4 Pirelli's replaced under warranty. The process was annoying but we got it done. The shimmy was gone but after a few thousand miles, it's back.

The 2nd is a whine from the rear differential at very light throttle between 50-65mph. Other HC owners report this issue as well and while no one has reported breaking one for just a whine, I wanted to get it addressed.

The tech looked like a competent guy and I was surprised to hear he owned a HC as well. No f***s were given regarding the DS so that was nice too. I drove the car and re-created the symptoms. They spoke to the SRT "Engineers" and here are the solutions.

Rear - Replace the diff fluid. OK but likely a band aid. I assume the lash is off a touch and the new fluid will mask it until it comes back.

Tires - The SRT engineers recommend.....unbolting all 4 wheels, rotating them 180 degrees and bolting them back on the car..... I made a confused face when the service writer mentioned this to me and he agreed it sounded odd. I did mention how can a 5 lug wheel be rotated 180 degrees. I cannot fathom what this will do but I will play along for now.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car and will see how this plays out. They didn't have the rear fluid in stock so I will need to make another appt to get all of the "work" done.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:51 PM   #2
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Old 06-07-2016, 05:11 PM   #3
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
So my Hellcat has a couple relatively minor but annoying issues I wanted the dealer to resolve. Since I have installed a new aluminum driveshaft, I was a bit fearful of going to the wrong dealer and getting flagged. At the recommendation of a fellow HC owner, I contacted a dealer in North NJ to see if they would play ball. I spoke to the service writer and he seemed to be speaking the right language. He even went as far to mention they have 305mm MT DR's in stock.

The 1st issue I've been chasing for a bit is vibration at highway speed around 55-65mph. I get a slight shimmy in the wheel and you can feel it in the car a touch. The car did this when new and I ended up having all 4 Pirelli's replaced under warranty. The process was annoying but we got it done. The shimmy was gone but after a few thousand miles, it's back.

The 2nd is a whine from the rear differential at very light throttle between 50-65mph. Other HC owners report this issue as well and while no one has reported breaking one for just a whine, I wanted to get it addressed.

The tech looked like a competent guy and I was surprised to hear he owned a HC as well. No f***s were given regarding the DS so that was nice too. I drove the car and re-created the symptoms. They spoke to the SRT "Engineers" and here are the solutions.

Rear - Replace the diff fluid. OK but likely a band aid. I assume the lash is off a touch and the new fluid will mask it until it comes back.

Tires - The SRT engineers recommend.....unbolting all 4 wheels, rotating them 180 degrees and bolting them back on the car..... I made a confused face when the service writer mentioned this to me and he agreed it sounded odd. I did mention how can a 5 lug wheel be rotated 180 degrees. I cannot fathom what this will do but I will play along for now.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car and will see how this plays out. They didn't have the rear fluid in stock so I will need to make another appt to get all of the "work" done.
I find this interesting...

I've heard of matching tires on the wheels for excessive roadforce, but never unbolting wheels/bolting back on.

Also, the rear fluid exchange... our V's (V2/V3) with a rear noise, a fluid change fixes it for a little while. Ultimately it needs a new diff. we don't rebuild the V diff while the escalade/SRX/everything else gets rebuilt in-house.

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:38 PM   #4
Blackbirdws6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Torque View Post
I find this interesting...

I've heard of matching tires on the wheels for excessive roadforce, but never unbolting wheels/bolting back on.

Also, the rear fluid exchange... our V's (V2/V3) with a rear noise, a fluid change fixes it for a little while. Ultimately it needs a new diff. we don't rebuild the V diff while the escalade/SRX/everything else gets rebuilt in-house.
Yea I've heard of matching them as well so perhaps there was a misunderstanding. Regarding the fluid, I see it being a bandaid and ultimately they will replace it.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Old 06-08-2016, 06:01 AM   #5
FlyingDutchman

Social Networks:

Everyone nowadays is an "engineer", it's a joke in the US. Even the guy who drives nj transit train is an "engineer" (despite the fact he/she merely opens the doors..). But that's a topic for another day lol

If in fact the tech actually meant unbolt the wheels, spin them 180* and mount them back up, it makes no sense and it's a waste of time. When you go around a corner, the outside wheels will cover more distance and no longer be flipped 180* and eventually they will all line up to the way they were before you flipped them (even if for only a short distance).

As you stated, changing the diff fluid is a band-aid. If it's whining then it already has an issue unless they have an additive that will help.
1997 Camaro Z28 - 355 LT1, T56, CC503, LTs, ORY, Bald Eagle-back exhaust, !emissions, Lingenfelter CAI, EWP, !CAGS, BMR LCAs, UMI PHB, Koni Str.t/Koni SA, C5 Z06 front / LS1 F-body rear brake swap, factory hurst with short stick

2014 2LT Cruze 2.0 Turbo Diesel
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:36 AM   #6
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

In for mid-July update.

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:42 AM   #7
Blackbirdws6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
In for mid-July update.
She will have a sticky tire on it before then

97 T/A Ram Air Convt

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Old 06-08-2016, 09:40 AM   #8
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97camaro View Post
Everyone nowadays is an "engineer", it's a joke in the US. Even the guy who drives nj transit train is an "engineer" (despite the fact he/she merely opens the doors..). But that's a topic for another day lol

If in fact the tech actually meant unbolt the wheels, spin them 180* and mount them back up, it makes no sense and it's a waste of time. When you go around a corner, the outside wheels will cover more distance and no longer be flipped 180* and eventually they will all line up to the way they were before you flipped them (even if for only a short distance).

As you stated, changing the diff fluid is a band-aid. If it's whining then it already has an issue unless they have an additive that will help.

I think you have conductor and engineer mixed up on that one.

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:04 AM   #9
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Torque View Post
I think you have conductor and engineer mixed up on that one.
Yeppers. The guy who drives the train is the engineer. The guy who opens the doors is the conductor.

1991 Dodge Spirit R/T: Gran'pa lookin' 150+ mph turbo rocket.

2013 Dodge Avenger RT: Wastelands cruiser.

2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor: 'Nuff said!

THE ONLY THING THAT SUCKS WORSE THEN IMPORTS ARE RICED OUT IMPORTS!!!
unstable bob gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:37 AM   #10
SS Performance

Could the 180 mean rotating the wheels side to side? Left on right, right on left?

Just a thought.
SS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:57 AM   #11
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Should have told him you only operate in radians and 180* is not a valid number.

I always tell people I drive trains when you ask what I do. Its fun
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:55 PM   #12
elle

I'm not in the car business but a business that requires us to call the factory tech guys for problems and/or help. Tech is no longer a guy that was in the field and had hands on experience. Now, it's a person that asks questions and inputs them into a computer for an answer. I have had some success but also get " I have no idea" answer a lot.
elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:25 AM   #13
Stevoone

By rotating the wheels 180 degrees on the hub they are trying to eliminate the possibility of run-out on the hub surface. GM had a similar procedure for brake rotors. We even had a "tool kit" that had wedge shaped shims to install between the rotor and hub. The 180 degree part is obviously not possibly on a 5 bolt wheel but it gets the general idea across.

We had a Cadillac engineer come out for a vehicle with a noise and his recommendation was to fill the frame rails with expanding insulation foam. In my experience the engineers really aren't anything special. It's mostly just to try and make the customer feel better.

Assuming they haven't done it yet I would look into have the tires road force balanced. Had a car about 10 years ago with a shimmy issue and no shops around had one of those machines. We ended up driving about 45 min away just to have the tire balanced.

Last edited by Stevoone; 06-09-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Stevoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:02 AM   #14
Blackbirdws6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevoone View Post
Assuming they haven't done it yet I would look into have the tires road force balanced. Had a car about 10 years ago with a shimmy issue and no shops around had one of those machines. We ended up driving about 45 min away just to have the tire balanced.

The tires were originally replaced under warranty by Pirelli. 3 of the 4 tires would not produce an acceptable balance when road force balanced. The thought from some of the HC guys is the tires may be spinning on the rim. I don't think there is enough traction with this car to warrant this claim but I suppose its possible given the weight of the vehicle and power. If we road force again, I will mark the wheel/tire to rule that out.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Old 06-09-2016, 10:12 AM   #15
BonzoHansen
Admin.

"tires may be spinning on the rim"

Yeah, I can't picture that under normal driving conditions. GM had that issue with the Z28 during severe track usage, and that car likely ran stickier tires. then again the HC weighs a lot, so maybe.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop

Last edited by BonzoHansen; 06-09-2016 at 10:13 AM.
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:18 AM   #16
Blackbirdws6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
"tires may be spinning on the rim"

Yeah, I can't picture that under normal driving conditions. GM had that issue with the Z28 during severe track usage, and that car likely ran stickier tires. then again the HC weighs a lot, so maybe.
I'm skeptical as well. It is happening for some guys running drag radials but street tires...ehhh.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Old 06-09-2016, 12:30 PM   #17
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Maybe check the balance now? See exactly which tires are off and how much. Spinning on the rim, I would imagine you'd only have issue with the rears. I don't think you can spin them cornering, I don't have a fancy title either though
Old 06-09-2016, 01:40 PM   #18
Blackbirdws6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
Maybe check the balance now? See exactly which tires are off and how much. Spinning on the rim, I would imagine you'd only have issue with the rears. I don't think you can spin them cornering, I don't have a fancy title either though
Ya. I will delve into all of this next time I'm at the dealer. Just figured it would be a fun discussion topic. I'm thinking it's the right rear.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Old 06-09-2016, 05:59 PM   #19
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

Tub it already...

1991 Dodge Spirit R/T: Gran'pa lookin' 150+ mph turbo rocket.

2013 Dodge Avenger RT: Wastelands cruiser.

2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor: 'Nuff said!

THE ONLY THING THAT SUCKS WORSE THEN IMPORTS ARE RICED OUT IMPORTS!!!
unstable bob gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:02 PM   #20
6spdg37s

lol at the 180 degrees
6spdg37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:44 PM   #21
Blackbirdws6

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable bob gable View Post
Tub it already...
305s are ready for wheels. Just waiting on another shipment as one got nicely waffled by a lazy shipping company.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Old 06-13-2016, 12:18 AM   #22
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevoone View Post
By rotating the wheels 180 degrees on the hub they are trying to eliminate the possibility of run-out on the hub surface. GM had a similar procedure for brake rotors. We even had a "tool kit" that had wedge shaped shims to install between the rotor and hub. The 180 degree part is obviously not possibly on a 5 bolt wheel but it gets the general idea across.
Yeah, this is pretty common with brakes and aftermarket wheels. We used to rotate either the rotors, if brake related and the tires if tire related. I'd also be interested in rotating the tire in relation to the wheel or if it was mounted correctly by putting the "heavy spot" in the right spot.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:33 AM   #23
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

I was getting a pretty nasty shimmy on my Saab that turned out to be built up gunk that accumulated on the hub. I ended up taking a wire cup to the hub to smooth it out and problem solved.

I know your car is much newer, but its worth a shot.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:30 PM   #24
DaSkinnyGuy

I don't have an answer just questions that may help you.

I hope they are torquing lug nuts to spec.

What air pressure are you keeping the tires at?

Could it be a bushing, body mount, engine or transmission mount that needs to be replaced? I had to replace a poly transmission mount because as it aged the vibration got worse.

Could the vibration be coming from the body due to stiffness, I have heard of newer GM trucks do this because the body's are so stiff.

Could it still be a tire problem and worth a shot asking if you could switch to a different brand? And or take your wheels completly off the car and install wheels from another challenger on the lot and take for a test drive?
2000 Pewter Trans am, M6, SLP Lid,LS6 intake,Kooks 1 7/8" Long tube header,Classic Chambered Powersticks, hurst,off road X-pipe, Strano springs & Koni's, Monster level 2 clutch, HPtuners wide band tuned and a homemade ram air box sealed off.
DaSkinnyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:40 PM   #25
Blackbirdws6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSkinnyGuy View Post
I don't have an answer just questions that may help you.

I hope they are torquing lug nuts to spec.

What air pressure are you keeping the tires at?

Could it be a bushing, body mount, engine or transmission mount that needs to be replaced? I had to replace a poly transmission mount because as it aged the vibration got worse.

Could the vibration be coming from the body due to stiffness, I have heard of newer GM trucks do this because the body's are so stiff.

Could it still be a tire problem and worth a shot asking if you could switch to a different brand? And or take your wheels completly off the car and install wheels from another challenger on the lot and take for a test drive?
Lug nuts are torque'd to the proper spec by me verified with another tool as well. Shake will happen at the speeds specified, not per a certain RPM, gear, etc. I will admit I'm pretty picky with this stuff so perhaps I'm just overly sensitive.

I could switch to another brand but I really doubt they would cover any of that cost. I think I will just wear these out and then try another brand if they don't come up with anything reasonable.

As for the last option of using a known set of good wheels/tires, I again doubt they would go through all that hassle.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge