Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 12-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

Tuning off Tire Pressure Sensors

I'm looking to disable the TPS system on my 07' Silverado and wanted to know if it was a simple thing to get done by someone locally?
Old 12-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
BonzoHansen
Admin.

why?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
The_Bishop
Power Member

Don't think there's an easy way.
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
The_Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

One of my rear tire sensors is dead and the light is on. I think its dumb to pay for a new sensor, when sometime down the road i'm sure another will die as well. Why can't i just check tire pressure the old fashion way?
Old 12-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Most people are dumb and don't check tire pressure. Properly inflated tires increases fuel mileage, that's the main reason for them. I don't think there is an easy way to disable it. You can probably source one cheaper yourself and have a tire place put it in. Napa by me has a universal tool and monitors that they lend out to shops.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
MyFirstZ

Social Networks:

I have a feeling you are not going to be able to shut it off since it is federally mandated on all cars 06+. Tread act or something like that. If you can, like everyone else said it won't be easy

And yea I can guarantee another one will die since they are power by batteries and all havea life span.

To many people wouldn't check there tire pressures or check there tires at all. Reason they call them "idiot lights"
MyFirstZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

I don't think it is the battery that went, I believe the batteries are good for around 10 years. When I have replaced them, its been inconsistent. I don't think I have had one car that had multiple sensors fail at the same time. I'm not saying its not possible, I'm just sharing my experience.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

No way to turn it off... sorry.

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
zraffz

Not going to happen but if you do find a way to do it, I'd love to hear how you did it. (Just a heads up - I'd imagine this is illegal to do since it is federally mandated on newer vehicles).

I'm not 100% certain how GM actually monitors the pressure but the manufacter's have a few different designs that I would bet all use different methods to read tire pressure. It'd be nice if you could just match a certain resistance reading to fool the system but I'm not certain if they are even electrical or pneumatic.
zraffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #10
V
Stalker

I was working on an emulator for GM sensors. After the sale of my V, I had no reason to continue. I got as far as dismantling a sensor and figuring out the wiring for it, in order to place it in a pressurized container maintained in the vehicle. But as far as turning it off completely, all my research came up with that it was not possible. In the V, with one sensor acting up, you were unable to turn off stabilitrac control.

V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #11
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

The difference in styles is simply physical. They work off of radio frequency. There are 2 frequencies. The monitors are assigned their own id numbers and will broadcast tire pressure, temperature, and battery state. The napa generic tool shows all of this.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #12
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

Well I had no idea that it was illegal to tamper with them. The light was pretty consistent when I first got the truck to California, and on the off chance it was a small leak I checked the tire pressure regularly, and even did a factory sensor reset. That didn't do the trick, so I just dealt with it for a few months, but now the light is sporadic, it can go a whole day without popping up, and its not consistent with the roads, like turning on and off on the highway or down the street. Its just an annoying light and I have the habit of constantly watching gages as I drive and that big ol' yellow warning light is just driving me insane especially when I know nothing is wrong.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #13
The_Bishop
Power Member

Fix the bad sensor?
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
The_Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #14
Firebird67dude
14 Second Club

I have some still on my stock jeep rims. You can give it a try if ya want when you back in jerz. These are the valve style ones.
Firebird67dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #15
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird67dude View Post
I have some still on my stock jeep rims. You can give it a try if ya want when you back in jerz. These are the valve style ones.

Almost every manf. has differnt sensors... and GM and Chrysler wont interchange.

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #16
89 Trans Am WS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar0ck View Post
Well I had no idea that it was illegal to tamper with them. The light was pretty consistent when I first got the truck to California, and on the off chance it was a small leak I checked the tire pressure regularly, and even did a factory sensor reset. That didn't do the trick, so I just dealt with it for a few months, but now the light is sporadic, it can go a whole day without popping up, and its not consistent with the roads, like turning on and off on the highway or down the street. Its just an annoying light and I have the habit of constantly watching gages as I drive and that big ol' yellow warning light is just driving me insane especially when I know nothing is wrong.

Ughhh...Not to go to simple here..but is it just a yellow light? Or is it popping up in some kind of information display too? If its just the light...pull the bulb? Do you have keyless entry? What happens if you pull the "DSM" fuse?

As far as replacing..if a bad sensor is the problem NAPA does sell (actually made by Schrader International) universal TPMS sensors. They may, or may not be cheaper then OE.

Some possible helpful info:

Low Tire Pressure Indicator Always On
Diagnostic Instructions

Perform the prior to using this diagnostic procedure.
Review for an overview of the diagnostic approach.
provides an overview of each diagnostic category.

Circuit/System Description

The remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) receives a radio frequency (RF) transmission from each tire pressure sensor. Each sensor RF transmission contains its own unique identification (ID) code that must be learned into the RCDLR memory. Once all 4 IDs have been learned and vehicle speed is greater than 32 km/h (20 mph), the RCDLR continuously compares IDs in received transmission to its learned IDs to determine if all 4 sensors are present. If the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) detects a low tire pressure condition or a malfuction in the system, it will send a serial data message to the instrument panel cluster (IPC) requesting tire pressure monitor indicator illumination and to display a data message on the driver information center (DIC,) if equipped.
Diagnostic Aids

Some aftermarket wheel valve stem holes are located further from the wheel rim than original equipment wheels. When using the TPM special tool to activate a sensor, ensure the tool antenna is no further than 15 cm (6 in) from the sensor and is aiming upward.
Aftermarket wheel value stem locations can cause a sensor to not function correctly.
A sensor may have been damaged due to a previous wheel/tire service or flat tire event.
The use of tire sealants can obstruct the sensor pressure sensing port and cause inaccurate tire pressure readings. If this condition is verified, remove the sealer from the tire and replace the sensor. Refer to .
Occasionally sensor transmissions are not received by the RCDLR due to vehicle level RF interference from items such as but not limited to aftermarket ignition systems, DVD players, CB radios, or metallic type window tinting.
The sensor activation procedure may have to be repeated up to 3 times before determining a sensor is malfunctioning. In the event a particular sensor's information is displayed on the special tool upon activation but the horn does not chirp, it may be necessary to rotate the wheel valve stem to a different position due to the RF signal is being blocked by another component.
Occasionally sensors can become mislocated due to previous tire rotations where the sensor learn procedure was not performed or stray sensor transmissions have been received from other vehicles. Always learn the sensors to ensure the DTC set is for that actual physical corner of the vehicle. Refer to .

Reference Information

Description and Operation

Electrical Information Reference

Scan Tool Reference

Special Tools Required

J-46079 Tire Pressure Monitor Diagnostic Tool
Circuit/System Verification
IMPORTANT: When a TPM DTC is set, the tire pressure monitor indicator icon will flash for 1 minute after the IPC bulb check is completed and then remains illuminated. If equipped with a DIC, a SERVICE TIRE MONITOR SYSTEM message will also be displayed.Low tire pressure in one or more tires is indicated by a continuously illuminated tire pressure monitor indicator icon after the IPC bulb check is completed. If equipped with a DIC, a CHECK TIRE PRESSURE message will also be displayed.

Cycle the ignition from OFF to ON. After the instrument panel cluster (IPC) bulb check is complete, the tire pressure monitor indicator icon should not be illuminated.
Circuit/System Testing

Inflate all tires to the proper pressure and drive the vehicle over 32 km/h (20 MPH) for over 2 minutes. Refer to .
Using the J-46079 , activate each tire pressure sensor and record each sensors tire pressure reading. Check the tire pressures with a known accurate hand held tire pressure gauge. Verify that the pressure readings from the special tool do not differ more than 27.6 kPa (4 psi) from the actual tire pressure readings.
If not within the specified range, replace the suspect tire pressure sensor.
Using a scan tool, enable the TPM learn mode. Use the J-46079 in simulate mode to learn 4 simulated sensor transmissions into the RCDLR. Observe tire pressures in the scan tool data display. Verify the simulated tire pressures do not differ more than +/- 27.6 kPa (4 psi) of the scan tool reading.
If not within the specified range, replace the RCDLR.
Using a scan tool, select instrument panel special functions Lamp Test. Command the instrument panel warning lamps OFF. Verify the tire pressure monitor indicator icon turns OFF.
If the tire pressure monitor icon does not turn OFF, replace the IPC.
Ignition ON, use the scan tool to setup the Tire Type/Pressure Selection in the RCDLR Module Setup menu. Refer to the . Verify the tire pressure monitor indicator icon turns OFF.
If the tire pressure monitor icon does not turn OFF, replace the RCDLR.

Repair Procedures

Perform the after completing the diagnostic procedure.

for IPC or RCDLR replacement, setup, and programming

Low Tire Pressure Indicator Inoperative
Diagnostic Instructions

Perform the prior to using this diagnostic procedure.
Review for an overview of the diagnostic approach.
provides an overview of each diagnostic category.

Circuit/System Description

The remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) receives a radio frequency (RF) transmission from each tire pressure sensor. Each sensor RF transmission contains its own unique identification (ID) code that must be learned into the RCDLR memory. Once all 4 IDs have been learned and vehicle speed is greater than 32 kph (20 mph), the RCDLR continuously compares IDs in received transmission to its learned IDs to determine if all 4 sensors are present. If the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) detects a low tire pressure condition or a malfunction in the system, it will send a serial data message to the instrument panel cluster (IPC) requesting tire pressure monitor indicator icon illumination and to display a data message on the driver information center (DIC) if equipped.
Diagnostic Aids

Some aftermarket wheel valve stem holes are located further from the wheel rim than original equipment wheels. When using the TPM special tool to activate a sensor, ensure the tool antenna is no further than 15 cm (6 in) from the sensor and is aiming upward.
Aftermarket wheel value stem locations can cause a sensor to not function correctly.
A sensor may have been damaged due to a previous wheel/tire service or flat tire event.
The use of tire sealants can obstruct the sensor pressure sensing port and cause inaccurate tire pressure readings. If this condition is verified, remove the sealer from the tire and replace the sensor. Refer to .
Occasionally sensor transmissions are not received by the RCDLR due to vehicle level RF interference from items such as but not limited to aftermarket ignition systems, DVD players, CB radios, or metallic type window tinting.
The sensor activation procedure may have to be repeated up to 3 times before determining a sensor is malfunctioning. In the event a particular sensor's information is displayed on the special tool upon activation but the horn does not chirp, it may be necessary to rotate the wheel valve stem to a different position due to the RF signal is being blocked by another component.
Occasionally sensors can become mislocated due to previous tire rotations where the sensor learn procedure was not performed or stray sensor transmissions have been received from other vehicles. Always learn the sensors to ensure the DTC set is for that actual physical corner of the vehicle. Refer to .

Reference Information

Description and Operation

Electrical Information Reference

Scan Tool Reference

Special Tools Required

J-46079 Tire Pressure Monitor Diagnostic Tool
Circuit/System Testing

With the scan tool, select instrument panel special functions Lamp Test. Command the instrument panel lamps ON. Verify tire pressure monitor indicator icon turns ON.
If the icon does not turn ON, replace the IPC.
Using the tire pressure monitor (TPM) special tool to observe the tire pressure of the suspected faulty sensor. Check the air pressure with a known accurate tire pressure gage. Compare the pressure reading to the display on the TPM special tool. Verify the pressure readings from special tool do not differ 13.8 kPa (2 psi) or more than actual tire pressure.
If not within the specified range, replace the suspect tire pressure sensor.
With the scan tool, observe tire pressures in the scan tool data display. Verify pressure readings from special tool do not differ 13.8 kPa (2 psi) or more than scan tool data display.
If not within the specified range, replace the RCDLR.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tpms.jpg (49.5 KB, 5 views)
'14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude (Wifey's Ride)
'89 Trans Am WS6 (Gone but not forgotten-SOLD)
'85 Camaro 6 Banger base model, never left the driveway, 1st car (SOLD)
Http://www.cardomain.com/id/red93ta
http://www.fquick.com/freebird

Last edited by 89 Trans Am WS6; 12-15-2013 at 07:46 PM.
89 Trans Am WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #17
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

I think that might be a Driver Information Center setup on the truck. If it is its own separate light only, most likely its going to be an led built into the board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Torque View Post
Almost every manf. has differnt sensors... and GM and Chrysler wont interchange.
Like I mentioned, they have two different radio frequencies. Napa has a tool with universal style replacement sensors. They carry both screw on and pull through valves.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:38 AM   #18
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

I'll run through the DIC tire sensor re-learning process one more time for good measure. I thought this was going to be a simple. Only recently has it become sporadic after I went through the instrument panel reset. I just want to trouble shoot it before i start throwing money at replacing valves.

I have the yellow warning indicator as well as the DIC displaying "Check passenger side rear tire" I do have aftermarket wheels, but it was fine when I bought it and was driving it in New Jersey, and for the time I was down in DC I never had an issue, it was only when it was shipped to California.

I'm open to all ideas
Old 12-16-2013, 04:30 AM   #19
89 Trans Am WS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar0ck View Post
it was fine when I bought it and was driving it in New Jersey, and for the time I was down in DC I never had an issue, it was only when it was shipped to California.

I'm open to all ideas

Well there you go. Move back to the Jerz. Solved.

Seriously tho, its probably the sensor in that wheel on its way out. Its not like theres a separate receiver in each wheel well or something that picks up a single wheel, all four transmit to the same module.

The best your going to do in regards to diagnosing it without looking at live TPMS data on a scan tool..or at least what I would do is this:

Rotate your tires.
THEN do the TPMS relearn.
When your light comes on, is it still saying pass rear or has it moved to pass front?
If its moved to pass front, which im betting that it will, you have moved the problem with the wheel and can eliminate any odd ball **** such as rf interference,alien force fields, black magic, etc from the right rear of the truck.

Only thing in the wheel,(unless a black ops agent installed a low powered rf scrambler that turns on randomly) is the TPMS sensor itself.

If you get one, I have seen posts in other forums that people say they have replaced their TPMS valves with rubber ones and popped the 4 tpms units into a capped peice of pipe, tapped on one end to accept a tire valve, and then pumped the pipe up to 35 or whatever psi. I do really like this idea, however im not sure how comfortable I (or the popo) would be with me driving around with what looks like a pipe bomb in my truck..lol.

If you need a hand you know how to get me. ;p
'14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude (Wifey's Ride)
'89 Trans Am WS6 (Gone but not forgotten-SOLD)
'85 Camaro 6 Banger base model, never left the driveway, 1st car (SOLD)
Http://www.cardomain.com/id/red93ta
http://www.fquick.com/freebird
89 Trans Am WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #20
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Yup, that is definitely the way to handle this. Rotate the tires and see if the problem stays or follows.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #21
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

For reference, they work off of 315MHz or 433.92MHz.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #22
Kat
11 Second Club

Uhh put a piece of electric tape over the light and forget about it?

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning