Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > In Car Entertainment

Notices

Old 06-22-2005, 01:11 PM   #1
96ImpSS

Audio Setup?

I was thinking of replacing the existing speakers (6x9(2), 4x6(2), 4"(2) don't hold me to that) in my car and keep the stock head unit. Does anyone have suggestions on speakers? Budget <= $500 for this. Professional-install/self-install? Thanks
Old 06-22-2005, 01:54 PM   #2
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Self install, stock wiring, Boston Acoustics = happy Scott

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 02:03 PM   #3
Fasterthanyou

There are only 3 classes of speakers; 1st is the ultra expensive $250 for a pair MB Quart, Focal, etc. 2nd is the plastic/composite with lots of eye candy (everything in Crutchfield catalog and Best Buy), 3rd is the crappy stock paper cone with crappy wiring and weak magnets. Now for the real kicker, all of those will sound darn good at low to moderate sound levels when you get a dedicated amp. The sound quality is only as good as the weakest link. Just like with an engine and the intake/exhaust. In your case, running any speakers with the head units amplifier is going to sound like ass. That's because if anything, the newer "better" speakers will need more power to get the same sound level. And if you don't know this already, the higher the power the lower the sound quality (distortion). So my recommendation is to upgrade to the cheapest "2nd class" speakers you can find, an external 4-channel amplifier of similar class (pioneer, sony, etc.), 2 RCA cables (again 2nd class, none of the ones from radioshack, need to have thick insulation), and 2 line converters that'll convert the 4 speaker outputs from you head unit into an RCA low voltage signal . Trust me on this, you'll be disapointed if you just upgrade the speakers. If you'll be at Matt's Thursday I can bring a catalog to show you how to setup an excellent budget audio system. I used to be big into Audio until I ran into a wall of no more learning. The curve just dropped out from under me and it got boring really fast. I probably spent $1000 on my system 3 years ago, I don't regret it except that I'm torn between listening to the sound system or my engine's music
\"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......Then, you have enough horsepower\" - Mark Donohue
Fasterthanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 02:53 PM   #4
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasterthanyou
There are only 3 classes of speakers; 1st is the ultra expensive $250 for a pair MB Quart, Focal, etc. 2nd is the plastic/composite with lots of eye candy (everything in Crutchfield catalog and Best Buy), 3rd is the crappy stock paper cone with crappy wiring and weak magnets. Now for the real kicker, all of those will sound darn good at low to moderate sound levels when you get a dedicated amp. The sound quality is only as good as the weakest link. Just like with an engine and the intake/exhaust. In your case, running any speakers with the head units amplifier is going to sound like ass. That's because if anything, the newer "better" speakers will need more power to get the same sound level. And if you don't know this already, the higher the power the lower the sound quality (distortion). So my recommendation is to upgrade to the cheapest "2nd class" speakers you can find, an external 4-channel amplifier of similar class (pioneer, sony, etc.), 2 RCA cables (again 2nd class, none of the ones from radioshack, need to have thick insulation), and 2 line converters that'll convert the 4 speaker outputs from you head unit into an RCA low voltage signal . Trust me on this, you'll be disapointed if you just upgrade the speakers. If you'll be at Matt's Thursday I can bring a catalog to show you how to setup an excellent budget audio system. I used to be big into Audio until I ran into a wall of no more learning. The curve just dropped out from under me and it got boring really fast. I probably spent $1000 on my system 3 years ago, I don't regret it except that I'm torn between listening to the sound system or my engine's music
i went through the same **** when i was young..ive still got a couple of sub boxes in my basement, an mp3 head unit in which i have no car to put it in and several good amps ie rockford fosgate...been there done that, moved on...i would say definitly get an mp3 compatible head unit and maybe a small 2 or 4 channel amp to run some decent aftermarket speakers or just use the new head unit to power them...circuit city offers some really good plug and play connectors to where there is almost no wiring to be done...at least for the head unit.
foff667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 07:50 PM   #5
96ImpSS

Thanks for your advice guys! Prob get a chance to talk to yous at Matt's on thurs. If you can remember to that catalog Jon, that would be solid.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:16 PM   #6
bokey

IMO ... if you don't want to spend a whole lot of money, I would add a decent sub. The stock paper speakers are decent at playing highs and some mids. So you would have decent highs and mids complimented by a nice bass. I would either look at JL or Infinity Kappa Perfect - - for subs. Right now I just got your crappy Sony head unit so I can play my cd's and 6x9 Infinity Kappas in the back. I have to say, they sound beautiful. I was able to pick them up off e-bay for around $100. Kappas for the front 4x6's are around $70.

Then the sub. You can probally get a decent one for about $100-$125 ebayed. The box will be your most imporant part here. If you have a ****** box, then there is no point in having a sub. Make sure you do your research boxes before you buy. It will help! Obviously then your amp... For now, I would get a mono channel amp just for the sub. You can get a decent JL amp for about $200.

---Total Cost: $570

Rockford is an OK amp. The ratings that you see on the box, isn't what the amp can really output.

If you want some really good advice... I'd say do some research and talk to somebody at a Tweeter. I went to the one my me (RT. 1 by Quakerbridge Mall), and the guy I was talking to was very helpful.
bokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 12:31 PM   #7
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokey
If you want some really good advice... I'd say do some research and talk to somebody at a Tweeter. I went to the one my me (RT. 1 by Quakerbridge Mall), and the guy I was talking to was very helpful.
Be careful there - very few people who work their actually know what they are talking about. I had one guy argue with me for 10 minutes that 4" round Boston's would fit the front of my Lumina with no custom work at all (should be 4x6 fronts). I finally made the guy come to the parking lot and show me, and he made an ass of himself

I also know two other people who have had really crappy install jobs done there. In our area, it's worth it to pay a little more and go to Sound Automotive on Quakerbridge Rd.

- Justin

Old 06-25-2005, 06:08 PM   #8
Oddball

So similar question: I ave an apline head unit which comes with a "built in" amp (not sure if it is a pre-amp or not). If I replace the stock speakers wopuld I still need an amp? Most of the time I drive is with the roof off so I know I'm not getting the best sound anyway.

Edit: that's Pioneer not Alpine -- whoooops.

Daily Driver: 2011 Ford Expedition EL (4 very tall kids means suck it up for a while)
Crisis Car: 1986 Chevy Camaro IROC: 5.0L 4BBL Carb, 5-speed, T-tops, "Good afternoon officer how fast was I going" red.
Oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 02:42 PM   #9
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddball
So similar question: I ave an apline head unit which comes with a "built in" amp (not sure if it is a pre-amp or not). If I replace the stock speakers wopuld I still need an amp? Most of the time I drive is with the roof off so I know I'm not getting the best sound anyway.

No, you wouldn't have to get one if you didn't want to. The amps built in to aftermarket HU's are usually much better than factory HU amps. You won't have a problem getting decent sound with an Alpine HU and a good set of speakers.

- Justin

Old 06-26-2005, 06:05 PM   #10
Fozzi58

I've got a few amps for sale. A Lanzar 4 channel and 2 channel and a Rockford 2 way if your interested. Might have a head unit laying around too. Plus some door speakers.

Interested???
Kooks stainless stepped headers, Off-Road Y, Cat Delete; Borla adjustable; MTI air-lid; LSX 90mm intake and TB; TA rear girdle and 3.73's, SFCs; BMR STB; PowerSlots w/ Hawk Pads & braided lines, chrome, embroidery, mirrors, vinyl, lights, Oem Replica Z06's on F:275/35/18; R:285/35/18's, and other aesthetics.

New Project: 89 Formula 350, T's, A4 - Rust & neglect mods by previous owner.
DD: 08 Avy. Best car I ever owned.
Fozzi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 07:09 PM   #11
Oddball

I have a good head unit -- I'm just looking for replacement speakers in the dask and rear panel. If you have anything I'd be interested.

Daily Driver: 2011 Ford Expedition EL (4 very tall kids means suck it up for a while)
Crisis Car: 1986 Chevy Camaro IROC: 5.0L 4BBL Carb, 5-speed, T-tops, "Good afternoon officer how fast was I going" red.
Oddball is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > In Car Entertainment