Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 05-16-2009, 01:36 AM   #1
Camaro.Joe.LT1

Tranny fluid & filter

I just finished changing my tranny fluid and filter. The stuff was pretty brown and smelled burnt so what the heck, maybe it'll shift better now. I took the car to stage one performance on 23 in pompton plains to have the trans scanned, it turns out there are no codes. funny thing after the scan the trans started shifting like it used to, maybe there was a stuck valve or something who knows. I filled the trans with Valvoline high mileage synthetic this fluid supposedly is great for older transmissions. We will soon find out. I will give it a good run tomorrow and see what's up.
Camaro.Joe.LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:04 AM   #2
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro.Joe.LT1 View Post
I took the car to stage one performance on 23 in pompton plains

...Thats all I have to say about them...

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3

Last edited by NJ Torque; 05-16-2009 at 10:05 AM.
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
BigAls87Z28

remember that you only replaced a small amount of fluid in your trans. What comes out with a standard filter change is maybe 2-3 qts while I belive the 4L60E's holds 10 or more?
Filter changing is good, but the majority of the dirt is suspended in the fluid.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:48 PM   #4
Camaro.Joe.LT1

Trans is toast

After working half the night, the car rewarded me with what seems to be a complete trans failure. Second gear is all but gone it just shutters and slips badly, first gear is slipping now and the smell of burnt fluid is very strong.
I think it's time for a Monster, (Mega Monster) shipped to the wayne fed ex hub free.The trans is $1295.00 ready to install except for fluid and converter. A 2300-2500 stall runs $249.00 from Monster. I guess this is the way to go. As of now the car is really not drivable. I'm just wondering how much of a bitch it will be to pull out the old trans and install the new one with out a lift, since everything on a LT1 is a nightmare to work on and access why would this be any different. www.eatmyshift.com

Last edited by Camaro.Joe.LT1; 05-16-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:49 PM   #5
BigAls87Z28

I removed one on a third gen, and something like that without a lift is gunna be a bitch.
Kinda saw the tranny failure coming. If it was never done before and with a lot of miles...

Last edited by BigAls87Z28; 05-16-2009 at 10:56 PM.
BigAls87Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:55 PM   #6
badzracing

Quote:
After working half the night, the car rewarded me with what seems to be a complete trans failure. Second gear is all but gone it just shutters and slips badly, first gear is slipping now and the smell of burnt fluid is very strong.
I think it's time for a Monster, (Mega Monster) shipped to the wayne fed ex hub free.The trans is $1295.00 ready to install except for fluid and converter. A 2300-2500 stall runs $249.00 from Monster. I guess this is the way to go. As of now the car is really not drivable. I'm just wondering how much of a bitch it will be to pull out the old trans and install the new one with out a lift, since everything on a LT1 is a nightmare to work on and access why would this be any different. www.eatmyshift.com
I know of at least 2 far better ways to go...you can PM me for said better ways or PM JS.
badzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:29 PM   #7
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

A TC for 250? Aha. You like blowing up trannys eh?

I would talk to JS or a reputable 4L60E rebuilder, CPT, performabuilt etc.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:29 PM   #8
badzracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shownomercy View Post
A TC for 250? Aha. You like blowing up trannys eh?

I would talk to JS or a reputable 4L60E rebuilder, CPT, performabuilt etc.
If you get a $250 converter from the right people there's no problem. Don't know anything about these monster folks, but I don't think he plans on going 9's. I had a $175 converter in my 4800lb truck going low 12's.
badzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
Camaro.Joe.LT1

$250.00 converter

Nope no 9.00s for this car maybe some day if I wanna spend some extra cash at best 12.70s I feel this is a good number for the street. As of now if I can squeeze out 13.90 I'm happy.

Last edited by Camaro.Joe.LT1; 05-18-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #10
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

so to recap, you were having slight trans issues, you took it to a place that dropped the trans and changed the filter, your car shifted great for a little bit then all out dumped? i gotta think something else may have happened....
Old 05-18-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
Camaro.Joe.LT1

I took the car to stage one performance to get the trans scanned for any codes. They found no codes, driving home after that the car seemed better and didn't slip as much. I changed the filter and fluid thinking it might help due to a clogged filter burnt oil. But there is major problem as of now the trans has little or no second gear it just slips and shutters and the car hardly moves at all in second gear.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:23 PM   #12
Frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
so to recap, you were having slight trans issues, you took it to a place that dropped the trans and changed the filter, your car shifted great for a little bit then all out dumped? i gotta think something else may have happened....
No, he violated cardinal rule #1 when dealing with dirty/old trans fluid....DON'T CHANGE IT! lol
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:32 PM   #13
crainholio

Quote:
I took the car to stage one performance to get the trans scanned for any codes. They found no codes, driving home after that the car seemed better and didn't slip as much. I changed the filter and fluid thinking it might help due to a clogged filter burnt oil. But there is major problem as of now the trans has little or no second gear it just slips and shutters and the car hardly moves at all in second gear.
I helped a guy who had the exact same problem right after a fluid and filter change. We found that he didn't remove the old rubber grommet/gasket that seals the filter and pickup tube to the trans body...couldn't get it out, so he just left it there.

When we got the old one out, installed a brand new one and put the filter in properly, problem solved.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline