Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 05-21-2009, 11:53 PM   #1
vipergtx500

changed the fluid in the T56 tonight

So I swapped out the old fluid tonight and the shifter seems to move a lot smoother, the car doesn't lock out of 1st at a stop like it used to do now and then, and I don't have to try as hard to shift smoothly.
However, while I was under there I noticed that my inspection cover was completely loose, only being held on because there is a loop that goes around the starter. Does anyone know what bolts I need to refasten it to the tranny? I think I counted 6-7 holes.

1996 Firebird Formula M6 Black/Ebony
K&N CAI, Flowmaster Catback Exhaust, MGW Short Shifter, DMH cutout, UMI STB and SFC's, LS1 Front Brakes, Tune by Madtuner

1995 Cherokee Sport 4.0L - Stock...for now

Last edited by vipergtx500; 05-21-2009 at 11:54 PM.
vipergtx500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:14 AM   #2
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergtx500 View Post
So I swapped out the old fluid tonight and the shifter seems to move a lot smoother, the car doesn't lock out of 1st at a stop like it used to do now and then, and I don't have to try as hard to shift smoothly.
However, while I was under there I noticed that my inspection cover was completely loose, only being held on because there is a loop that goes around the starter. Does anyone know what bolts I need to refasten it to the tranny? I think I counted 6-7 holes.

I believe there are 4 bolts: Two at the bottom, and Two at the top that are a PITA to get too. I don't know the size off the top of my head. I'll try to look thenm up this weekend if I get a chance.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
vipergtx500

thanks a lot man I appreciate it

K&N CAI, Flowmaster Catback Exhaust, MGW Short Shifter, DMH cutout, UMI STB and SFC's, LS1 Front Brakes, Tune by Madtuner

Old 05-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
Jensend

If I understand your post, you are talking about the bell housing bolts that secure the bell housing, intermediate housing and trans to the engine. My recollection is that there are five bolts. The one at the 12 o'clock position is difficult to access. The easiest way to tighten that one is to use about 4-5 foot worth of extensions and a swivel socket. That allows you to clear the housing and still get the socket squarely on the bolt. I used an impact gun, but a regular ratchet will work just as well and probably would allow a shallower angle.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:21 PM   #5
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensend View Post
If I understand your post, you are talking about the bell housing bolts that secure the bell housing, intermediate housing and trans to the engine.
No, pretty sure he's talking about the inspection cover:

http://afrashteh.com/tranny_pics/ins..._and_bolts.jpg

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
vipergtx500

Yupp, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Do I have to order the bolts from the dealer or can i get them from somewhere else? And I'm assuming i need 4 as Pampered-Z mentioned above?

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline