Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 05-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
The Fixer

Pinion Seal Replacement??

OK, the rear in my '88 Monte SS has a bit over 200K miles on it. It doesn't whine, but the pinion seal recently started leaking - a lot. I replaced it probably 4 years and 10K miles ago, by the factory method of marking the pinion nut, removing the nut and seal, replacing the seal, and re-installing the nut to just past the mark I made, so it's not over-tightened. I'm gonna check the vent tube tomorrow, but assuming that's not blocked, would it be allright to change the pinion seal again?

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
johnjzjz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPI Monte SS View Post
OK, the rear in my '88 Monte SS has a bit over 200K miles on it. It doesn't whine, but the pinion seal recently started leaking - a lot. I replaced it probably 4 years and 10K miles ago, by the factory method of marking the pinion nut, removing the nut and seal, replacing the seal, and re-installing the nut to just past the mark I made, so it's not over-tightened. I'm gonna check the vent tube tomorrow, but assuming that's not blocked, would it be allright to change the pinion seal again?
sure But check the yoke spud for wear at the spot the seal sits if so you might want to replace it < - jz
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Yep, go ahead. But like John said, check the yoke and make sure it's not worn.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
The Fixer

OK guys, that sounds good! I'll post back with my results tomorrow - weather permitting, of course.

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline