Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 07-03-2008, 11:41 PM   #1
usp55

gears and posi unit

Currently have 3.23 gears in a non posi rear. I would like to get rid of this peg led and throw a posi unit in there and if the gears have to be pulled to do so i might aswell upgrade them aswell. So i have a few questions...

1. Upgrade to 3.42's or 3.73's? if im gona upgrade might as well go to 3.73's right?
2. Richmond, Motive, Summit brand?
3. which posi? - A fellow camaro guy recomended "Dan's Gears" on ebay. They are rebuilt posi units. Not a bad deal for $125. Im not trying to throw a $500 detroit locker in there.
4. Is there any other way to get a posi rear, besides welding the spider gears or simply looking for a full posi rearend. Been looking for over a month now and havent found anything.
5, and lastly a ballpark figure for the amount of hours it should take a shop to install

Thanks

Last edited by usp55; 07-04-2008 at 09:40 AM.
usp55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #2
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by usp55 View Post
Currently have 3.32 gears in a non posi rear. I would like to get rid of this peg led and throw a posi unit in there and if the gears have to be pulled to do so i might aswell upgrade them aswell. So i have a few questions...

1. Upgrade to 3.42's or 3.73's? if im gona upgrade might as well go to 3.73's right?
2. Richmond, Motive, Summit brand?
3. which posi? - A fellow camaro guy recomended "Dan's Gears" on ebay. They are rebuilt posi units. Not a bad deal for $125. Im not trying to throw a $500 detroit locker in there.
4. Is there any other way to get a posi rear, besides welding the spider gears or simply looking for a full posi rearend. Been looking for over a month now and havent found anything.
5, and lastly a ballpark figure for the amount of hours it should take a shop to install

Thanks

1.) I'd do 3.73s
2.) Motive, Richmond, US Gear, or any of the big name brands. I wouldn't use a "house brand" or "white box" gear.
3.) A Zexel-Torsen takeout will be your best bet and shouldn't be too expensive.
4.) No. You want a limited slip differential. Welding spider gears will make a diff into a spool, which isn't safe on the street, especially for a 7.5" ten bolt.
5.) Not sure, depends on if they take the extra care to make sure the gears aren't noisy.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:46 AM   #3
alamantia

look on ebay, ls1.com, ls1tech.com and just buy a whole rear, for $200 go for a torsen 99 and later f-bodies had them, no clutches to wear out
alamantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:16 AM   #4
JSPERFORMANCE
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

Social Networks:

Labor to rebuild a rear diff is around $325 here
I doubt you have 3.32 gears
If you have to build the 10 bolt, the best posi unit to buy is an Eaton
Check again, if your current gear ratio is satisfactory, just swapping in a posi unit will save you around $300 between parts and labor
Old 07-04-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
usp55

sorry i meant 3.23's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10-bo...ayphotohosting

but if Eaton's r the best then the rebuilts from dans gears are eatons

Last edited by usp55; 07-04-2008 at 10:04 AM.
usp55 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline