Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 07-05-2008, 09:49 PM   #1
heavy_chevy29

powerglide trans questions

i just picked up a build powerglide from my friend. i noticed that you can pull the input shaft right out of the stator shaft( he said that it has a th350 input shaft). is this normal. i dont really know to much about the glides. also can i use a lock up converter with the glide. i know that the glide does not have the lock up feature. will this ruin the converter. thanks alot
heavy_chevy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
JSPERFORMANCE
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

Social Networks:

if you have a power glide with a turbo spline input shaft you have to use a converter for a th350 or 400 non lock up. Yes the input shaft will come out of a powerglide if you pull on it.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:17 PM   #3
heavy_chevy29

so if i use the lock up converter that i have, would it ruin the converter or the trans. or would it just not lock up. thanks for the reply.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
johnjzjz

i have 2 glide convertors one has the correct stock glide input spline and i can exchange with you if thats the one you need the front shafts are interchangable but they come in 2 different lengths 6 cylinder and the longer of the two is the V8 one, the unit i have , its 2500 stall 10 inch i believe, the aftermarket turbo spline shaft is in the middle of the two stocks ones in length and can be used for both the 1:82 gear set and the 1:76 which is the V8 one - if your car makes around 475 to 500 HP than a 6 cyl gear set will last for a while with out using a transbrake the V8 is much stronger of the two - 50 bucks for the convertor and the front shaft exchange is free i have many of both - if you dont know how to tell what you have i can help - is this an X racing unit ?????? if so what type of valve body does it have ??????? was it in a footbrake car or a super pro car with a trans brake -- jz
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
johnjzjz

a glide pre dates any lock yet to be made as the end of its use was 1973

its 2 speed with the same ratio as any other trans of the day be it 4 speed stick or 350 / 400 turbo - jetaway what ever --

you can not put a lock up in one - yes i have seen an over drive but only once - jz
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:29 PM   #6
heavy_chevy29

ok thanks alot. i got this from a friend of mine. he got it with the car he bought (mid 80s cutlass). it was a drag car(mostly 1/8 mile). i know that the owner before him had a very healthy nitrous small block powering the car. i dont know to much about the trans. i do know that it was from a v8 car, has the th350/400 splined input shaft, and it also has a manual valvebody with a transbrake. he has a 5000 stall converter that came with the car that he will let me use, but i think thats going to be to much. i have the one that came out of my 700r4 which is a vigilantie 3400stall lock up converter with under 1000miles on it. thats why i asked the question about using a lock up converter in a glide. if i could have used the converter i have, i would. i figured it would save me some money. but ill just sell it and buy another non lock up one. or i could just borrow my friends converter.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:35 PM   #7
JSPERFORMANCE
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

Social Networks:

700 converter is totally different than th350/400, glide etc.. Lock up dosent even matter at that point.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline