Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 09-01-2005, 01:40 AM   #1
LoudAssZ

LT4 Conversion

Need your opinion... Was thinking about an LT4 conversion..Emailed the people that are selling and it and the guy told me that due to my high milage the cam wore a pattern into the block and putting a new bigger one in can create a different pattern which can lead to problems... What do you think??
LoudAssZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 01:57 AM   #2
j0n

lt4 conversion is a waste of money...and with the mileage you have it may be worth it to just build a new motor
Old 09-01-2005, 05:53 AM   #3
Batman
11 Second Club

I don't think the LT4 is a waste of money, everybody seems so focused on Max power they overlook alot of good benefits. Here is a proven set up that is relatively cheap, will make the car run better and is plenty of power for a street car. Who wants to deal with a car so ragged it is barely driveable? I've seen plenty of LT4 swaps running mid to low 12's (with the hotcam). Persoanlly if it was me I would just rebuild the block and put a nice cam in it, especially with gas hovering above $3.00 a gallon now. But to answer your question it is possible for the cam to wear a pattern in the cam bearings. If you have over 50K mileage on your car It would be best to do a rebuild and get new cam bearings but may not be necessary. I would do it right the first time rather then roll the dice, but it is up to you.
Chasing 10's
469RWH/437RWTQ
11.05 @ 123
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 01:00 PM   #4
Formulalt1

Its not a waste of money but not a bargain for your money either. IMO. You can get a much better deal and run right next to or blow away lt4 conv cars. The LT4 hotcam is definetly a bargain and a very good street/strip cam IMO but the heads are not a bargain and with a basic port job done to your stock set of heads you will flow much better numbers. I don't think 50K or close to it is in need of a rebuild on a unabused LT1. I have seen people put really agressive cams and swap heads on lt1's with like 150K and go like 3 years with it. Sure at 150K your at alot more risk but if the car is healthy and is under 120K. I wouldn't worry too much about a rebuild right now. Just my opinion though take it as you will.

John
Old 10-03-2005, 08:08 PM   #5
zulu723

For a bit more then rebuilding your motor, you might consider just buying a crate motor from GM....MORE horses and a warranty to boot !!!
zulu723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 09:20 PM   #6
bad64chevelle
I will beat you with a toaster!

FWIW if youre gonna toss a cam in there you might as well just pull the motor do a quick rebuild and make sure your investment will last. Id rather take the time to make sure everything will be ok then spending money on the same thing twice god forbid there is any complication. You dont know how the motor is until you take it apart and check it.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning