Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > In Car Entertainment

Notices

Old 12-29-2007, 10:31 PM   #1
transamkid
14 Second Club

started a system for the v6

well since only my door speakers in my v6 worked, my gf got me some pioneer 6x9's for x-mas to go in the trunk. well today to add to those i picked up a set of alpine components spr-17s type r speakers. they were like 270 when it was all said and done. but since i already have the same speakers in the doors and these are an upgrade do i need to use the crossovers they gave me. and after these, im want to put some subs in. but if i do that do i need to get a new headunit? currently i have a monsoon head unit from a '00 t/a.
-1989 Harley Softail Custom
-2000 Trans Am, M6, WS6 *SOLD* *RIP*
transamkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:48 PM   #2
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

I don't know a lot about the different factory 4th gen stereo setups, but wasn't the monsoon system rated for a different amount of ohms than most aftermarket speakers? And didn't they also come with a factory amp?

I would find out (if you don't already know) what exactly was swapped over from the doner car.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:57 AM   #3
slasherbarb
Fidget Lover

i would recommend getting an aftermarket head unit...mainly because installing an amp is a little easier on an aftermarket unit because they come with RCA outputs and some even come with amplifier controls for and external amp...but i think you can still use your factory headunit, but i think you would need to get an FM modulator unit so that it works better witht the unit...i'll ask my cousin who does this for a living and see what he says...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy
Barb = fist pump extraordinaire
- Justin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba428 View Post
just for the record...whos falus is lodged in your sfincter
slasherbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:32 AM   #4
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

ditch the stock head unit, it shouldn't be a question. if you're running component speakers, you SHOULD be running an aftermarket headunit and a aftermarket amp. of course you can make it work without, but the end result will suck and you will have to do additional steps to make it work. my philosophy is do it right the first time, and avoid a headache
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:34 PM   #5
transamkid
14 Second Club

as of 2m im taking the aftermarket unit out of the '80 since its going to be all business. ill put that one in the '94 just need a dash kit. also im thinking of a 4 channel amp
Old 01-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #6
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamkid View Post
as of 2m im taking the aftermarket unit out of the '80 since its going to be all business. ill put that one in the '94 just need a dash kit. also im thinking of a 4 channel amp
with those kinda speakers, i think a 4channel is damn near a must... but it will certainly sound awesome when your done
Old 01-05-2008, 11:00 PM   #7
transamkid
14 Second Club

so today i took the pioneer head unit out of the t/a and put it in the v6. picked up the dash kit and wiring adapter from wal-mart, was like 20 bucks all together. man, what a difference. still want a 4 channel amp i think and subs though
Old 01-05-2008, 11:05 PM   #8
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamkid View Post
so today i took the pioneer head unit out of the t/a and put it in the v6. picked up the dash kit and wiring adapter from wal-mart, was like 20 bucks all together. man, what a difference. still want a 4 channel amp i think and subs though
do the 4 channel first. and then see if you need to get subs. should be nice. look around for used stuff, people are always buying and selling car audio
Old 01-05-2008, 11:11 PM   #9
transamkid
14 Second Club

amazon.com had some good stuff at good prices
Old 01-07-2008, 10:25 PM   #10
transamkid
14 Second Club

picked up a set of 10 inch JL's today in a box for $60 gonna hook them up 2m. my type r component tweeters are acting up. the drivers side is getting static and the pasg. side was blow out from the box and best buy wont return them with out the whole kit. gonna call alpine and see if they will fix em
Old 01-08-2008, 10:00 AM   #11
qwikz28

Social Networks:

i think you're issues are related to your lack of amp. remember, its not overpowering that causes blown speakers. its distortion and overheating, which i'm sure you had plenty of
Old 01-08-2008, 03:59 PM   #12
transamkid
14 Second Club

whats a good head unit to get that has little to no distortion? in like 2 weeks im going to buy an amp and see about another head unit

Last edited by transamkid; 01-08-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:15 PM   #13
qwikz28

Social Networks:

alpine and pioneer are the two big dawgs. 3 sets of higher voltage pre-outs is always a good feature to look for
Old 01-09-2008, 09:32 PM   #14
transamkid
14 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
alpine and pioneer are the two big dawgs. 3 sets of higher voltage pre-outs is always a good feature to look for
explain this, im not that deep into the technical audio things yet. what are 3 sets of pre outs? my head unit say MOSFET 50wx4 on it, is that good?
Old 01-10-2008, 08:14 PM   #15
V
Stalker

ill jump in on this one... each pre-out is a pair of rca connections.
2 of those pairs are for your "interior speakers", each single rca plug is "1 channel"(1 ch)... so 4 total individual rca plugs mean 4 channels(4 ch)... right front, right rear, left front, left rear... good so far? those rcas plug into a 4ch amp and then you wire the interior speakers to that amp.

now the 3rd pair of RCAs are for your subwoofers. they have a specific signal just for for the lower "tones" of the bass. they are right and left(stereo).

the 50wx4 on the headunit is the power output the headunit ALONE would put out to the interior speakers if NOT using the pre-outs. if you wanna run a 4ch amp you can, but have to run speaker wires through the whole car. in a simple system, the 50w will do for most interior speakers. Higher end ones work better with more watts.

i would recommend Pioneer head units till the day i die, that is ALL i run. I just installed their one bluetooth compatible head units. i love it.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:23 AM   #16
1_BAD_NBM_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS View Post
ill jump in on this one... each pre-out is a pair of rca connections.
2 of those pairs are for your "interior speakers", each single rca plug is "1 channel"(1 ch)... so 4 total individual rca plugs mean 4 channels(4 ch)... right front, right rear, left front, left rear... good so far? those rcas plug into a 4ch amp and then you wire the interior speakers to that amp.

now the 3rd pair of RCAs are for your subwoofers. they have a specific signal just for for the lower "tones" of the bass. they are right and left(stereo).

the 50wx4 on the headunit is the power output the headunit ALONE would put out to the interior speakers if NOT using the pre-outs. if you wanna run a 4ch amp you can, but have to run speaker wires through the whole car. in a simple system, the 50w will do for most interior speakers. Higher end ones work better with more watts.

i would recommend Pioneer head units till the day i die, that is ALL i run. I just installed their one bluetooth compatible head units. i love it.
Well put... If you need any help with any installation, just let me know. Once you install one and figure out how everything works it becomes simple.
1_BAD_NBM_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 01:13 PM   #17
qwikz28

Social Networks:

i like pioneer also.... but i must say i would never get rid of my eclipse in my camaro. but the saturn is getting a pioneer once my parrot takes a poop.

but i will disagree on paul on the fact that you SHOULD be running a 4 channel. a 50x4 headunit is not enough for component speakers that you have
Old 01-13-2008, 02:00 PM   #18
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
but i will disagree on paul on the fact that you SHOULD be running a 4 channel. a 50x4 headunit is not enough for component speakers that you have
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokingss
in a simple system, the 50w will do for most interior speakers. Higher end ones work better with more watts.
i would recommend a 4ch in this case, i moreorless meant the 50wx4 will work with stock speakers or cheap replacements. i didnt really look to see what speakers he had till now. the alpines i would consider higher end, and yes therefore should be used with a 4ch amplifer as well.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:36 PM   #19
transamkid
14 Second Club

well right now im looking for an alpine or other good brand 4ch amp and have a guy selling 2 alpine type r subs with an amp. trying to settle on a price with him
Old 01-13-2008, 09:42 PM   #20
qwikz28

Social Networks:

sorry paul, i misread your post. but yeah let us know how it goes transamkid
Old 02-20-2008, 11:22 AM   #21
transamkid
14 Second Club

ok so after about a month of having subs, i finally got a 1000 watt amp for them
they kick unreal and i love it, also hooked up the speakers in my back seat, the ones in the sail panels, they didnt work for some reason. but im pretty pleased with my system for now, might get a flip screen head unit and a 4 ch amp for the type r's

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > In Car Entertainment