Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 04-29-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
transmaro93

Scatter sheild... LT1/T56... ??'s

Hey guys pulled my trans and after it broke this time im thinking i should put a scatter sheild in just incase it worse if this happens again. There isnt to much to choose from for lt1's. Iv only found two brands Mcleod and Quicktime. they are both about the same price. but i couldnt find to much about the quicktime one but the mcleod one it seems ill have to change my slave cyl setup and change the pilot bearing umunst other things. Anybody have any experience with this setup that can shed some light on what im getting into. or if someone knows another brand of one that is more of a direct bolt in that is sfi approved and what not... Thanks for any help...
Old 04-30-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

I know Brian has a blanket around his.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
transmaro93

yea those are made for autos.. read a couple stories of 6spds comming apart with those and the people still had some broken toes and messed up legs... but its better than having no legs... but id rather spend a little extra now and be safer. im prob gonna use the mcleod one. did some reasearch and it looks like their new one you can keepyour same slave cyl. even if my clutch doesnt come apart it still ups the value of my car and its peice of mind. crap is just so damn expensive... its a peice of sheet metal!
Old 04-30-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmaro93 View Post
yea those are made for autos.. read a couple stories of 6spds comming apart with those and the people still had some broken toes and messed up legs... but its better than having no legs... but id rather spend a little extra now and be safer. im prob gonna use the mcleod one. did some reasearch and it looks like their new one you can keepyour same slave cyl. even if my clutch doesnt come apart it still ups the value of my car and its peice of mind. crap is just so damn expensive... its a peice of sheet metal!
Ever "hefted" one in your hand? They aren't exactly made of thin gauge stuff.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
transmaro93

haha no i know they are quite heavier than the stock cast aluminum junk... its just crazy how expensive they are for a peice of metal... but it serves a purpose.. hence the price tag
Old 05-03-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

The Mcleod is a nice unit, but remember that only covers the clutch, not the trans. I run a blanket for that reason. It not required, you can pick up an expired one cheap. I think I paid $25 for mine
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Heard from my buddy the mcleod is crap and to go with the QTP. I will continue with running the blanket and hope for the best.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
BarneyMobile
9 Second Club

Its not an LT1 but I run the Quicktime bellhousing and it fits like stock. They make tons of application. FWIW, I've never seen or heard of a T56 breaking bad enough to have parts exit the main case. I dont see a reason for you to run a trans blanket. Theres really not that much going on inside a T56 like there is with an auto. I will say, if you plan on racing, an SFI bellhousing is a must.

2000 SS M6
9.71 @ 142
BarneyMobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #9
transmaro93

ok guys thanks for the input... and i broke the trans racing so the bellhousing will get done... hey brian any further info on why the mcleod unit is no good? cause from what iv seen it looks like the mcleod is an easier install..
Old 05-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #10
Blackbirdws6

Quote:
ok guys thanks for the input... and i broke the trans racing so the bellhousing will get done... hey brian any further info on why the mcleod unit is no good? cause from what iv seen it looks like the mcleod is an easier install..
He just said the fitment was crap and he had to trim a few things to make it work. His comment was that if he did it again, he would just go with the quicktime unit. I am running a blanket on my bellhousing to at least divert and carnage from my legs. Prob should have gone with a racing spec unit but hopefully I won't look back on this thread and shake my head.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Old 05-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #11
transmaro93

hah i think youll be ok... see i only found one good thread on a mcleod unit installed on an lt1 and the guy said it went in like a glove... no mods needed... so i donno im gonna call them direct and talk to them about it... hey brian if yoiu dont mind me asking... what did they charge you for your trans over haul? just wanted to see what the # was on that to compare with quotes i get.. thanks if youll share that.. if not then cookies i guess
Old 05-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #12
Blackbirdws6

Quote:
hah i think youll be ok... see i only found one good thread on a mcleod unit installed on an lt1 and the guy said it went in like a glove... no mods needed... so i donno im gonna call them direct and talk to them about it... hey brian if yoiu dont mind me asking... what did they charge you for your trans over haul? just wanted to see what the # was on that to compare with quotes i get.. thanks if youll share that.. if not then cookies i guess
The trans was right about $2,100-$2,200 including shipping. I got in on the free shipping as well when I ordered. If you look at the site, I got the level 3 build with the new second gear and bearings.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Old 05-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #13
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Don't overlook calling Bob Hanlon, he does great work ---->

I'm taking him a trans this summer.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #14
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Bob did Brandon's first build. He knew he was at the limit of the setup and I guess he found that out first hand.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #15
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

How old was the thread? McLeod did the first SFI bell housing for the LT1 with an inital order of 50, and there were some trans alignment issues as there was an alignment plate, I think the second generation of the bell housing is suppose to be better.

That said, I've stalled a few of the LSx version and have had no issues as far at fit or quality, I see no reason to think their LT1 version would be any less.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #16
monte383sbc

i just bought a qtp for my ls to m6 but havent installed it yet, i will be next tuesday, its is a very nice product as i can see, i will let you kno how it fits, and it should fit near perfect from what ive bin told....
monte383sbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #17
transmaro93

ok thanks for the help guys... actually i called hanlon last week and leftg a message and he never called me back... and im not looking to take the 4hr drive there and back again... so im gonna get some quotes elsewhere... bob seemed like a really nice guy and warned me of the trans not be stong enough but didntd stress on it so i kept the stock main shaft...
Old 05-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #18
monte383sbc

jus got my qtp bellhousing in today and it fit perfect no problems at all, very nice peice

98 Transam, 46k, forged 347, ms3 cam, prc ls6 heads, fast 90 intake, 42lb injectors, kooks lt's, custom 3''to4'' y pipe, qtp cutout, tick performance level 3 t56, monster level 6 clutch, dennys d/s, moser 9'' 4:10s locker, tune numbers coming soon........
98 dodge stratus, daily driver, about to detonate!
93 f150, gets worse gas milage then the t/a, junk fords
00 cbr 929, its no 600 but not quit a 1000, lol
07 rmz 450, motocross bike
monte383sbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #19
transmaro93

great...i think im gonna end up going with the quick time peice too...

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline