Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 07-10-2006, 07:25 PM   #1
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Comp Pro Magnum Rockers installed, valve covers gutted...

Well after searching LS1Tech.com, I have a few options. Aftermarket covers which equal aftermarket $$$$$, Spacers and possibly some light grinding and both of these would probably require new plug wires because of the coil packs moving up I'm not sure if there would be enough slack in the stock wire. Or the route I chose, gut the inside of the factory cover, maintain the sleeper look and be done with it.

So heres some pics of the rockers (already adjusted and ready to go). The are probably a bit on the loose side, and will need another going over once the motor is back in the car and running. And next is the a shot of the covers. The passenger side cover required removing the tin (oil deflection?) shield and grind on a couple of the coil mount bosses which protrude into the underside of the cover. The driver side cover required completely removing the black pastic baffles and cutting out the aluminum wing they are attached too. Some of the coil bosses need to be massaged as well. There is a good amount of meat on the bottom side of the bosses and I went slow, but still broke through on one...no big deal, that's what j-b weld is for or maybe just some thread sealer on that coil mount....

Headers are at Johnson's Powder coating getting freshened up....and prothane motor mounts are on their way from Summit.....with any luck this weekend, maybe just maybe the motor might actually make its way back into the engine bay.....Still have to install the clutch, new bearing, blowproof bell and relocate the battery to the rear (that may be a winter job, I want to drive the damn thing)

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP00909.JPG (45.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DCP00911.JPG (39.5 KB, 18 views)

1999 Formula 6spd (The driver)
1997 2500 Ext. Cab Dodge 4x4 CTD 5spd (The Earth Mover)
1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
1QWIKBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:45 PM   #2
ATVracer

What else is done to it?

Why was the motor out?

Looks good!
Old 07-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #3
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

looks great man. did you use stock ratio pro mags or did you up them a little?
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:37 PM   #4
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVracer
What else is done to it?

Why was the motor out?

Looks good!
the motor was out because a rocker arm failed and spilled its guts (needle bearings) everywhere, so pulled it all apart to find all those little bastards. I didn't make any other upgrades performance-wise. I did check all the bearings and install a new chain (LS-2, way beefier than original chain) and new katech ported oil pump, katech rod bolts, arp head studs and new aluminum flywheel and spec 3+ clutch (kinda nervous about that choice??) oh and new rocker arms/guideplates from comp cams, stock ratio. Also I am adding an oil temp gauge and water temp gauge....more durability type upgrades than anything.

Chris

1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
Old 07-11-2006, 10:20 AM   #5
V
Stalker

Have you considered doing the LS6 pcv conversion? without those baffles you will most likely pull even more oil through thr stock pcv system> With the LS6 setup, it pulls from the lifter valley and leave the valve covers alone. to do the conversion, you just need the LS6 valley cover(like $50 from GM), a plug for the val;ve cover(available from GM as well($10 i think) and a short piece of rubber line. Also since you have a pre-'01 ls1 block, there is a small casting boss inside the valley that you will need to grind/trim to make the ls6 valley cover fit.
You may not care to do the conversion but i figured id just mention it now.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:20 PM   #6
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS
Have you considered doing the LS6 pcv conversion? without those baffles you will most likely pull even more oil through thr stock pcv system> With the LS6 setup, it pulls from the lifter valley and leave the valve covers alone. to do the conversion, you just need the LS6 valley cover(like $50 from GM), a plug for the val;ve cover(available from GM as well($10 i think) and a short piece of rubber line. Also since you have a pre-'01 ls1 block, there is a small casting boss inside the valley that you will need to grind/trim to make the ls6 valley cover fit.
You may not care to do the conversion but i figured id just mention it now.
I was concerned about oil consumption, but had forgotten about the LS6 option....thanks. I was gonna run breathers or a tank...but the ls6 setup may be for subtle....smog nazi and all......

THanks
Chris

1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning