Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 03-13-2007, 06:35 PM   #1
1337jeeper

X/H-pipe and NJ emissions testing...Non-F body.

Some of you may be asking yourselves why I'm on a F-body forum asking the following questions- I know alot of you push the envelope when it comes to legality here in NJ, so i figured you guys would know best.

I'm contemplating making a custom H or X (havent decided which just yet) pipe and same side duals (think '04 GTO) on my V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee ('02, so obviously OBDII). These would be used with stock exhaust manifolds (they flow extremely well out of the box, the factory Y pipe does not).

As I understand it you're not allowed to move the location of cats and such around. As it stands now, the Y pipe has 2 precats, then merges into a 2.5" single pipe with 1 cat and muffler.

What I planned to do (I have a friend who has a MIG welder and will weld pretty much anything i want for cheap) was run piping from the exhaust manifolds, have hi-flow precats in roughly the same spots as OEM, then the merge, then from there run the pipes side by side with 2 hi flow cats in the same position as OEM, then a DI/DO magnaflow muffler, then on with full tailpipes (i.e. no dumps/side exits). I know this will not set off any CEL or anything of that sort, and should pass emissions with no trouble if they decide to put it on the sniffer, but what about the visual inspection?

Please help before i find myself with a DD that wont pass inspection.

Thanks,
Ryan

\'02 Honda 250ex- Maxxis Razrs on Douglass .190 rims, custom velocity stack intake w/ UNI air filter, Pro Circuit Header, Pro Circuit T-4, 2 inch endcap, No spark arrestor, no quiet core, rejetted carb.....Turbo in the works
\'84 Honda Z50R- lots of new parts, new QA50 engine....sold 8/15/04

Last edited by 1337jeeper; 03-13-2007 at 06:36 PM.
1337jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:03 AM   #2
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

99% of the time you shouldn't have any issues with inspection on a setup like that, but if you do find someone who wants to be a pain the butt about it, they can prolly fail you for it.

I would go for it anyway. As long as you keep them in the same general locations, I'm sure you won't have to worry about it.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:42 AM   #3
Mike
BadMod

its obd2, and if it passes the computer test it will pass.....

do you really thing the morons they hire know the exact way the bottom of that truck should look? they will stick the mirror under the truck, see cats and also know that the computer tells them that the cats are there.

i damn near passed with NO cats just because they were paying more attention to what the computer was telling them than what their eyes could have

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:33 PM   #4
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrrmike View Post
i damn near passed with NO cats just because they were paying more attention to what the computer was telling them than what their eyes could have

that's a great story too

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.
Savage_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning