Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 02-25-2008, 10:20 PM   #1
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

LT1 Radiator

I'm putting an LT1 out of a 96 Z28 into my 79 camaro. do I have to use a special radiator due to the reverse coolant flow or can i use a stock second gen radiator?
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:02 AM   #2
JSPERFORMANCE
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

Social Networks:

afco just brought out a bunch of ls1/lt1 "swap" radiators I would probably check them out, it might make life easier for you.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
BonzoHansen
Admin.

It doesn't look all the special to me. I'd say it's more of a packaging issue. High hose on LH, low hose on RH. Hoses are the big issue.

1996 Z28
PROLIANCE Part # 432399 $147 Rockauto

Make: GM
Core Size: 24 3/4 x 17 1/4 x 1 3/8
No. of Rows: 1
Tank Inlet: 2 1/2 x 18 3/4
Tank Outlet: 2 1/2 x 18 3/4
Inlet Connection: 1 5/16 Top Left
Outlet Connection: 1 5/16 Bottom Right
TOC: 11 1/2
Construction: Plastic Tank Aluminum Core
Mounting: Channel
Comments: Sensor Fitting on RH Tank

The one in my 77 Z28:
PROLIANCE Part # 433162 $104 RockAuto

Make: GM
Core Size: 26 3/8 x 17 x 1 1/8
No. of Rows: 1
Tank Inlet: 2 3/4 x 18 5/8
Tank Outlet: 2 3/4 x 18 5/8
Inlet Connection: 1 5/16-1 9/16 Top Left
Outlet Connection: 1 9/16 Bottom Right
TOC: 8
Construction: Plastic Tank Aluminum Core
Mounting: Channel
Comments: Heater Return Line w/Plug on RH Tank; Heater Retun Tube Included

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Standard is fine, but it doesn't have the small upper inlet for the head vent. (can't see it in Bonzo's pic, but there is a 1/2" inlet just below the rad. cap )

Now, I'd double check this, some years differ a bit and my 93 is slightly different: There are 5 inlet/outlets on the WP, Two large for the rad hoses, 3 smaller. The two small on the pass side are for the heater, Bottom is feed, upper is return, and the one on the Drivers side can be blocked off. I think that line is on the 93 is feed off the upper hose, and on 95+ it's a seprae line out of the Rad. So you propable just need to block it off at the pump.

** What you also need to do is "T" the vent hose from the back of the heads into the rad return hose. Even though it is called a vent it is a pressured line, you can't dump it back into the rad use the overflow hose or tank. You don't want to do away with this hose, air pockets could form in the heads and crack them and routing in into the heater hose will recirculate hot coolant! **
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!

Last edited by Pampered-Z; 02-27-2008 at 04:29 PM. Reason: DAMN keys too close together! looks like I Kant speel!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampered-Z View Post
Standard is fine, but it doesn't have the small upper inlet for the head vent. (can't see it in Bonzo's pic, but there is a 1/2" inlet just below the rad. cap )
The 2nd gen version above has a heater hose nipple just under the rad cap. Would that work?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:41 AM   #6
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

If you can use the LT1 radiator it will solve a lot of problems. My 68 had a standard 68 radiator in it. I had to T in the rear steam vent line and I think the car had the Impala/Caprice LT1 water pump which is set up differently than the F-body one. Look at the 2 water pumps and you'll see the difference and it might make things easier. The biggest pain was the 1-1/4" LT1 radiator hose fittings trying to go on the 1-1/2 or 1-5/8 radiator. I think some of the Corvette radiators from the late 80's or early 90's used the 1-1/4" inlet/outlets and I thought about trying one of them but never got around to it. Car Craft did a whole series of articles when they put an LT1 into a 67 RS conv. They used a mid 60's Corvette overflow tank mounted up high to connect the steam line and then let it flow back down. It's also worth checking Ebay for custom built radiators and Pro-Touring.com as well.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech