Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Multimedia

Notices

Old 11-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #51
greenformula92

These pics are amazing and sad all at the same time

2018 Silverado 1500
greenformula92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #52
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

I made the trip down to Union Beach on Saturday morning and, along with some alma mater, helped an old college buddy & his family with their post-Sandy needs.

Union Beach was wrecked; I didn't snap many pictures, but here are two of a townhouse on the water that completely collapsed:

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #53
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Insane guys. I've been through Point Beach, Bay Head, and looked towards Mantaloking for work related reasons. Its pretty emotional seeing all of the belongings on the sides of the roads. I don't want to take photos, I feel too bad for the people who suffered far worse than I did. National Guard is still checking id's in Bay Head and there are a couple check points towards Mantaloking. If you aren't supposed to be there, you aren't allowed there. The amount of destruction is hard to comprehend. So many oceanfront homes are gone. Others are deemed unlivable. I just wanted to share with anyone who cares to read and just shed some light on how serious it was down here and further south like Matt and Mike posted. Hope it makes you take a moment to appreciate all that you have and how it can be gone in an instant. The aftermath has definitely hit a spot in me.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #54
transmaro93

yea man besides few places in brick.. havent seen any of the actual oceanfront towns yet. But i feel the same about it... its like this eery feeling that the jersey shore just isnt there any more and many people are without homes and belongings and lost boats and such... my bro went on a party boat today fishing and seen the inlet and ocean from a different POV than most... said there was **** floating in ocean 30 miles out and inlet and surrounding areas just look like war zones
Old 11-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #55
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Yeah exactly. There are whole homes in the river! I don't know how this summer is going to be. I feel this is going to severely cripple the dwindling local economy. I hope we get through it.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #56
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
Yeah exactly. There are whole homes in the river! I don't know how this summer is going to be. I feel this is going to severely cripple the dwindling local economy. I hope we get through it.
Insurance companies will have to ****ing deal with paying out. God knows how much people pay them for this very reason, so as far as I see it only insurance companies will be hurting.

Otherwise, think of all the money now flowing to contractors, demo guys, clean up guys, police, fireman, utilities guys etc.. and then when people have rebuilt homes, they gotta get furniture, so that should give some influx to local businesses.

Marinas will be swamped with doing insurance boat repairs etc. Same with you guys at auto shops dealing with insurance claims on water damaged cars.

Just trying to look at positive side here. My uncle lost his whole first floor, and on one of his few hours away from running the mess, the VP of the FOP showed up and a bunch of FOP guys demo-d his first floor for him. A lot of awesome-ness has been shown lately.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #57
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Insurance companies will have to ****ing deal with paying out. God knows how much people pay them for this very reason, so as far as I see it only insurance companies will be hurting.

Otherwise, think of all the money now flowing to contractors, demo guys, clean up guys, police, fireman, utilities guys etc.. and then when people have rebuilt homes, they gotta get furniture, so that should give some influx to local businesses.

Marinas will be swamped with doing insurance boat repairs etc. Same with you guys at auto shops dealing with insurance claims on water damaged cars.

Just trying to look at positive side here. My uncle lost his whole first floor, and on one of his few hours away from running the mess, the VP of the FOP showed up and a bunch of FOP guys demo-d his first floor for him. A lot of awesome-ness has been shown lately.
Insurance companies will pay out, sure. But how long will that take, and will it be close to enough? I hope so.

As far as a jump start to construction, yea. That will be good all around. Those guys have been hurting for a long time; at least that's a little silver lining.

My parents got back from their place in Seaside Park just a little while ago. They are towards the center of the island, and while their crawlspace filled with water, it only wet 2" of the main girder and did not touch the floor joists or insulation... by 2"... huge bullet dodged.

They also had nothing but extremely positive things to say about the way the Seaside Park PD handled the entire situation. Very helpful, very professional, and very respectful of everyone who was touched by the storm.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #58
greenformula92

For all of us the jersey shore is a main stay in our lives year in and year out. A lot of us live here and spend a lot of our summer days here. Others visit. Bring their families and have great times. I have many many many fond memories on the shore. Both point pleasant and seaside. Those memories of what happened to me and what these places looked like will never fade. The shore will be rebuilt and we will enjoy these towns again. It will take time but, and I never thought I'd say this, we are all "jersey strong". Long live the shore and the JSFBOA!!

2018 Silverado 1500
Old 11-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #59
transmaro93

Quote:
i know man... i dont think there is anyone that can predict what next summer will be like... will beaches be back to being useable? will marinas be back to normal? will people that lost boats by new boats? will there be a larger boating community now that beaches are wiped out? i mean these are all questions that i have for next summer that IMO cant be answered untill we see how welll they do with the clean up... and then with that said what will tourism be like without all the attractions that were once there. Everyone likes to hate on bennies... but like you said the summer traffic brings alot of money to this area and revenue that helps keep the shores decent... just going to be a wait and see type of thing i guess. for me personaly im a little concerned about the water ways... like are the channels all messed up and im sure there is tons of **** on the bottom of the bay waiting to rip outdrives apart. (not really an important concern) but thats what im thinking about for next summer cause im not a beach person and dont have property on the shore.. boating is what we do in summer..
Old 11-11-2012, 10:07 PM   #60
Featherburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
Insurance companies will pay out, sure. But how long will that take, and will it be close to enough? I hope so.
From what I heard, flood insurance pays $250,000 max and FEMA pays $31,000 max! So, thats $281,000 total. I know that wouldn't cover a total loss on my inlaws house. I'm thinking there will be a lot of people not made whole.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:55 AM   #61
greenformula92

Depends on individual insurance policy's and how much you are insured for

2018 Silverado 1500
Old 11-12-2012, 06:59 AM   #62
Featherburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenformula92 View Post
Depends on individual insurance policy's and how much you are insured for
Sure, you could be insured for less but I don't think flood insurance covers any more.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #63
Mark B

Not to mention the 10% deductable that alot of flood insurance policys have. That 10% can be a BIG number.

01 GMC Sierra C3 6.0L, AWD, Westers Tune, K&N, Hella LED Tails
03 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, GMPP Handling Kit, LS1 F-Body Brakes
Mark B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #64
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

All great points and it makes me wonder if we will bounce back to where we were prestorm. Like Brandon said, only time will tell.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:44 AM   #65
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
All great points and it makes me wonder if we will bounce back to where we were prestorm. Like Brandon said, only time will tell.
IMO, based on everything I've seen and read, it will not ever be back to the way it was pre-storm. Especially because some of the business owners were looking to get a fresh start and a different demographic. Plus there will be some vacant lots that will take years to build back up.

But maybe in 2-3 years or so things will be flowing as normal. I really hope so.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #66
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Its definitely going to be shaky for some time...
Old 11-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #67
Mark B

Talk about pouring salt in an open wound. Not only did some of these people lose EVERYTHING, but now due to the possibility of reduced tourism, their livelihoods are in jeopardy.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:11 AM   #68
Mark B

Tuckerton Beach

Old 11-13-2012, 06:16 AM   #69
Mark B

Before the storm hit...

Last edited by Mark B; 11-13-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #70
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Went through Bay Head and into Mantaloking to delivery a truck to the PD. I used a friend's camera while driving and in low light so a good bit didn't come out well, my apologies.

Still more to upload but for now
Old 11-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #71
Lt1_8U

oh man, its so hard to look at. Our vacation home in manahawkin was destroyed. a small A frame, it was knocked off the pilings and gutted from water. I have a knot in my stomach from that. I cant imagine what people are going through losing homes that they live in! I hope everything works out for those people and anyone that had damage from the storm on here.
Lt1_8U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #72
maroman88
12 Second Club

newark mobile precinct!
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #73
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Yup, I've seen Michigan, Louisianna, and Mississippi State Police along with the National Guard. In the photo above the Newark Police Mobile Precinct, there are two small street sweepers from some police department but I couldn't catch the name. Its basically a construction zone down there and nearly unrecognizable in some areas. They were driving in those huge steel bulkheads (don't know proper name) down by the bridge where the inlet formed. Lyman Street was the other inlet where you see the large drop off in the highway and the access road to the side. The house at the end of the street was originally on the beach front corner IIRC and now sits in the bay. So many homes are gone or destroyed beyond repair. I can't imagine what sits in the bay now with how much water came through to do the damage it did. I know Ortley was hit hard like this as well, I can't imagine what it looks like. I can only hope the towns recover and people return.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #74
Anti_Rice_Guy
The Mayor / 2009 Member of the Year / Moderator

Social Networks:

There isn't as much stuff in the bay as you would believe, so most of it has been sucked out through the inlet(s) already. There are some things in the water, but even up by Mantoloking/Ortley there isn't that much stuff in the water at all.

I have the other angle of this image below from the water this past weekend, along with some others that I'll be posting up tonight or tomorrow.

P.S. pilings are the upright wood poles for the bulkhead.
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Is English your 2nd language? Did you graduate high school? Your posts make my head hurt.
Team FARM

Last edited by Anti_Rice_Guy; 11-13-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Anti_Rice_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #75
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Yeah but I'm talking about the metal they use for the bulkheads in the canal that goes down 50 or so feet. I would imagine lots of debris is under the water. We have a customer who owns Beaton Marina and they have had lots of stuff wash up to their bulkhead, they just push it back out. I can see most of the floating debris is gone though.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Multimedia