Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 01-08-2007, 02:30 PM   #26
Firebird67dude
14 Second Club

Kasey has a 97 maro and he took the front swaybar out. The front end seemed squirely and feathery and i was sitting shoty. I didnt like it.
Firebird67dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:52 PM   #27
Kid Racer
15 Second Club

yeah i dont think ima take the sway bar off but the a/c smog pump and the back seats and all i think ima take out put the battery in th back....
Kid Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:01 PM   #28
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

don't use the billion mile car that has been in more than one front end collision as teh example of how most cars react to not having the front sway bar on. lol

justin is right. it all depends on what YOU want to get out of the car and what you would like to live with. personally, i never use air conditioning, i have had it in several cars, just don't like it. so it comes out of any car i want to make fast. the same is true of so many other parts. as justin mentioned, it is about 50lbs you can lose.
removing the front sway bar will allow for more body roll when you turn and decrease the ability of the car to turn if you are running hard around town and trying to turn really hard. so if you are more interested in handling than straight line performance, leave it on. taking it off will take weight off the nose of the car, allow the front suspension to release better and transfer weight, and as long as you have good shocks you won't really notice much of a difference when doing normal around town adn highway driving. the front sway bar and associated hardware is somewhere around a 14lbs weight reduction
manual steering is a fine conversion as long as you understand that you won't be able to trun as fast. the car will still be capable of turning just as sharp, but you will have to move the steering wheel further with a manual steering box to get it done. converting from power to manual steering by installing a proper manual box will save you about 37lbs and take about .25hp of drag off the engine. lol
the smog equipment is an easy removal, you will fail a visual inspection in NJ without it if you care. if you remove everything properly you can drop about 17lbs.

as has been stated before. it is all about what your goals are and what you are willing to live with. personally, i don't need a whole lot of creature comforts in a car, i would rather be fast

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:04 PM   #29
Firebird67dude
14 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER View Post
don't use the billion mile car that has been in more than one front end collision as teh example of how most cars react to not having the front sway bar on. lol

hahaha, when my bracket for my front swaybar broke and I was driving it around till I got a new one I felt the differance. Again the front end felt like crap.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:13 PM   #30
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

i'm not saying you can't feel the difference, especially at the speeds you tend to drive. just saying that it is an easy thing to live with or without.

also, since some people i am talking to seem to be under the impression that doing the little things to a 15second car won't help, i would say that you do the mods you can afford or you have available to improve your car. if that means starting with the free and cheapest mods, that is what you have to do.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:33 PM   #31
Firebird67dude
14 Second Club

Quote:
i'm not saying you can't feel the difference, especially at the speeds you tend to drive. just saying that it is an easy thing to live with or without.
You just gave me an idea. I should make my car handle liek ass so then I wont want to go fast.

Last edited by Firebird67dude; 01-08-2007 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:59 PM   #32
98tadriver
10 Second Club; Has fan club

Quote:

The sway bar is a debated issue, but if you are looking for everything you can get out of the car, then get rid of it. It's 15-20 lbs off the nose of the car, and not having the endlinks connected will allow the suspension to droop easier.

- Justin
I agree with justin on this one, i took it off of my turd gen, and it didnt sway [I]that[I] bad at all, but I also had my 4th gen so the 3rd gen wasnt a daily driver.

Now here's what i say- Take the sway bar off, drive it around for a couple days and see how you like it. i noticed more lift from front on takeoff- Click here to see Video

2001 Corvette, Bolt ons , tuned 10.75@124.56 mph 1.38 60' Sold

1997 Saturn Sc1 5spd DOHC swapped
Bolt ons, decked head, stock intake cam on exhaust side, lotsa weight redux
13.22@102.32 mph 1.93 60'
12's on moda? One day

Last edited by 98tadriver; 01-08-2007 at 04:04 PM.
98tadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:59 PM   #33
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Racer View Post
i think ima take out put the battery in th back....
Please don't do that unless you really know what you're doing. Car fires suck.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:25 PM   #34
98tadriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Please don't do that unless you really know what you're doing. Car fires suck.

Have no fear! for i know what im doing!

12's on moda? One day
Old 01-08-2007, 08:46 PM   #35
Kid Racer
15 Second Club

yeah i told u guys ron always comes too help me man an di thank him for that..he has tought me a lot..
Kid Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:00 PM   #36
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

Quote:

justin is right. it all depends on what YOU want to get out of the car and what you would like to live with. personally, i never use air conditioning, i have had it in several cars, just don't like it. so it comes out of any car i want to make fast. the same is true of so many other parts. as justin mentioned, it is about 50lbs you can lose.
removing the front sway bar will allow for more body roll when you turn and decrease the ability of the car to turn if you are running hard around town and trying to turn really hard. so if you are more interested in handling than straight line performance, leave it on. taking it off will take weight off the nose of the car, allow the front suspension to release better and transfer weight, and as long as you have good shocks you won't really notice much of a difference when doing normal around town adn highway driving. the front sway bar and associated hardware is somewhere around a 14lbs weight reduction
manual steering is a fine conversion as long as you understand that you won't be able to trun as fast. the car will still be capable of turning just as sharp, but you will have to move the steering wheel further with a manual steering box to get it done. converting from power to manual steering by installing a proper manual box will save you about 37lbs and take about .25hp of drag off the engine. lol
the smog equipment is an easy removal, you will fail a visual inspection in NJ without it if you care. if you remove everything properly you can drop about 17lbs.

as has been stated before. it is all about what your goals are and what you are willing to live with. personally, i don't need a whole lot of creature comforts in a car, i would rather be fast

1 front end accident buddy, but aside from that I'm agreeing with it all here.

and yea there are stock takeoff shocks that are probably around teh end of their service life up there.

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.
Savage_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:32 PM   #37
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

removing the front sway bat is foolish to say the least. you'll regret it when someone cuts you off on the highway and you need to make some ridiculous maneuver to avoid an accident but instead create your own from a sloppy handling car.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:33 AM   #38
maroman88
12 Second Club

should be a VIN F motor if its a 305tpi or an 8 for 350tpi and the E motor chip wont work
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:02 PM   #39
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
removing the front sway bat is foolish to say the least. you'll regret it when someone cuts you off on the highway and you need to make some ridiculous maneuver to avoid an accident but instead create your own from a sloppy handling car.

i managed to avoid accidents the whole time my front sway was off, even when i had to make sudden manuvers on the slicks and skinnies. 99.9% of accident avoidence is jsut being aware and knowing how to drive.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:03 PM   #40
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
i managed to avoid accidents the whole time my front sway was off, even when i had to make sudden manuvers on the slicks and skinnies. 99.9% of accident avoidence is jsut being aware and knowing how to drive.
Does that apply here?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:26 PM   #41
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Does that apply here?
it really doesnt, therefore i don't think providing any more of a handicap for some people is a very wise idea.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 01:11 PM   #42
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

Quote:

**** even I'll admit the main thing that caused my accident was I wasn't paying attention. Learned off that one.

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.
Savage_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 05:56 PM   #43
Blacdout96

I say leave the sway on, its better to have control then to save a puny 14 lbs. Hell your better off buying an aluminum driveshaft off of ebay for about 100 bucks ( make sure its 3rd gen alumi, theyre diameter is amaller then 4th gen) youll shave some rotating mass. Also look for a crappy fiberglass hodd to put on when you go to the races, that way you can shave top end weight off, yet not worry about it spider crackign and stuff, and when your done, pop the other hood back on. Dont forget to loose the passenger seat too, theres a couple pounds too. and lastely, if you have the Iroc rims on there, see if the stock star rims on about 90% of what all 86-92 camaros had are lighter then the ones you have now and if theyre a smaller diameter as well. To be honest, i dont do much drag, but i noticed that rotation weight (I.E drive shaft, rims and tires, etc.) seems to be more of a problem then stagnet weight (I.E. seats, spares, up unto abou the first hundres pounds taken off) Whatever you do, dont take off suspension parts cause, well, theyre important lol.

Last edited by Blacdout96; 01-14-2007 at 05:57 PM.
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:57 PM   #44
WayFast84

leave the sway bar on, but in one build up from a 17 sec car to a 13 sec car they removed they un hooked not removed, the sway bar, and shaved .3 off the et
Old 01-15-2007, 11:48 PM   #45
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayFast84 View Post
leave the sway bar on, but in one build up from a 17 sec car to a 13 sec car they removed they un hooked not removed, the sway bar, and shaved .3 off the et
Yeah!

1991 Dodge Spirit R/T: Gran'pa lookin' 150+ mph turbo rocket.

2013 Dodge Avenger RT: Wastelands cruiser.

2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor: 'Nuff said!

THE ONLY THING THAT SUCKS WORSE THEN IMPORTS ARE RICED OUT IMPORTS!!!
unstable bob gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:48 AM   #46
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayFast84 View Post
There was also an episode of Horsepower TV where they gained 100hp going from a GM intake and Holley 850 to an Edelbrock intake and Edelbrock 850. Baseline for an LS6 big block was 202 wheel horsepower. That's 56% driveline loss... so there was a lot of de-tuning to get those results.

Don't believe everything you read or see.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:15 PM   #47
98tadriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
yeah, but we're talking about sway bars, not sway bats! lol

12's on moda? One day
Old 02-02-2007, 09:51 PM   #48
Slow Z
11 Second Club

old thread yes, but... I took off my front sway bar and the car immediately stopped squatting hard on launches and started pulling the driver's front wheel. It handled no different to me going down the road but then again I have skinny front tires and slicks in the back so I don't even think about cornering hard.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech