Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

Old 01-24-2005, 06:09 AM   #1
casketcrewchick

Social Networks:

That black strip in between t tops

Hey,
Mine is sorta fading a bluish color... like its going to turn blue. It is kept outside unfortunately. Think if i painted it silver like my car it would look retarded? I am probably just going to do black... but anyways any thoughts on silver?

Oh and my passenger side t top is leaking. Anyone use clear silicone? It worked for a while but looked like hell when i took the top off.... basically the right side top looks all messed up with foam weather stripping and silicone gunked on it. Might have to leave it to stop the damn leaking. LOL
Supercharged 2000 Corvette... 6 speed... went from stock to- ECS supercharger kit, MGW Shifter, American Racing Headers, Corsa Extreme, BC Forged HCA 161 wheels fixed headlights, Corbeau A4 seats, lots of LED and cosmetic upgrades. visit my instagram for more @leetwraps or @leet13

98 Firebird V6 A4 sold
casketcrewchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 07:52 AM   #2
HardcoreZ28

If your car is silver it might look ok. I've never seen anyone do it another color besides black. Your best bet for fixing your leak is sucking it up and replacing all of the t-top weatherstripping. Even then you might get the occasional leak when you wash the car, but I haven't had rain get into mine since then.

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:59 AM   #3
Untamed

I'll be doing the same thing to mine after I have it painted. Replacing weather stripping all over after a new paint job is always wise.

From what I've read, replacing the stripping isn't too difficult if you slow down and pay attention to what you are doing. Thirdgen.org has a few good stories about it. You can purchase kits from many different places, from focused kits like the t-tops, to the entire car for under $200. If you plan to paint it anyway, scrape all of it off just before you take it in to be painted. Just be sure to do that when its warm and dry.
I USED TO HAVE an 85 Camaro 305 4bbl, 90 Firebird V6, 97 Firebird V6 (10 speakers!). Despite the two family vehicles, 3 kids, wife and mortgage, I can finally realize the dream - 88 TA almost all stock... for now.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/untameddave

Wanted this - , but ended up with this - for free. Can't argue with free.
Untamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:04 AM   #4
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

If they are leaking and look like they need replacing; I would defenitly just go ahead and buy new weather stripping. Â*It honestly is not worth patching up multiple times when you can get it done with and 10x's better. Â*That I think happens alot with owners and they do a ghetto patch up job which screws up some of the secand hand owners that may purchase it down the road.

I bought my stripping from the local Pontiac dealer, big mistake. Â*Go to a 3rd gen specific website for it, its usually ALOT cheaper. Â*The job alone can only really take up to a whole day. Â*Just be patient and properly prep the area.

And personally I would paint the insert a nice clean flat black. Â*It looks clean, when you have "black" t-tops and black weather stripping why offset the color in the middle?
ar0ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:58 PM   #5
camaro2you

ya i would replace them i forget the name of the place i used for door weatherstrip but its guarented for 15 years
camaro2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 05:56 PM   #6
casketcrewchick

Social Networks:

Perhaps I will photoshop it. As far as the leaking top, I will probably just purchase some new weatherstripping... I mean all that money I had put into the car (exhaust times 2, system, stripes...), this wont really be a big expense. lol
Supercharged 2000 Corvette... 6 speed... went from stock to- ECS supercharger kit, MGW Shifter, American Racing Headers, Corsa Extreme, BC Forged HCA 161 wheels fixed headlights, Corbeau A4 seats, lots of LED and cosmetic upgrades. visit my instagram for more @leetwraps or @leet13

98 Firebird V6 A4 sold
casketcrewchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 05:57 PM   #7
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Not sure how the silver would look.....get a pic of it, and ask for a photoshop...we have a few here that are quite good at it.

As far as the weatherstriping goes, I would spend a few extra bucks to get new stuff if yours is leaking. The previous owner of my car was a smoker, and he burned up a lot of the driver side door weatherstripping, and repaired with either clear silicon or hot glue, I'm not sure which. Lucky for my it doesn't leak.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance