Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

Old 12-03-2004, 12:05 AM   #1
JerzLT1

RUST!

I was wondering if anyone knows any good body shops that can take care of rust and prevent it from coming back im in South Jersey
Old 12-03-2004, 12:17 AM   #2
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

BONDO!

With some time you could do it yourself, its really not that hard to do. Read up on it, and then just find a place to paint it. It may just save you that much money for labor alone.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:15 AM   #3
JerzLT1

panel bond will cover it but itll just come back because the moisture is still in there. ive actually thought about it but decided against it. i want something more permanent. i was thinking about goin to U Pull it and tryin to find some decent doors . btw are the Quarters on 3rd gens like a cut and weld job or can they be unbolted?
Old 12-03-2004, 09:29 AM   #4
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Formula
panel bond will cover it but itll just come back because the moisture is still in there. ive actually thought about it but decided against it. i want something more permanent. i was thinking about goin to U Pull it and tryin to find some decent doors . btw are the Quarters on 3rd gens like a cut and weld job or can they be unbolted?
The roof, sail panels, and quarters are all one piece, so it's pretty much a cut and weld kinda deal.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 04:21 PM   #5
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

there is another bondo type stuff that evil90ss was telling me about. it actually has some metal in it. basically you clean up the panel that is pitted/damaged and then fill in the imperfections and sand smooth. it is supposed to be better than using regular bondo.
i forget what teh stuff is called, perhaps evil90ss or squirrel can jump in adn answer that.

later
tim

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 04:43 PM   #6
V
Stalker

lead it, hehe. thats a skill i'm determined to learn.
but anyway,
If you do a cut and patch job, you need welding skills, You just need to make sure you remove all the rust. So cut out a good section around where its rusted and then you can butt weld in a new piece, afterwards you want to make sure you apply a type of undercoating or product such as POR-15 to the inside to keep rust from coming back, And gett he ouside primed and painted asap. If done right, Most likely by the time that section starts showing rust again, the rest or the car will already be rotted anyway.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 11:59 AM   #7
JerzLT1

anyone know of a good body shop with fair prices for this? id rather not do it myself because im not an experienced welder i was told rust repair only holds up for like 2 years if you dont seal up where the moisture is comin in
Old 12-04-2004, 02:17 PM   #8
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

rust repair can last forever if done perfectly. go to your local body shop and get their opinion on it first. most shops will be nice enough to take a quick glance at something and give you an idea of what is going on.

later
tim

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 04:11 PM   #9
90FormulaWS6

there is fiberglass filler sorta like bondo but fiberglass ****... i used it on my car for a bad spot and theres no ****ing way that **** is comming back
90FormulaWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 05:23 PM   #10
EVIL90SS

bondo, evercoat rage, fiberglass filler and all the other **** will work for a while but the rust will eventually start again and the filler will most likely fall off, nothin can really stop rust and **** the only way is replacement panels 1/4s, doors, fenders, etc. . patch panels suck. the problem with fillers and **** like that is they soak up water....hence more rust later on. sure it will look god for a while but who the hell wants bondo everywhere...spend the extra money and find a nice set of used doors or buy aftermarkets. as for 1/4s...thats cut and weld job, and it'll cost some cash. anyone want work done right,give my shop a call...771-0776, autobody by FM in ewing N.J

EVIL90SS is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance