Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 02-15-2006, 04:33 AM   #1
V
Stalker

Ford 351w questions..

Ok first off, im trying to figure out what to do about an oil dipstick. I have an 84 351w engine. A while back I bought a new chrome Oil pan for it. It is the rear sump style since it is going in a 4x4 truck. I later realized the original oil pan(used and abused) had the dipstick mounted in the side and the new pan has no provisions for one. However I also bought a new timing cover which has a hole for a front mount dipstick(and a plug if not used). I was wondering if i could use that and just buy and cut a new dipstick a little shorter so it will work without the front sump pan. But, Will the pan hold enough oil to register anything on the dipstick if its not down into the sump? im thinking it may not, so my other options are try to reuse the beat up old pan, buy a new pan for 100+ bucks, or try to make a hole in the side of the chrome pan to mount an aftermarket dipstick like a Lokar or such. any ideas?

second, i need to figure out my ignition system. The engine is carburated with no electronics of any kind. All the oem ford systems have been removed. I need to buy a distributor and I was looking at a Mallory HEI one. I like the HEI because it would make for a cleaner install and less wiring. I just want to make sure I got everything right: The HEI distributor should have 3 wires... Battery, Ignition, and Tach signal. and then id just hook those up and the vacuum line for the vacuum advance and thats it correct?(other then the spark plug wires)

The truck will be an off road/mud vehicle so I am trying to run the least amount of wiring/electronics in the engine compartment that I can. As of now its just the starter lead, electric choke/HEI ignition wire, headlight wiring, HEI BATT wire, wipers, and gauge wiring. Battery will be mounted in the rear cargo area.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:09 PM   #2
V
Stalker

no one has any knowledge? come on, these arent ford specific questions really. i am pretty sure i know what im gonna be doing but i'd like a second opinion.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:16 PM   #3
HardcoreZ28

The front dipstick in the timing cover may still register...someone more familiar with Ford's would probably know for sure. If not I say do a Lokar setup.

Your ignition system plan sounds about right to me. So does the minimalistic wiring effort.

Overall I think you're on the right track.

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech