Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
Frosty

..and the NFL saga continues

De-certification has been filed. A ‎9 billion dollar a year industry and all involved can't come to an agreement. I think the owners bent quite a bit. I'm on the player's side for some things but I think they're being unreasonable now. They're NOT partners in the NFL, they're EMPLOYEES...they have ZERO right to demand financial documents. What would your company say if you wanted to see their finances? lol **** the NFL, I hope the sport crumbles now.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
madness410

what is the full story
madness410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
madness410

boots?
madness410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness410 View Post
boots?
Soapbox.

F them. I don't care if they play or not. The rest of us have to deal with hardships, why can they get away with not having to bend?
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:14 PM   #6
BurninrubberGT

the nflpa said they were willing to extend talks, all the owners had to do was to release their past 10 years of audits
BurninrubberGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:19 PM   #7
Frosty

Why should they have to open the books to their employees? Isn't 5yrs enough?
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Old 03-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #8
LS1Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
They're NOT partners in the NFL, they're EMPLOYEES...they have ZERO right to demand financial documents. What would your company say if you wanted to see their finances? lol **** the NFL, I hope the sport crumbles now.
Yeah, but I think the players' argument is that they are not just employees, they are the product and need to be protected. The argument is that a players career lasts four years on average, while an owners lasts indefinitely. But I'm not siding with either of them. Both sides are greedy. The players know the profession they chose and the physical risks involved. They all make more money now than any of us will in our lifetimes. The owners have pretty much made it that unless you are filthy rich or a corporation, you can't go see a game. The whole idea of having to pay for the right to buy a seat at a game should be illegal. That's like if I opened a store and said you can shop here, but before you walk in the door you have to first pay me to give you the right to buy anything.

Last edited by LS1Hawk; 03-12-2011 at 08:34 AM.
LS1Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:41 AM   #9
maroman88
12 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1Hawk View Post
Yeah, but I think the players' argument is that they are not just employees, they are the product and need to be protected. The argument is that a players career lasts four years on average, while an owners lasts indefinitely. But I'm not siding with either of them. Both sides are greedy. The players know the profession they chose and the physical risks involved. They all make more money now than any of us will in our lifetimes. The owners have pretty much made it that unless you are filthy rich or a corporation, you can't go see a game. The whole idea of having to pay for the right to buy a seat at a game should be illegal. That's like if I opened a store and said you can shop here, but before you walk in the door you have to first pay me to give you the right to buy anything.
u mean like shopping at Costco or BJ's?
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #10
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroman88 View Post
Thats a bingo!
Old 03-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #11
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

The NFL is making BILLIONS of dollars selling a unique and specialized product. The players know this and are fighting to get as big a slice of that pie as possible. The owners are fighting to retain as much of that pie as possible. The numbers are sickening to an average working guy. It is not a case where there isn't enough money and one side is asking the other to give up something to remain liguid/solvent/profitable. There are obscene amounts of money being made and they just aren't sure how to share it.

Both sides need each other. History has taught us that without premier level talent, the NFL is nothing more than a sideshow (scab games in 1983) and even premier level talent needs the structure, history, brand recognition and marketing power of the NFL (arena league?, nfl europe?, canadian football?, usfl?). The NFL has taken full advantage of that by selling lucrative TV deals, marketing deals, licensing deals etc. based on having premier level talent. The players (premier level talent) see all this cash and are now looking to do the same thing, they are wanting to sell their premier level talent at the highest price the market will bear. If the market will bear it, good for the players. Or the players can go start their league? Or the owners can go populate their rosters with new players? Neither of those have worked in the past, nor would they work now.

We'll see how strong that union is when players start missing paychecks in September. I would love to see them strike, lose the entire season and then we can watch them figure out how to share the humble pie. Now that would fun. Mock fantasy drafts could be based on which players go bankrupt first or maybe which owners can't keep up with stadium payments? Then they'll all realize how they killed the golden goose.

1999 Formula 6spd (The driver)
1997 2500 Ext. Cab Dodge 4x4 CTD 5spd (The Earth Mover)
1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
1QWIKBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #12
Untamed

I bet come next Fall, the NBA and NHL would love to see an NFL strike.
I USED TO HAVE an 85 Camaro 305 4bbl, 90 Firebird V6, 97 Firebird V6 (10 speakers!). Despite the two family vehicles, 3 kids, wife and mortgage, I can finally realize the dream - 88 TA almost all stock... for now.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/untameddave

Wanted this - , but ended up with this - for free. Can't argue with free.
Untamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:52 AM   #13
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroman88 View Post
Yeah, but that's a membership. You don't pay every time you walk in the door.

I liken it more to Ticketmaster's facility fees and other superflous charges.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #14
greenformula92

don't these people make enough money. its a little damn rediculous....just shut up, get your 10 million a year and play the game

2018 Silverado 1500
greenformula92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #15
Frosty

Well according to Adrian Peterson they're slaves. Yeah, slaves that make more $$$ in one year than I make in 10 lol.

If he wants to see how slavery was then lets bring it back to the 1700's....just saying.....

I really hope there isn't a season.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge