Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-22-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

Talking Woot! Mower started on the first pull!

My brother cut the back yard a week and half ago with the manual reel mower but it needed another cut and with the snow/sleet/rain on the way through the weekend I figured I better get out the mower. I filled it with gas, primed it and it fired up on the first pull. I'm bummed that the back yard took a wicked hit during the winter with snow mold damaging half the yard. I had reseeded in the fall since it all died off pretty bad over the summer. With all the rain we had in the fall, it grew like crazy and I was mowing right up until it froze solid the weekend before Christmas. But the new grass has such a high moisture content the snow mold can take hold if the snowcover lasts as long as it did. I hope it comes back, but the portion that didn't get the mold is growing like crazy right now. I'll be mowing from now until it all dies off in July like normal. Hey, at least I didn't put the boat in the water yet and have to worry about shoveling snow out of the boat!
Old 03-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

What the hell? My neighbor mowed my front lawn like the last week in September or soemthing like that and it hasnt grown since. Why is your lawn growing so much?
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
WiMiMc

probably fertilizer blowing over from the golf course.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
What the hell? My neighbor mowed my front lawn like the last week in September or soemthing like that and it hasnt grown since. Why is your lawn growing so much?
I was going to mow my lawn this weekend. If it gets any longer I'm going to have to cut it with a machete.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
PolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
I was going to mow my lawn this weekend. If it gets any longer I'm going to have to cut it with a machete.
Wow, I guess I am really really lucky I picked the place I did to buy, lol. I only mowed my lawn about a dozen times last year and it wasnt even that long when I did a few of the times. The dog keeps the back yard manageable with all the paths she has worn in all over the place, makes it a lot easier to do the back yard. Also the water table is kind of high here, maybe that is what makes the difference? My sump pump has been running for about 2 weeks now

I hate mowing and general yard work, got to get to the front yard this year though or the neighbors will probably start complaining, lol. Bushes are all getting overgrown and I never raked leaves
Old 03-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
JL8Jeff

My back yard dies off almost every summer and I reseed or fertilize in the fall and it bounces back. I need to rip out more bushes this year since they've been dieing off. I keep up with the raking in the fall so the pile is ready whenever the township happens to come around to pick up the leaves.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
I hate mowing and general yard work, got to get to the front yard this year though or the neighbors will probably start complaining, lol. Bushes are all getting overgrown and I never raked leaves
You need to rip out whatever grass is there and cover with astroturf....always green, no mowing

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
You need to rip out whatever grass is there and cover with astroturf....always green, no mowing

- Justin
Pave it with green tinted concrete.

As for mowing, I usually have to do it 3 times every 2 weeks or so. Last year was pretty dry so I did not have to do it nearly that often. I'm trying to stay more on top of fertilizing this year, too. All of my new seed took (!) so I don't want to wreck it right away.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
donnj

In the northeast we have cool season grasses so the grass goes through tremendous stress during the 4 seasons. Do a core aeration in the early fall with a aerator that extracts plugs, second week of Sept. is perfect. Apply as much lime as you can get your hands on, pelletized is better, a starter fertilizer with a low nitro count is needed at this time. Get yourself to a Lesco/John Deere location and spend the extra money on "Metro" seed. Apply the lime, seed, and fert after aeration, water daily and DO NOT let the soil dry out at all especially once the seed has germinated or it will die. Keep weeds in the the turf areas to minimum during the spring and summer. When mixing your weed potion to spray on the lawn be sure to use a SELECTIVE herbicide and add Dawn dish soap to the mix, never spray in direct sun "high noon" or over 85 deg. Many weeds have a oil coating on the leaf and if the herbicide isnt entered into the leaf and stem it will not kill the weed, the soap acts as a great surfactant. Good luck

Apply your pre-emergents when the Forsythia are in bloom, this week or next depending on soil temperatures, its easier to grow seed than control weeds. The weeds is ALWAYS the dominant species in the turf, less weeds = more grass, always keep blades sharp and never mow short!!!!!!! Always water in the morning, very very important for less disease and fungus

Last edited by donnj; 03-23-2011 at 04:15 PM.
donnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #10
PolarBear

grass IS a weed, a preferred weed though
Old 03-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #11
JL8Jeff

Quote:
grass IS a weed, a preferred weed though
So you can't even grow weeds correctly?

I have some weeds starting to grow in where the snow mold patches are so at least it's looking more green.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:42 AM   #12
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post

- Justin
do they make carbon fiber astroturf?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #13
PolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
do they make carbon fiber astroturf?

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge