Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 08-28-2005, 01:56 PM   #1
casketcrewchick

Social Networks:

SES light question

I have an 02 simulator after my cat and I noticed that when i start my car the ses light flashes on ONCE real fast and goes out. I thought it was supposed to stay on for a few seconds but never really payed attention.

Someone said it could harm my cat (is that true)! I guess i wont be able to pass inspection at a local garage???

I have til the end of sept to get that fixed and inspected.

The car performs normally as far as i can tell and i never did anything about it since i had the exhaust and cat on which has been well over a year.
Supercharged 2000 Corvette... 6 speed... went from stock to- ECS supercharger kit, MGW Shifter, American Racing Headers, Corsa Extreme, BC Forged HCA 161 wheels fixed headlights, Corbeau A4 seats, lots of LED and cosmetic upgrades. visit my instagram for more @leetwraps or @leet13

98 Firebird V6 A4 sold
casketcrewchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 02:18 PM   #2
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

you have an o2 sim after your cat? if you have a cat, why do you need an o2 sim?
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:27 AM   #3
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

a lot of highflows... mainly catco... can trigger the SES light. I dont see how a sim can hamr your cat, and also since you hav ea 98 all they do is plug in to the OBD2 post, make sure there are no codes/no ses, and thats your emissions test.

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.
Savage_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 04:52 PM   #4
casketcrewchick

Social Networks:

Ok so If i can get it scanned to see if its throwing a code (only cause the SES light looks like it should stay on longer than it does) and it turns out there are no codes then it will pass?

I dont have an o2 sensor bung in my s pipe so that is why I have an 02 sim.

If I get or use a programmer for my car, can I take care of the code if there is one?
Supercharged 2000 Corvette... 6 speed... went from stock to- ECS supercharger kit, MGW Shifter, American Racing Headers, Corsa Extreme, BC Forged HCA 161 wheels fixed headlights, Corbeau A4 seats, lots of LED and cosmetic upgrades. visit my instagram for more @leetwraps or @leet13

98 Firebird V6 A4 sold
casketcrewchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 05:48 PM   #5
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

could go either way...its not just codes...there are also readiness tests the computer has to go through for you to pass.
foff667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 03:51 PM   #6
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

yea, how does that whole readiness test thing work?

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.
Savage_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 11:45 AM   #7
89 Trans Am WS6

Just having no codes wont pass a nJ state inspection..

Like said above you have to pass all of the readiness tests..

Easy way to tell would be have someone with a scanner hook up to the car..im not sure about all makes of scanners but i know OTC scanners check for redniess status before it even displays the codes...so that would be one way to check if the car is good to go..

A better way would be find someone that does NJ state inspections in their shop..

The state inspection machine can be hooked up to a car and just scan the computer to check if it passes the readiness tests without actually doing the inspection...so if you know someone that can do that for you, thats your best option..

Oh and if you do have someone hook up a scanner and there are no codes but for some reason they decide to hit the "clear codes" option..just "to be safe" (dont laugh ive heard it before) thats gonna make it worse because it will reset the computer and you wont pass any of the rediness tests..
'14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude (Wifey's Ride)
'89 Trans Am WS6 (Gone but not forgotten-SOLD)
'85 Camaro 6 Banger base model, never left the driveway, 1st car (SOLD)
Http://www.cardomain.com/id/red93ta
http://www.fquick.com/freebird
89 Trans Am WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 04:11 PM   #8
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 Trans Am WS6
Just having no codes wont pass a nJ state inspection..

Like said above you have to pass all of the readiness tests..

Easy way to tell would be have someone with a scanner hook up to the car..im not sure about all makes of scanners but i know OTC scanners check for redniess status before it even displays the codes...so that would be one way to check if the car is good to go..

A better way would be find someone that does NJ state inspections in their shop..

The state inspection machine can be hooked up to a car and just scan the computer to check if it passes the readiness tests without actually doing the inspection...so if you know someone that can do that for you, thats your best option..

Oh and if you do have someone hook up a scanner and there are no codes but for some reason they decide to hit the "clear codes" option..just "to be safe" (dont laugh ive heard it before) thats gonna make it worse because it will reset the computer and you wont pass any of the rediness tests..
yup, some of the readiness tests take like 100 miles of driving before it will pass.
foff667 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring