Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Restorations, Fabrication, Tool and Shop Tech

Notices

Old 04-15-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
V
Stalker

Fire sprinklers in garage?

I randomly thought of this tonight and I'm not sure if I'm just being crazy, or pro-active....

Is it possible/feasible to install a BASIC type sprinkler system in a home garage?

Since this is not required by law, I am NOT concerned with "code". This is just to delay any possible fire/incident. This would be a custom setup with 4 heat activated pendant heads(separately activated @155'F or 175'F), run off a standard hose spigot. The pipes would all be run exposed, so 1" or 3/4" galvanized steel, and since freezing IN the garage isnt an issue, it would be a wet pipe system. There would be a valve at the spigot to pressurize the system and two valves at the end of the system(after last 2 heads) to fill/drain it. Garage is approx. 15'w x 25'l x 9'h. All said and done, it would cost around $200. Before I'd go all out, I'd buy one sprinkler head ($6.00) and attach it to a short pipe run off the spigot and set it off to see if I even have enough pressure to run one head effectively.

so... am I just nuts?

Here is a quick diagram of what i was thinking....

Last edited by V; 04-15-2012 at 01:04 AM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:36 AM   #2
S.J.SLEEPER

if you have well water, you may need to crank the pump pressure up if it is low. if your city water pressure is low, you may need to install a inline pump. I am not sure of what psi is required for the heads to pop out.
1" non galv pipe is fine, save your money and just spray paint it. galv pipe is for outside use due to being in the weather and rusting.
Setup looks great, and awesome idea...now you got me thinkin about doing it in my place.

I know in commercial buildings, they use a seperate line in from the tap in the street. They do this so it has dedicated source and there isnt anything else running on it like toilets or sinks...etc.. So that tells me if you are running city water (should be 35psi or higher) you should be fine.
South Jersey Racecraft
S.J.SLEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

What is the k factor of the heads? 5.6? 8?

A booster pump and tank are probably necessary if you have a well. You want fast response 5.6k 135* heads imo.

No set Psi is needed for the heads to pop. They should have a bellville spring for that.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
V
Stalker

people have wells in nj still? it is the year 2012 right? lol

and 155' heads seem to be to norm i found online.

i haven't picked out specific heads so i don't have any specs.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

You can also use fire rated cpvc if you want.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
evilz99

Yeah I was gonna suggest the fire rated pvc too and yes us hicks in the sticks got us some ol wells. and our water tastes better lol! just think city water at some point came from someones toilet before it came out of your faucet so you r drinking cleaned poopy water lol j/k couple beers before this post
99 Z28 A4, Mufflex 4" catback, SLP lid and ram air, bbk 80mm tb, GMS MAS, Ls6 Intake, poly mm's, pacesetter lts and ORY, REVMAX 3600 Stall, Founders PH Bar and LCA's with relocation brackets, qa1 front coilovers with 300lb springs, heater hose mod, umi tunnel mount torque arm with ds loop. ACE Racing 4l60e, 3.42s.
evilz99 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Restorations, Fabrication, Tool and Shop Tech