Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 05-31-2009, 09:05 AM   #1
JerzyIroc

1st Gen gas tank question

Ok i was working on my boss's 69 camaro vert. It's a RS with a 350. He's had it for a long time but never drove it. Runs great on the rebuilt motor but we filled it up for the first time yesterday and noticed a problem. It was leaking fuel from the tank. Upon inspection we noticed (as you can see in the pic) there's two lines coming from the gas tank. The lower one is the feed for the fuel pump. The upper one, however, is leaking and we dont know where it goes. Theres no lines anywhere at all. There was a small torn piece of rubber hose on it but again we dont see any other line where it could go. We think it may possibly be a vent but again, no other lines anywhere. We also noticed that until you drive it it doesnt leak, but as the pressue in the tank builds thats when it start leaking. It actually leaked like crazy after driving for about 10 minutes and we shut it down. We even tried capping it but as soon as you remove the cap it leaks like crazy again. Any ideas?

2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE V6 (currently for sale PM me for details)

JerzyIroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

The 69 cars with the quadrajet carb had a return line to the tank. If there aren't 2 lines going to the engine compartment then the car was not a 4bbl car and somebody either put in the wrong tank or the wrong fuel tank pickup. You can drop the tank and swap out the pickup for the single line one, that's probably the safest thing to do. Can you tell if the tank has ever been swapped out?
Old 06-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
JerzyIroc

I dont think the tank was ever swapped out. I know the motor was rebuilt and the tank doesnt look like it was ever changed. My guess is when the motor was rebuilt they changed the carb and did a returnless setup. Capping the line wouldnt be a good idea right? Best and safest option im guessing is to just swap the pickup if capping it isnt a good idea?

Old 06-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
BonzoHansen
Admin.

best idea is in fact replace the sender. Unless the return line is just not hooked up in the back, of course. The return line likely runs from the fuel pump, not the carb. it does on my 77.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
JerzyIroc

oo. Well i looked at it again when i got out of work. There's only a line going to the fuel pump, and to the carb. I dont see any lines other than the feed line under the car too. So changing the sender def seems like the thing to do, but would just capping it for now so at least he can drive it to his house cause any problems?

Old 06-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
BonzoHansen
Admin.

As long as it is very tight I suppose not. Clamp a hose on, put a bolt in it that is snug to tight, clamp that too.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
JerzyIroc

Ya thats what i was thinking about doing. Thanks for the help man.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning