Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 01-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
Blacdout96

Check your battery cables peoples!!!

I seen a few members on here, most recently my local NJFBOA member BullittSVT having electrical problems that may of sounded like it was accosiated with the alternator. I've had a gremlin with my system in the winter time for the past 5 years now, and it never got any better when I attempted to resolve it. Basically when it's cold out, the lights would flicker inside, and with the key to the on position, you would have to wait until the dinging in the car was normal. This could take up to 10 minutes to work!!! ( which was a pain in the ass if you were trying to get to work) Also at idle the lights would flicker, and the charging wasent the best, and it ran a little rough when idling.

I tried using a new ground lug near the red terminal box on the fender since the post it sits on was loose, I replaced the battery, which help preventing it in the summer time, and I cleaned the bolt head goign into the battery, and in the end, when winter time came, still no better. This winter has been especially wierd since I havent used the car this far in years ( for road salt reasons I usually retire it and begin the winter project). Yesterday was the last straw though. I went to go to work, the battery was completely dead, and I had to jump it with my wifes car. I couldn't understand it, I didn't even have the factory security system armed on it the night before ( when armed, it seemed to amplify this problem, and draw more amperage then necessary) I went to work, and then several hours later when I went to go out lunch, same problem, would just not get enough juice to properly allow it to turn over. I had a brand spanking new alternator in stock, and I ordered new cables in. Before I dove in to a 100 alternator, I first wanted to replace the cables since they MAY be a problem. Turns out the WERE the problem.

I went outside real quick to swap the red plastic cover on theold cable wire with the new ones since it only came with black. When I removed the sleeve, it was nothing but a neon green under there, and weathered stud. I hit them with a breass brush, and installed new studs for the time being until I put all new cables on, I hopped in, and she lite right up! So I started it, and she turned over no problem, and idled alot better. Mind you this was only done to the red cable. I'm sure the ground will be the same way. this car ,though rarly was driven in the salt before I decided to no longer do that, was driven by my aunt every day for 8 years, and I'm sure that was the first time they were properly cleaned from the inside and out. Just because you hit the face of the cable and lug, doesnt mean it's in the best of shape.

So guys, go down to your local parts store, buy new lug studs, and take off the plastic cover, hit it with a brass brush, and reinstall. Wheither you're having this problem or not, it's a good measure to just do it, the plastic covers are holding moisture, road salt, and other chemicals, turning the copper into crap. You can get the cover off without having to cut it by popping the lug stud off. Also I recommend a very thin film of di-electric grease to prevent premature corrosion as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
jam01

you could also go to a lower gauge wire, the factory wires look thin.
jam01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
Blacdout96

Yes that too, I think I will be doing a write up w/ photos on replacing the cables, and hopefully the mods will make it a sticky.

Quote:

Last edited by Blacdout96; 01-06-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #4
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I recently saw this one. Yummy

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #5
NastyEllEssWon

i thought this was common sense?
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #6
Blacdout96

It's a basic upkeep on a vehicle, but the plastic boots on our cables prevent us from seeing the areas that oxidize and prevent a good contact. I cleaned the face and bolt that touched the battery once a year, but the other side of the cable where the bolt meets, that is where the problem originated, that is where I didn't clean.

Quote:

Last edited by Blacdout96; 01-10-2012 at 12:12 AM.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring