Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 12-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
Firebird67dude
14 Second Club

69 Firebird...

Ok guys its been awhile but I'm getting ready to do the engine swap on the 69. Long story short I needed a new distributor so I ordered one from petronix since I have the pontiac 350 in the car. Put it in, ran for a minute or so and then the distributor took off like a bottle rocket. The gear on the bottom of the shaft is SOMEWHERE in the motor. I have no clue what else probably went wrong but that is that. I am also unsure whether or not the car is #s matching or not. They guy i bought it from said its the orig motor, trans and rear. But I am unsure. My plan is to do this swap so i can have a lil fun and give the srt a break and in the meantime I can do my research on the motor that seems to have issuses.

The new: Im putting together what is basicly a zz4 sbc for the car. I'm getting my parts list together and figured I'd post so if I'm forgetting anything ya'll will chime in and help me out. The list is:

Motor mounts
distributor/box
Plugs,
ignition wires,
long tubes/exhuast,bolts washers whole 9
trans bracket togofrom sbc to pontiac th350
electric water pump
electric fan
starter

I'm hoping the assesories on it now will work mounting wise being the pontiac motor is set up diff from sbc. Yes I know the starter and oil filter are opposte from pontiac to chevy, hence the trans bracket.
Firebird67dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
Firebird67dude
14 Second Club

Oh if it ends up not being orig motor then the sbc is getting a blower and im converting the car to a 6 spd which i have been saving for a rainy day.
Firebird67dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird67dude View Post
Ok guys its been awhile but I'm getting ready to do the engine swap on the 69. Long story short I needed a new distributor so I ordered one from petronix since I have the pontiac 350 in the car. Put it in, ran for a minute or so and then the distributor took off like a bottle rocket. The gear on the bottom of the shaft is SOMEWHERE in the motor. I have no clue what else probably went wrong but that is that. I am also unsure whether or not the car is #s matching or not. They guy i bought it from said its the orig motor, trans and rear. But I am unsure. My plan is to do this swap so i can have a lil fun and give the srt a break and in the meantime I can do my research on the motor that seems to have issuses.

The new: Im putting together what is basicly a zz4 sbc for the car. I'm getting my parts list together and figured I'd post so if I'm forgetting anything ya'll will chime in and help me out. The list is:

Motor mounts
distributor/box
Plugs,
ignition wires,
long tubes/exhuast,bolts washers whole 9
trans bracket togofrom sbc to pontiac th350
electric water pump
electric fan
starter

I'm hoping the assesories on it now will work mounting wise being the pontiac motor is set up diff from sbc. Yes I know the starter and oil filter are opposte from pontiac to chevy, hence the trans bracket.
Check and see if you have to move the frame stands on the subframe. I am inclined to say you will. If you are hooking up an HEI or non-points distributor make sure you take out the resistance wire.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning