Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 01-07-2018, 05:13 PM   #1
V
Stalker

Battery issue

Just trying to confirm what I think the issue is.

Car is a 2012 Honda CR-V, bought January 2012(6 years old), currently has around 48k miles. Original battery.

Car runs and drives fine normally. Starts up every morning fine. Drives anywhere and can sit any amount of time and will restart. No issues there. But if the engine is turned off and the ignition is turned back on w/engine still off, the battery will drain fast enough that within 1-2 minutes, the car will not restart and the starter will just click. At that point, the car needs to be jumped and then it'll start right away. It can then be shut off basically right away again, sit overnight, and will restart fine the next day. It seems the radio/ignition on is drawing so much or putting such a load on the battery that its draining at a accelerated rate. Happened 3-4 times so far, and its like once every 8 months or so when my wife leaves the ignition on somewhere. So not just a recent thing. So basically I'm thinking the battery is toast. I just would have expected other signs of a failing battery by now. Perhaps the factory battery is just junk to begin with.
I'm looking at an Interstate Mega-tron series replacement battery which is the same cost as the "duralast"(autozone) or "autocraft"(advance auto) brand batteries. I just want to be sure I shouldn't be chasing some other possible issue here.

Last edited by V; 01-07-2018 at 05:15 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:18 PM   #2
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

How much reserve does the battery have? Its probably due for replacement at its age and maybe a cell is bad which is causing it to drain so quick, but I'd just ensure its not a barely enough battery stock that is the issue. My thoughts at least....
Old 01-07-2018, 07:27 PM   #3
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Our pilot is on its 2nd replacement battery. First 2 each lasted about 6 1/2 years, within like 2 months of each other. Radiators too.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:18 AM   #4
3.4 grape of wrath

Cold weather will amplify a weak battery problem. Sounds like you got your moneys worth out of that battery. Also a good time to check your alternator voltage output.
8.021 @ 86.38 1/8 MILE
BEST 60' 1.781

Last edited by 3.4 grape of wrath; 01-22-2018 at 04:02 AM.
3.4 grape of wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #5
V
Stalker

Last week, the car wouldn't start first thing in the morning. Up until then it was fine as long as you didn't leave the ignition on without the engine running. But during the day it was fine, starting up twice with no issues. So it got a new battery that night anyway. I got an interstate battery($109.00) which was actually considerably cheaper than one from autozone or advance auto. So far , so good. I do admit 6 years out of the old battery was good. When i removed the old battery, it was a "100 month" Honda battery, with a limited warranty. After 2 years, you get a pro-rated discount off a new battery. I think 72 months was like 30% off. But you had to have a Honda dealer install it. So wouldn't have been any reasonable savings anyway.

Last edited by V; 01-21-2018 at 01:02 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:35 PM   #6
6spdg37s

ac delco and deka batteries are the best imo. we use them at our shops. regardless pretty much anything is better than a 6 yo battery (except a AAA battery)
6spdg37s is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring