Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Racer's Lounge

Notices

Old 01-21-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

M/T splits from NHRA

Mickey Thompson Tires and Wheels will no longer be a supporting sponsor of the NHRA.

I just saw this posted n another site and I haven't found the press release that states this yet. So far I have found a lot of really really pissed off racers who use their products because of potential contingency money. Now these racers are left scrambling to see if there are comparable sponsors for NHRA divisional and national events.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
Jersey_TA
10 Second Club

Holy crap!!!!
2000 T/A WS6 - 11.190 @ 119.79...SOLD
Jersey_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
Knipps

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/News...with-NHRA.aspx

Mickey Thompson suspends relationship with NHRA

Mickey Thompson Performance Tires & Wheels will not participate as a major sponsor of the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) in 2009.

Ken Warner, vice president sales and marketing for Mickey Thompson says, “The tough decision to suspend our relationship with NHRA after more than 26 years is due to several concerns including a recent mandate by the NHRA that Pro Stock racers will be required to compete exclusively on Goodyear tires.

“The decision to compete solely on one manufacturer's tires may ultimately diminish the level of competition in the Pro Stock series. The spirit of open competition drives this sport and by limiting the racers' choice of tires, that spirit is severely diminished. We hope the sanctioning body revisits this ruling and opens up the competition to manufacturers like Mickey Thompson who are willing to put years of technology and experience into making tires that help win races."

Carl Robinson, motorsports manager, adds, “Eliminating the NHRA from our schedule will allow us to focus our attention and resources on faster growing segments of the drag racing community. The NHRA’s current vision as demonstrated by several of their recent decisions is just not in alignment with ours at this time. If things change we will revisit the opportunity.

“We are not going to abandon all of our loyal customers and Team M/T Members as a result of this decision, but we must do what is best for the Mickey Thompson brand. In the current economic climate we must partner with sanctioning bodies that embrace our participation and respect our investment in the sport. Mickey Thompson will continue its ‘Big Tire Development Program’ as it has already yielded a tremendous amount of technology that we have already applied to our current product offering.”

Mickey Thompson Performance Tires & Wheels are used in the NHRA Pro Stock Motorcycle class and in all Sportsman classes, including Stock Eliminator, Super Stock, Competition Eliminator, Super Comp, Super Gas & Super Street classes. Mickey Thompson Motorsports will continue to support these NHRA racers through their “Team M/T” program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
dumbass.
Knipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
Jersey_TA
10 Second Club

What is NHRA thinking?
2000 T/A WS6 - 11.190 @ 119.79...SOLD
Jersey_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
79CamaroDiva
Queen of Destruction / NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor / Moderator / 12 Second Club / 2006 Member of the Year / PITA

probably got a really good payment from goodyear to make them the sole tire in professional drag racing. unfortunately, i don't have any insider news related to this at all.

i use hoosiers,
Old 01-21-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
racerz

I use Hoosiers myself, hook good and usually $40 cheaper than Goodyear anyway.
racerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #7
KirkEvil
10 Second Club

Sounds like some corruption in NHRA to mandate a brand of tires. The racers should be mad at NHRA, not M/T
KirkEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:59 AM   #8
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Few ways to look at it, as long as Goodyears is giving the same contingency money then it might just help level the playing field. With the class being so close teams could need to switch (buy) tires from the other brand if they are working bettier on a certain track? Not a big deal for the teams with the budget, but those with less could stay with what they got.

Speaking of Prostock, do you read WJ is most likely not competing this year since GM isn't renewing his sponorship? KJ is only a maybe right now. Johnson's might just park the cars and lease engines. There was some chatter of Ford getting back in PS, looks like it's going to happen now either?
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:52 PM   #9
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
probably got a really good payment from goodyear to make them the sole tire in professional drag racing. unfortunately, i don't have any insider news related to this at all.

i use hoosiers,
Sure, they did it in nascar years ago.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Racer's Lounge