Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

Old 10-01-2015, 09:15 PM   #1
notsonic

Rearended, any shop and parts suggestions?

So I got rearended in mid August just one week after finally get a new engine installed. It's a 1995 3.4l Camaro.

I know that it's most likely not worth the cost to repair but that's neither here nor there, I want to get it fixed.

There are a few problems.

The biggest problem is the rear body panel, it seems to be called the tail light panel (NOT the part that says Camaro, but the metal body panel underneath that) is completely discontinued and not being produced.

The second issue is that there might be some damage to the end of the frame rail. The rear seems straight, no damage to the quarters, and the hatch more or less lines up. I've been driving it and it's fine. (Although there is some vibration now but I believe that is from the engine swap and not the accident as it was somewhat present before the accident. I'm thinking it's the trans mount or universals.)

The third issue is there is some light rust around the rails (body shop didn't want to put it on a frame rack) and general rusting around the rear panel.

I realize this post will be more helpful with pictures. Once this rain lets up I'm going to pull the bumper and take some.

Also for what it's worth I have a complete good condition donor car to use if it's reasonable to cut these panels out;

Anyone have any suggestions for where to get it fixed or where to find the rear panel? I've been to three shops. One said no, one said cut and weld for $3000, one said hammer it out for $700. Just looking for more input/options.

Last edited by notsonic; 10-01-2015 at 09:15 PM.
notsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:46 PM   #2
V
Stalker

rear panel isnt good on donor car?
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:59 PM   #3
notsonic

The donor car's panel is good, I just didn't know if it was a reasonable option.
notsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:49 PM   #4
V
Stalker

thats the only way to get the panel. the best bet is to cut large and let a body shop trim it down to what they need/want. seams can be opened up by drilling out spot welds but most times the shop will want to do it themselves. You could let them know you have a car to cut it from.

Last edited by V; 10-01-2015 at 10:49 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:28 AM   #5
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

How attached are you to this car? Lots of cheapppp fbodies on craigslist. Pretty easy to swap some mods over to a new platform in my opinion.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:13 AM   #6
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
thats the only way to get the panel. the best bet is to cut large and let a body shop trim it down to what they need/want. seams can be opened up by drilling out spot welds but most times the shop will want to do it themselves. You could let them know you have a car to cut it from.
^ This.

I believe it's held on by a few spot welds & a lot of seam sealer

Pop the rear bumper cover, impact bar and everything off & assess from there.
Hatch fitment may be an issue if not done right. Since you're only a couple months into this ordeal, now would be a good time to cut losses on this car & find another one.

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:39 PM   #7
NastyEllEssWon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
How attached are you to this car? Lots of cheapppp fbodies on craigslist. Pretty easy to swap some mods over to a new platform in my opinion.

Im with Adam here...you might be able to not only find a nice replacement for cheaper than the work done or might even find a nicer one. six cylinder camaros are pretty cheap and easy to find in nice condition.
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:57 PM   #8
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I'm hoping you got some $$ from the guy that hit you, plus part out what you have, instant upgrade.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop

Last edited by BonzoHansen; 10-02-2015 at 06:57 PM.
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance