Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

Old 01-22-2014, 01:36 PM   #1
wrong generation

Social Networks:

is the milage on the odometer stored in the computer on an lt1 car ?

i can't seem to find an lt1 dashpad anywhere. yet i see ls1 style dashpads all over the junkyards. so im considering doing the ls1 dash swap. the car is a 96z28 and i know ill need a gauge cluster from a 97z28 for the swap to work.

what im wondering is the odometer. the one in the 96 is analog. and i know the one from a 97 will be digital. so if i do the swap. will my cars correct milage instantly show on the digital read out as soon as its plugged in or not sense the current on is analog ?
wrong generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

From what I have gathered, it will display the odometer from the gauge cluster. The odometer is not stored in the pcm on the lt1 cars and mechanical clusters cannot be "reset" via a scan tool. Most often, a sticker is placed on the driver door with the odometer correction if something like this arises. I am going to be doing the same swap as well. Cut the pig tail for the 97 cluster out of the donor car as well. You should be able to repin it but you need the connector. You can also use 93-97 bird clusters from what I have read.

http://www.cardomain.com/RidePost/20...evrolet-camaro

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/in...dash-swap.html
Old 01-22-2014, 01:46 PM   #3
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

Cluster only.

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #4
wrong generation

Social Networks:

adam. are you doing the swap for the same reasons due to dashpad or just due to the look of the ls1 style ?

the last time i did the research on this. i thought with using a cluster from a 97 that no splicing of wires would be needed. could have sworn somewhere that the one from a 97 will plug right in and work no problems.

eh well that majorly sucks about the odometer. i was really hoping it was stored in the computer being obd2.
wrong generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #5
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

My dashpad broke after a couple years, got an ls interior for free so ya Definitely have to repin the old wires to the new connector, technically you aren't splicing anything. 97 clusters are tough to find, good luck. I could probably find one but it was over $100 bucks and had around 140k miles on it. Let me know.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance