Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

View Poll Results: Shoud i flush my trans?
Yes 2 33.33%
No 4 66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2006, 11:50 AM   #1
Knipps

Flush?

Transmission fluid is reported to be not good, should i go ahead with the flush?
(according to the shop my car's at...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
dumbass.
Knipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 12:46 PM   #2
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Not enough info.

Regarding the car and trans:

Year, mileage, previous maintanence schedule, any known problems, etc?

If the trans is good a flush can be ok, if it's not it can be disastrous.

Last edited by WildBillyT; 10-27-2006 at 12:46 PM.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:32 PM   #3
Knipps

1995 Camaro v6
Auto, 95k miles
unsure of previous maintenance
all i know is that the garage where my car is now suggested the flush but i don't know if that's because they're hoping to have to replace it in the future

Quote:
dumbass.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:12 PM   #4
WildBillyT

No Flush.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:34 PM   #5
V
Stalker

just have then take off the pan, drain the fluid, and put a new filter in and new fluid.
i wouldnt recommend a flush.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:16 PM   #6
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS View Post
just have then take off the pan, drain the fluid, and put a new filter in and new fluid.
i wouldnt recommend a flush.
that is so driveway-doable

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.

Last edited by Savage_Messiah; 10-27-2006 at 10:16 PM.
Savage_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 01:36 PM   #7
Knipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Messiah View Post
that is so driveway-doable
just gotta wait til i get home
unless you wanna do this all for me

Quote:
dumbass.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:12 AM   #8
johnjzjz

Trans fluid is not that different than motor oil it was designed to take out material left over from use --- our dura max chevy has an allison and every other motor oil change we do a trans plug pull 7 quarts of oil -- and the truck always feel like it shifts back to when we got it --- we use SYN in the race cars trans and 100 passes we change that oil -- pan drop -- if it has a smell to it or the color on a clean paper towell is a redish brown in color --- the pan gasket filter kit is 20 / 30 bucks and 1/2 doz quarts of oil and an hour of your time -- jz
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:06 AM   #9
alamantia

Depending on how old the vehical is, sometimes a flush in a higher mileage unit will cause problems. I dont even change the fluid and filter after 100k unless it appears real dirty. I have had experiance with Power Glides, Turbo 350's 400's and 700 R4's and I can tell you that If you do decide to change it, just make sure that 100% of the old "O" ring which goes around the filter tube gets removed from the valve body, they have a tendancy to come apart and stick to the wall of the valve body and if the new filter doesnt seal properly you can dammage the trans.
alamantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:40 AM   #10
Iroc-z86

i would agree that the older the trans, over 100k, if the fluid has not been changed before, dont. ive heard horror stories of people changing fluids and boom. no more trans. but if you do decide to do it, take it to aamco. $99 for a lifetime of trans flushes.

or you could just go manual and never have to worry about it

2011 Camaro - 2lt/rs red jewel tincoat, m6 - SOLD

2014 Camaro SS - bolt ons

1998 Jimmy - the beater
Iroc-z86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:23 PM   #11
johnjzjz

WOw than i guess suggesting changing the power steering fluid as well should be changed is really out of the question here wOW -- i guess my 40 years of experience in the car business taught me not to dis agree --jz
Old 10-30-2006, 06:25 PM   #12
Knipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjzjz View Post
WOw than i guess suggesting changing the power steering fluid as well should be changed is really out of the question here wOW -- i guess my 40 years of experience in the car business taught me not to dis agree --jz
i think thats gonna happen anyway jz the pump i have needs to be replaced

Quote:
dumbass.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:09 PM   #13
WildBillyT

Quote:
John, if the trans was dutifully maintained and the fluid was in good shape I'd tell him to go ahead and change it.

You may already know this stuff, but:

As you mentioned, ATF is made to suspend particles and such. Sometimes these particles act like a friction modifier and allow a slipping trans to remain servicible. This is how Lucas and some of those additives work, kind of like a (clutch type) limited slip rear end additive. If you flush out all the old trans fluid and the particles, the friction coefficient is back up to normal and the trans will slip away.

If you disagree, please don't hesitate to post up. I'd like to hear what you have to say.

Last edited by WildBillyT; 10-30-2006 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:13 PM   #14
Knipps

So bill can i do a manual change or shoud i leave it be all together?

Quote:
dumbass.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:15 PM   #15
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle 454 View Post
So bill can i do a manual change or shoud i leave it be all together?
That is really a hard question to answer without seeing the fluid, but I'd say to do a pan drop/filter change and inspect the fluid for any shavings/metal particles that are visible. Some pans have a magnet on the inside (the one on my GTP does) which you should clean off.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:16 PM   #16
Knipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
That is really a hard question to answer without seeing the fluid, but I'd say to do a pan drop/filter change and inspect the fluid for any shavings/metal particles that are visible. Some pans have a magnet on the inside (the one on my GTP does) which you should clean off.
check it when i get home... too bad that's in 3 weeks

Quote:
dumbass.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:48 PM   #17
johnjzjz

Ok ( wild bill T ) when i was wayfasts age i had the privilege of getting a job in a auto ? trans shop in the 1950s and the the main man in the shop was ( jimmie lee ) a black guy who just happened to be the lee in lee miles -- miles the snake as he was known buy those who knew him -- was a unreal business man and jimmie had 6 girls friends and 3 x wifes hahahahhaha -- any way i stayed their till i went into the service in 1967 and some of what that man taught me has stayed with me my entire life -- it would take me hours to type out only some of what i was taught but the thing about suspended material is very true and in a way lucas -- yea kind of i see your point -- VERY GOOD BTW -- is true but trans oil has a use life just like motor oil and gas ( reason for stabil ) and all fluids ---BUT -- at some point if you want to think of IT as full of material -- it starts going the other way it creates a drag on the seals ( scuffing ) I know you have seen the seal edges -- if its not the suspended material that did that - than what -- the clutches to steel distances are actually reduced buy the friction from oil with an over burden of material -- causes excessive heat reason it burnt out in their first place -- well as you already know if you are not the one determine what has happened to a particular unit their is no way to tell what has caused anything -- at the time people have changed oil that have come to my shop the trans has no second or it wont back up already ???/// ya know -- you sound like you do this for not only a living but u enjoy it -- its a life style in some respects hahahahahha -- i hope i made sense when i first came to the board i got beat up pretty good for me engriss grammar and spelling hahahahhahaha jz
Old 10-31-2006, 08:14 AM   #18
WildBillyT

Quote:
Ok ( wild bill T ) when i was wayfasts age i had the privilege of getting a job in a auto ? trans shop in the 1950s and the the main man in the shop was ( jimmie lee ) a black guy who just happened to be the lee in lee miles -- miles the snake as he was known buy those who knew him -- was a unreal business man and jimmie had 6 girls friends and 3 x wifes hahahahhaha -- any way i stayed their till i went into the service in 1967 and some of what that man taught me has stayed with me my entire life -- it would take me hours to type out only some of what i was taught but the thing about suspended material is very true and in a way lucas -- yea kind of i see your point -- VERY GOOD BTW -- is true but trans oil has a use life just like motor oil and gas ( reason for stabil ) and all fluids ---BUT -- at some point if you want to think of IT as full of material -- it starts going the other way it creates a drag on the seals ( scuffing ) I know you have seen the seal edges -- if its not the suspended material that did that - than what -- the clutches to steel distances are actually reduced buy the friction from oil with an over burden of material -- causes excessive heat reason it burnt out in their first place -- well as you already know if you are not the one determine what has happened to a particular unit their is no way to tell what has caused anything -- at the time people have changed oil that have come to my shop the trans has no second or it wont back up already ???/// ya know -- you sound like you do this for not only a living but u enjoy it -- its a life style in some respects hahahahahha -- i hope i made sense when i first came to the board i got beat up pretty good for me engriss grammar and spelling hahahahhahaha jz
Don't worry about the grammar, that makes perfect sense. I hadn't thought of the case in which the fluid is "full" of material! I'm not sure what the situation of his trans is, however, it is tough to say without having a firsthand look and knowing the history.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline