Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 06:21 PM   #101
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER
it is a very simple concept. if you are running on a treadmill it is your feet that is keeping pace with the treadmill.
in teh case of an airplane the wheels just sit and spin freely at whatever pace the ground under them dictates.
the thrust force of the jet engines works independantly of the wheels. it will push the plane forward regardless fo what the ground beneath the plane is doing and whatever effect that ground has on the wheels.
the plane would move forward and take off as if the conveyor system wasn't there. the only effect you would see is if you tracked the wheel speeds they woudl actually be spinning at twice teh speed of the air plane during acceleration, which doesn't matter since the wheels are jsut free spinning like roller skate wheels anyway.
and as a side note, it is actually the low pressure area above a wing that creates lift, not the force under teh wing.
thanks tim, but matt already explained it to me.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:02 PM   #102
Firebird67dude
14 Second Club

I didnt bother reading the whole thread but did anybody think that the plane engines suck the air in and thrust it out??? the conveyer belt would need to be mad big, like mmmmmm, onec the boost from the plane's engine reachesland that isnt the belt it would move. how bout this.....hahahhahaha.... move the is it a jet plane or a prop driven plane? The prop driven plane would fly away, but the jet plane would not. bIf it was a jet plane itd be traveling at -100 mph not matter wat speed if the conveyer belt was goin the same exact speed but in the opposite direction.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:04 PM   #103
95firebirdconvertible

Did anyone else realize that this is a trick thread?

Bright White '95 Firebird Convertible 3.4L A4 - Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back, Zexel Torsen Posi-traction, Black Checkered Stripes, Clear Corners, Misc. Appearance Mods.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2077741

South > All
Old 11-28-2005, 08:09 PM   #104
Teds89IROC

The plane's speed has nothing to do with the speed of the wheels. The plane can be traveling at 500 mph ground speed and the wheels can be moving 2 mph, they are not dependent upon each other.

~Ted
1998 Honda CBR 600F3
2003 Yamaha FX140
Old 11-28-2005, 11:59 PM   #105
oh one ls1 SS

if the plane will take off using the convayer system..whats the point? i dont know if the plane will take off or not but it will move now that i think about it the wheels have nothing to do with the speed because thats now what powers the plane to move.. like everyone else said like i said yesterday... if it aint broke dont fix it
Old 11-29-2005, 12:37 AM   #106
V
Stalker

lol i think its funny that this "debate" has gotten this far. The plane will move forward, it will take off. propellor or jet driven planes move upon the principal of a force acting upon the surrounding air, the status of the wheels does not matter.

say they are measuring air speed of the plane, we'll say 50mph just as an example, ok so now the belt is going 50 mph in the opposite direction, the planes wheels will now be going 50mph+50mph(or 2x the speed of the belt) so therefore 100mph forward. However the plane is still moving 50mph forward. True even at lower speeds which would allow for the acceleration to the speed needed for lift off.
Plane=1mph, belt=1mph, wheels=2mph .... overall movement +1mph
Plane=2mph, Belt=2mph, Wheels=4mph .... overall movement +2mph
...etc...
xP(plane)=xB(belt)=2xW(wheels) x=mph

just keep in mind that this "treadmill" will need to be the length of a runway at least to keep the idea of the belt vs wheels going, otherwise the plane will move right off it.

yeah i know no one will understand this...but oh well, keep thinking the plane will sit in one place. its like saying a jet engine car will have traction problems. lol

Last edited by V; 11-29-2005 at 12:40 AM.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:04 AM   #107
Koll
14 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS
lol i think its funny that this "debate" has gotten this far. The plane will move forward, it will take off. propellor or jet driven planes move upon the principal of a force acting upon the surrounding air, the status of the wheels does not matter.

say they are measuring air speed of the plane, we'll say 50mph just as an example, ok so now the belt is going 50 mph in the opposite direction, the planes wheels will now be going 50mph+50mph(or 2x the speed of the belt) so therefore 100mph forward. However the plane is still moving 50mph forward. True even at lower speeds which would allow for the acceleration to the speed needed for lift off.
Plane=1mph, belt=1mph, wheels=2mph .... overall movement +1mph
Plane=2mph, Belt=2mph, Wheels=4mph .... overall movement +2mph
...etc...
xP(plane)=xB(belt)=2xW(wheels) x=mph

just keep in mind that this "treadmill" will need to be the length of a runway at least to keep the idea of the belt vs wheels going, otherwise the plane will move right off it.

yeah i know no one will understand this...but oh well, keep thinking the plane will sit in one place. its like saying a jet engine car will have traction problems. lol

...........no
Old 11-29-2005, 08:11 AM   #108
jims69camaro

forget the wheels, already. they have nothing to do with the plane's speed.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
Old 11-29-2005, 09:57 AM   #109
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

i'm not gonna lie. the only thing i dont understand is why the belt cant continue to accelerate even though its not the wheels propelling it? i understand that the wheels dont involve the motion but the belt does and that can move at any speed so wouldnt that counteract the thrust reguardless?
Old 11-29-2005, 10:16 AM   #110
Tsar
MIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikz28
i'm not gonna lie. the only thing i dont understand is why the belt cant continue to accelerate even though its not the wheels propelling it? i understand that the wheels dont involve the motion but the belt does and that can move at any speed so wouldnt that counteract the thrust reguardless?
i was thinking the same. i know wheels dont measure the airplanes speed. Thats what ram air and pitot tube are for. So how can an airplane take off at 0 airspeed? If conveyer belt has an X speed that means it will counteract ANY speed produced by the thrusters or props. That will result at 0 airspeed and from my experiences while flying airplanes they simply dont take off at 0 airspeed, ever. Maybe someone can show it to me?
Old 11-29-2005, 10:37 AM   #111
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

I didn't hear the full explanation that he gave, however Scott's (96ImpSS) brother is an Aeronautical (sp?) Engineer for NASA, and we asked him this question last night. According to him, the plane would not take off, as long as the conveyor was measuring the speed of plane and matching it in the opposite direction.

- Justin

Old 11-29-2005, 10:41 AM   #112
Tsar
MIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy
I didn't hear the full explanation that he gave, however Scott's (96ImpSS) brother is an Aeronautical (sp?) Engineer for NASA, and we asked him this question last night. According to him, the plane would not take off, as long as the conveyor was measuring the speed of plane and matching it in the opposite direction.

- Justin
Thanks, we win!
Old 11-29-2005, 10:47 AM   #113
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:

- Justin
cause even if the thrust moves the plane not the wheels, the wheels still continue to move. now if the wheels/belt are held at a constant speed and then you ask if the plane can still take off, thats a different question.

i still say damn the man who made this trick question!
Old 11-29-2005, 10:14 PM   #114
Firebird67dude
14 Second Club

I say we just call myth busters and myb if they do this one of them will die... and i will LAUGH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
Old 11-29-2005, 10:16 PM   #115
jims69camaro

Quote:
the conveyor was measuring the speed of plane and matching it in the opposite direction.

- Justin
my point exactly. i didn't have years of school and then years of work experience to determine that, either...

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
Old 11-29-2005, 10:18 PM   #116
Rob WS6

Quote:

- Justin
And now I have just about lost all faith in NASA. Your kidding me, right? I mean really, you ARE joking?
Old 11-29-2005, 10:19 PM   #117
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:23 PM   #118
Firebird67dude
14 Second Club

Sorry for the double post but here..... The plane would be moving backwards at 100mph bcuz: the conveyer belt is moving north at 300mph, plane speed is south at 300mph plane is not moving. the speed would balance themselves out. The plane needs lift under the wings which is air speed. It is not getting it with a jet engine, a prop driven plane would get lift bcuz the prop causes wind speed over the wing causing lift.

BIOTCH
Old 11-29-2005, 10:43 PM   #119
Tsar
MIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird67dude
Sorry for the double post but here..... The plane would be moving backwards at 100mph bcuz: the conveyer belt is moving north at 300mph, plane speed is south at 300mph plane is not moving. the speed would balance themselves out. The plane needs lift under the wings which is air speed. It is not getting it with a jet engine, a prop driven plane would get lift bcuz the prop causes wind speed over the wing causing lift.

BIOTCH
it still wont take off. I can sit on the ramp and redline the engine all day long and if my airspeed indicator reads zero the plane will be on the ground. And you that do as a part of "before take off" checklist.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:59 PM   #120
Kojak

Wow I cant believe I read it all... and I am a bit confused, I understand why the guys who think it will take off think that it will take off, and it seems like they could be right but,

No matter how much I want to see it take off I don’t think it will because the wheels are relevant to the plane on take off. As long as the treadmill is balancing out the speed of the tires of the plane, which have nothing to do with airspeed, it will stay grounded. In order for flight you need thrust and lift, in this situation their will be tons and tons of thrust but no lift because the plane will not be moving foreword...

And yeah F The Plane..!
Old 11-29-2005, 11:03 PM   #121
Kojak

The only way i could see it taking off is if the treadmill wasn't attached to the ground, so it could move with the plane.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:08 PM   #122
Kojak

You know Chuck Norris once took out a plane by pointing to the sky and saying bang...
Old 11-30-2005, 12:04 AM   #123
Ian

the belt does not counteract the thrust because it does not act directly upon the thrust. If the plane were tied down, yes, there would be no thrust, but its free to move. the thrust is pushing the BODY of the plane, not the wheels. Think of it like water skiing. the boat is pulling you (thrust) and the skis go along for the ride. same thing.

Funny at the beginning of the thread I thought it wouldnt take off.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:08 AM   #124
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

F THE PLANE!!!!!!

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:09 AM   #125
Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Messiah
F THE PLANE!!!!!!
word son, just like my sig says!
Closed Thread

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge