Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-22-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
RiggsLW81

"Best" Best Buy...

I have a gift certificate to Best Buy, so I've been thinking about getting a new head unit (something capable of plugging in my ipod). If you buy one, you get free installation.

The question is, which Best Buy (in the north) is the best for installations? Anyone have any good/bad feedback? Just want to be careful since I don't want any hackjobs touching the IROC...

I've heard Secaucus isn't good at all. A friend had his head unit done at the Paramus (Garden State plaza) one and said it came out ok, but he had to go back 2x for adjustments.
RiggsLW81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
enRo
13 Second Club

DIY. I would never trust an audio installer to touch my car. Three buddies of mine had bad experiences this summer... two with best buy, another with a small business. Broken panels, crappy wire jobs, etc etc. I would rather break my own car. They aren't held reliable if something breaks IIRC.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
Czop418

.... Well they say free installation that means they over price your for the wiring kit , and the in dash kit. At walmart 15 dollars max. At best buy 55$. My personal opinion find somebody on here to do it and or try it yourself.All it really is plug and play.

Last edited by Czop418; 09-22-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Czop418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
Little G
Lifetime Power Member

I would never get an install done at a place like Best Buy. The people they hire generally just have no skill - any one of us could do better.

I always had my work done at Sound Automotive in Hamilton. They are pricey but they do really professional work.

I am willing to pay a few bucks up front for a good result rather than cheap out and get a crap job.

g
Fear the Gear. 13.585 @ 100.05 1.827
Beater: 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Little G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
maroman88
12 Second Club

yea wat everyone else sed
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
GP99GT
Mr Fantastic

yeah...if you cant do it yourself, take it to a real audio shop. Especially in this area. Its really not that hard to do yourself, you just get a harness and a mounting kit and follow instructions...with the harness you dont have to cut your factory wiring or anything

B18B1 FTW
GP99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #7
gotmudnj

hey i can hellp you install it its pretty simple you get the dash kit and harness that connects to your car. then you connect wires...red yellow black three main wires on harness that gives you power igniction and ground. then connect speakers only thing is do you know if you have a amplified factory system. if you want pm me and i can help you and maybe even give you a hand...i do all my own radios and my boy does to...he used to be a lead installer at a bestbuy and he has a 4 gen that he did all his own sound to.

2004 jeep wrangler 3 inch lift with 32's locker in front winch and lights.

2001 harley davidson sportster.
gotmudnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #8
Tsar
MIR

back in the day I took my T/A to best buy to install my head unit, it performed more reliably than the rest of my car... It's pretty hard to screw up a head unit installation.
Tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:33 PM   #9
gotmudnj

i bet to different on that tsar. i worked their selling and helping out and i seen some of the carnage that happened when installing a radio and such. people running wires to things that dont know blowing up fuse panels. As long as you know what wires do and how to test them you will be fine. I seen a radios wired up with nothing but electrical tape and thats not the worst. just becareful remember live wires start fires.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:01 PM   #10
Mike
BadMod

the mess ups usually occur when having speakers or amps installed......a head unit install with the wiring kit is LITERALLY a 30 minute or less job, and you need to be completely retarded to mess it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:06 PM   #11
Tsar
MIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrrmike View Post
the mess ups usually occur when having speakers or amps installed......a head unit install with the wiring kit is LITERALLY a 30 minute or less job, and you need to be completely retarded to mess it up.
+1 for this genius!
Tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:23 PM   #12
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

It isn't entirely true that they are all incompetent. My buddy used to work at Circuit City and the lead tech was an amazing installer. He helped me quite a bit when I was putting together the old system in my Camaro. His own car was a work of art. A couple of the other guys were good too. My friend sucked though, I went and helped him out a few times when the other techs weren't there and he was stuck with a customer's car.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:28 PM   #13
gotmudnj

same here i love doing wiring and stuff. some people bring in cars and get just a radio but they harness is cut from them trying to do it or someone that didnt know how to install a radio tried and hacked wires in back so go to test them all its the people who dont know how to install that makes things difficult. i think amp install are easier than radios. its tuning them thats the hardest. my wrangler i had a flip out tv bypassed so i can watch dvds while driving/ offroading went to phili one night watching american history x lol

Old 09-22-2009, 11:30 PM   #14
Czop418

... Do it yourself. Honestly it'll save you the headache of trying to fix a "professional's" mistake. Heres a prime example of how stupid can turn dangerous.

In March of 08 I decided to let my Family Freind / Mechanic of 20 + years do my brakes. Now he owns his own business and is a very smart guy but his helper was a tool. So lets get on with this. Started hearing sqeauling blew it off for a week then started hearing a grinding sound coming from the brakes. I got nervous and was like damn wtf is that i guess time for new brakes. Well got new brakes yada yada go to put them on got to take out the 2nd slider pin on pass brake. Realize there is NO SLIDER PIN. He stripped it out completly and instead of doing a helicoil he let me drive around with 1 slider pin. Yea Stupid turned dangerous. I personally think the helper did my brakes but still. If i would have done it myself i wouldnt have had to go through with all the trouble of fixing some one else mistake.
Czop418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:23 AM   #15
camaro2you

Stay FAR AWAY from install places like that, it's simple to connect the two connectors together and put the face plate together it just depends on your skill whether or not if you want to crimp them together or solder and heat shrink.
camaro2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:55 PM   #16
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Another vote for do it yourself. Yes, a head unit installation is hard to mess up, but they tend to overcharge you for the connector and any other needed parts. You'll most likely end up saving money doing it yourself.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #17
SupermanX24

if you decide to take it to a best buy, I suggest the one in Union, on 22. Use to work there, know the installers personally.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:47 PM   #18
JerzLT1

i used to work at the one down south in mays landing and all 3 of the installers are certified (had to go to school) and do awesome work. i would trust any of the 3 to do installs on my car
Old 09-27-2009, 09:08 AM   #19
Teds89IROC

I've done mine (iroc and thunderbird) myself, not hard at all when you have the harness like the rest have said. If you're going to have them do it; I would suggest taking off the trim panel ahead of time so all that's left for them to touch are the 4 7mm bolts holding the actual head unit to the car. That trim panel should be the only thing they might phuck up.
1998 Honda CBR 600F3
2003 Yamaha FX140
Teds89IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #20
MonmouthCtyAntz

Buddy at work did mine (speakers also) and honestly it really didnt look too difficult at all. They offer it for free because it takes next to no labor time...Probably doesnt matter which one you bring it to...id say the closest as its pretty hard to screw up.

AI HCR 241's , Lunati 223/236 .615/.626 114+2 , Full Exhaust , Ported Fast 92 , Ported LS2 TB , Veraram , 85mm MAF , Circle D 4000 , 3.42's , GTP 36# , CSP Dyno tune. More on the way
420 HP/367 TQ on a Unlocked Converter & still climbing.
MonmouthCtyAntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #21
gotmudnj

id say go to any becuase if one messes up you can bring it to any bestbuy i worked at the one in eb for a while and we had other bestbuys mess ups and ours had to fix them from others. since its a huge company you can bring it to any. they come with a warrenty for install if you buy it their. parts are not just install is. and if you decided to sell car they will uninstall if for free and put back the radio you had it in. but thats only if its basic install and not advanced.

Last edited by gotmudnj; 09-28-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #22
blueshark123

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmudnj View Post
id say go to any becuase if one messes up you can bring it to any bestbuy i worked at the one in eb for a while and we had other bestbuys mess ups and ours had to fix them from others. since its a huge company you can bring it to any. they come with a warrenty for install if you buy it their. parts are not just install is. and if you decided to sell car they will uninstall if for free and put back the radio you had it in. but thats only if its basic install and not advanced.
Or just get it done right the first. I personally would rather pay more and not have to worry about going somewhere else to have it fixed.
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge