Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 05-14-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
The Fixer

1/8" Wheel Spacers Safe??

Hey all,
I'm posting this here, cause it's tech for my Jeep. I ordered a set of Raybestos Brutestop rotors for my '01 Cherokee and went to install them on Saturday. I come to find out though, in mid-99, Jeep switched from composite rotors to cast rotors. The composite rotors measure 3 3/16" tall. The cast rotors are 3 1/16", and of course the Brutestops are made to the taller spec. That's a difference of 1/8". Does anyone think I could run a 1/8" spacer in between the hub and the backside of the rotor to make up the difference, then bolt the wheel on as normal? How safe are those spacers?

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
V
Stalker

maybe im not fully sure of what the problem is, but could you get say early 99 caliper brackets? and use those, or is there somethign else not lining up?

edit: oh and next time, i wont pull so far out into the intersection, that way you can make the turn better, lol, i was in the beat up dodge ram. it was like down the road from your steet, parallel to the tracks. hehe

Last edited by V; 05-14-2007 at 12:10 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
hardline_42

Wheel spacers, no matter how thin, put an extra bending moment on your wheel studs. The widest you can safely run are 1/4" spacers, IMO. After that you have to go a different direction (wheel adapters).

'93 Z28 LT1 - Parting out

"Is that a rat? No, it's just a really fat mouse."

hardline_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:03 PM   #4
The Fixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS View Post
maybe im not fully sure of what the problem is, but could you get say early 99 caliper brackets? and use those, or is there somethign else not lining up?
Well, I was trying to fix the issue on the cheap. See, the rotor diameter and thickness across is the same for all years. The difference is in the distance from the face of the rotor out to the axle hub (where the wheel bolts on). These spiffy new rotors stick out 1/8" further than where the axle hub sits, so when you go to tighten the rim, it tries to pull in the face of the rotor and make up the difference. When I put the brakes on on Saturday, when I tightened up the lugs, it actually pulled the rotor in far enough to lock it solid against the backing plate. If I put that 1/8" spacer between the rotor and axle hub, it would make up the distance. Would it be safe though? I assume yes, because the studs are long, and the wheel/rotor will be sandwiching against the spacer and wheel hub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS
edit: oh and next time, i wont pull so far out into the intersection, that way you can make the turn better, lol, i was in the beat up dodge ram. it was like down the road from your steet, parallel to the tracks. hehe
Hehehe, it's all good, I don't even remember it happening! Was I in my Cherokee, or wife's Liberty?

Last edited by The Fixer; 05-14-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:29 PM   #5
V
Stalker

if you're around tomorrow, or anyday this week and gonna be home, give me a call and i'll swing by, and ill take a look at it with you. I'd call you, but I dont have your number anymore lol, i go through phones too often.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:05 PM   #6
The Fixer

Sounds good Paul! I'll give you a ring tomorrow when I get home from work. Thanks!

Old 05-16-2007, 03:26 PM   #7
Batman
11 Second Club

You should be OK with 1/8", I wouldn't go past a 1/4" though
Chasing 10's
469RWH/437RWTQ
11.05 @ 123
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:43 PM   #8
BigAls87Z28

Can I ask...why not return the rotors for the correct ones?
Old 05-22-2007, 01:56 PM   #9
The Fixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Can I ask...why not return the rotors for the correct ones?
Well, I wound up doing that. I wanted to run the slotted rotors, but they only make them in the 3 3/16" depth, so I will send 'em back. Unless some other Jeeper here wants them? Hmmm, maybe I'll make a For Sale post on 'em.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech