Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 11-19-2009, 12:32 AM   #1
andy78TA

G braces... anyone use them?

I am thinking about getting a set of G braces for my T/A... does anyone use them? I have been trying to search but it doesn't seem like many people here have 2nd gens. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...

Here is a link too
http://www.pro-touringf-body.com/cha...omponents.html
Old 11-19-2009, 07:48 AM   #2
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I have a set sitting on the bench, lol. I will put them in before spring, barring anymore house calamities.

By all accounts they work great. Basically a Herb Adams design. I know when Mary Pozzi put them in her car she said they made a very noticable difference autocrossing. As an 8 time SCCCA national champion (or something along those lines) she'd know, lol. Do it. Tell Dave (Pro-Touring F-Body) I said hello.

Do you have sub frame connectors yet? What kind of body bushings are you using?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:12 AM   #3
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
I have a set sitting on the bench, lol. I will put them in before spring, barring anymore house calamities.

By all accounts they work great. Basically a Herb Adams design. I know when Mary Pozzi put them in her car she said they made a very noticable difference autocrossing. As an 8 time SCCCA national champion (or something along those lines) she'd know, lol. Do it. Tell Dave (Pro-Touring F-Body) I said hello.

Do you have sub frame connectors yet? What kind of body bushings are you using?
Agreed. If you do not have subframe connectors and new body bushings yet, do them first.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:15 PM   #4
andy78TA

I was planning on ordering the subframe connectors with the g-braces. As for the body bushings i honestly have no idea what I have on there. I would bet that they are stock though... How hard are they to replace? I am not a mechanic by any means but have done brake jobs, changed out alternators, AC components, lift kits, etc. I was looking up on the energy suspension ones... Thanks

edit: would the 3 or 4 piece set they have on the above website be a good buy?

Last edited by andy78TA; 11-22-2009 at 05:18 PM. Reason: added info
andy78TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
BonzoHansen
Admin.

No poly. Go solid, either from Dave or from Global West.

How hard? Well, that depends on if they come out.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17406

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 11-22-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
WildBillyT

GW makes nice stuff. Three things you should know:

1.) 1/2" shorter than stock bushings will drop the body down on the frame to lower the car, but you can run into things like header clearance/air cleaner interferance/body panel misalignment issues.

2.) Use PB Blaster or Kroil for a few days on the bolts, threads, and everything else surrounding the body bolts. If you break one of the ones under the passenger compartment you may have to open up your floor to get it out.

3.) Use anti-seize on the new bolts liberally.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
andy78TA

Ok, so go with solid mounts, especially because I don't want to crack the subframe connectors but don't go with the kit shown? Get them from global west? I am looking at keeping them on the stock height because I have headers on order.... which reminds me, anyone interested in helping me install headers? haha
Old 11-22-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
BonzoHansen
Admin.

You can mount Dave's full height. I'd get the whole deal from him.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #9
andy78TA

Okay sounds good. That way I can save some money and as a college student that is always a plus. Also the subframe connectors, some people say to weld them on and some people say to bolt them... can I bolt them on? I don't know where I would take the car to have them welded. Sorry about all the questions, im really trying to learn haha
Old 11-22-2009, 05:53 PM   #10
BonzoHansen
Admin.

They can be bolted - mine are. It is a bitch. Really they need to be welded at the back & bolted up front.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #11
andy78TA

Alright sounds like i'll have to look into that a little more. Hopefully they come with some sort of instructions. I am hoping to order the 3 piece set sometime soon depending on how much money I have after holiday shopping, once they are here I will figure out how to get the subframe connectors on, I think I can handle everything else. Thanks a lot for all your help Bonzo and Wild
Old 11-22-2009, 07:33 PM   #12
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
They can be bolted - mine are. It is a bitch. Really they need to be welded at the back & bolted up front.
You can bolt them in and then tack weld (more like a big tack) them in place. Otherwise the bolt holes can elongate over time.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:37 PM   #13
BonzoHansen
Admin.

If you're in school and not daily driving this car there is no rush!

Old 11-23-2009, 10:41 PM   #14
andy78TA

Yeah its good that it can just sit while Im at school and I have an explorer as a daily driver but I want to do as much work to this over the winter that I can so it will be better for the spring haha

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech