Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 10-26-2009, 01:26 AM   #1
siguy

who can do an alignment for our cars (wandering issues)

OK my car wanders all over the place if there is a rut or uneven pavement you bet i hold on and try to keep her steady ( i looks like i am drunk when i am drinvinf in a rut invested place like the nj turnpike) .... even after a full aliment still have not resolved this problem (to stock specs)

The suspention was done plus the rag joint replaced (from unbalanced engineering)

here is a list of all the stuff done... plus new ball joints tie rod ends etc..

SLP-Lowering Springs & BilStein Shocks, SLP-Panhard bar, 1LE Front & Rear Sway Bars, DMS-Sub Frame Connectors, DS Loop, LS1 Front brakes, SS ZR1 Rims w/ 275/40/17 Sumitomo Tires.

my 97 z/28 with the same rim and tire combo was no way near as bad has my 95 t/a so at this pont i am ready to chuck the slp springs and shock and go back to stock ...... rrrr

so iam looking for a shop in nj that knows what they are doing with lowered cars ........ thx jim

Last edited by siguy; 10-26-2009 at 01:29 AM.
siguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
DevilDougWS6
11 Second Club

wider tires tend to do that. an alignment wont fix this problem. but definitely check for loose nuts and bolts. i have tthe same problem on roads that are worn down with ruts. its just the uneven contact on different angles the tire wants to go up and down the rut.

J E R S E Y S H O R E O W N S Y O U
12 Sonic Turbo
07 Malibu SS
04 Silverado SS - Sold
00 Trans Am WS6 - Sold

-.:: United States Marine Corps ::.-
DevilDougWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
siguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDougWS6 View Post
wider tires tend to do that. an alignment wont fix this problem. but definitely check for loose nuts and bolts. i have tthe same problem on roads that are worn down with ruts. its just the uneven contact on different angles the tire wants to go up and down the rut.
hi went trough everything ... and it still likes to wonder ... yes i can understand the wide tires tend to wonder but my 97 z/28 was nowhere near what this car does (even with the same wheel and tire combo)

(I am thinking is the combo of the slp springs (which lowered the car about 3/4 on an inch and shocks that could be adding to the problem)... i am almost ready to pull the system off and return it to stock ......
Old 10-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #4
HeadlessNorseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by siguy View Post
...even with the same wheel and tire combo...

(I am thinking is the combo of the slp springs (which lowered the car about 3/4 on an inch and shocks that could be adding to the problem)... i am almost ready to pull the system off and return it to stock ......
there is your problem!! lowering the car changes the suspension geometry more than you would imagine

JSFBOA

Draino?
HeadlessNorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
DevilDougWS6
11 Second Club

sorry missed that part. and yes lowering the car changes the entire suspension geometry.

J E R S E Y S H O R E O W N S Y O U
12 Sonic Turbo
07 Malibu SS
04 Silverado SS - Sold
00 Trans Am WS6 - Sold

-.:: United States Marine Corps ::.-
DevilDougWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
siguy

so what specs should i tell my friend to dail in to help combat this problem and make this car feel less darty
Old 10-26-2009, 10:05 PM   #7
BonzoHansen
Admin.

best you can really do is toe it in a bit. a bit more caster might help. you are fighting the big tires

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:46 AM   #8
JW

Yea my tires on my TA drag me all over the highway when I drive on Route 55.

Its a pain.

JW
Old 10-27-2009, 10:16 AM   #9
JerzLT1

my g/fs car has 275s all the way around and its HORRIBLE, far worse then my LS1 was with 275s up front and 315s in the back believe it or not
Old 10-27-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
siguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
best you can really do is toe it in a bit. a bit more caster might help. you are fighting the big tires

what spec should i go with ?
Old 10-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #11
V
Stalker

Get youself a "bumpsteer kit", bmr and spohn both make them i believe. Much of it is caused by the improper angle of the tierod going from the rack to the wheels. the bumpsteer kit has "spacers" in a way that allow the tierods to sit at the original angle.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #12
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siguy View Post
what spec should i go with ?
Whatever the vehicle specs are (the alignment machine will have them), go maximum allowable toe-in. Settings are usually a range, so go to the inside of the range.

Paul may be onto something regarding bump steer issues, although bumpsteer does not cause 'rut drift' AFAIK. I forget how to measure bump steer, I'd have to look that up.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #13
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

My 93 was horrible with 275s up front, concrete roads were the worst! I went down to 245s and it's 100% better!
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #14
GP99GT
Mr Fantastic

the problem is called "tramlining". http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=47 read up

B18B1 FTW
GP99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:09 PM   #15
creeper

my car is lowered about 1.5" all around, and with 275's it wandered a bit. hitting bumps and ruts the car would just get pulled so i pretty much always drove with 2 hands on the wheel. surprisingly going from 32/19 swaybars to 35/21 swaybars actually stopped a lot of the pulling and wheel shaking over bumps.

didn't make a lot of sense to me but that was the only thing i changed and since then my car has been immensely more controlled over uneven/bumpy pavement. the guy who welded in my sfc's not too long ago commented on how my straight and controlled my car drove.

|2000 Trans Am|T56 swap|Bolt Ons| Suspension|
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:26 AM   #16
siguy

i did a search about tramlining and came accross an article from gm high tech when they were upgrading the suspention on a 4th gen they gave the stock aliment specs but explained how they tweeked the cadter and toe in but what sucks is that they did not give the final spec of where they put the settings

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com.../photo_30.html
Old 10-29-2009, 11:21 AM   #17
creeper

not sure if this helps any but there's a few recommendations here:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/suspension.html

|2000 Trans Am|T56 swap|Bolt Ons| Suspension|
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #18
siguy

thank you... for all your input will be take this car to the aliment shop and play around with the aliment to see if i can correct this problem... will give you guys an update to what find
Old 11-06-2009, 06:27 PM   #19
siguy

UPdate

OK yeasterday after i put the superchager belt and hoses on I replaced the slp stage 1 springs and shocks with stock 2002ss front springs and shocks and stock LT1 T/A rear springs and shocks guess what most of my issues went away Yes the car handled great with the set up and I give up some handling but to tell you the truth it was not much (i do have bigger sway bars (front and rear) and frame connectors etc ) but also car rides much better and have some more headers clearance.... oh yea most of the tramling went away........ still have some but no where near as bad as it was before .... so i am a little puzzled ... (maybe since the car was lowered maybe the sway bar was binding or maybe i was was getting bump streer from the tierod ends.

beats me but the car is a pleasure to drive again ....
Old 12-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #20
98tadriver
10 Second Club; Has fan club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW View Post
Yea my tires on my TA drag me all over the highway when I drive on Route 55.

Its a pain.

JW
lol i remember when u passed me on rt 47 up near me on our way to the roadhouse meet. that road had your car going all over the place lol

to the OP- even if ur suspension is dialed in, the ruts in the road will continue to make ur car go all over the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzLT1 View Post
my g/fs car has 275s all the way around and its HORRIBLE, far worse then my LS1 was with 275s up front and 315s in the back believe it or not
yeah! i noticed that too! im really surprised, my car feels normal with those 275/315 tires on

2001 Corvette, Bolt ons , tuned 10.75@124.56 mph 1.38 60' Sold

1997 Saturn Sc1 5spd DOHC swapped
Bolt ons, decked head, stock intake cam on exhaust side, lotsa weight redux
13.22@102.32 mph 1.93 60'
12's on moda? One day
98tadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:10 PM   #21
siguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tadriver View Post
lol i remember when u passed me on rt 47 up near me on our way to the roadhouse meet. that road had your car going all over the place lol

to the OP- even if ur suspension is dialed in, the ruts in the road will continue to make ur car go all over the place.

yeah! i noticed that too! im really surprised, my car feels normal with those 275/315 tires on

was I on the throttle? or diving normal?

My 97 z/28 never had a problem with the bigger tire/rim combo so i dont know what the hell it is about this car .... i took the lower springs and shock s out and it made a nice difference but it still wanders more then I want.. not sure what to do .... (everything has been done on the suspension) dumb question is there bushings on the rack... tha could be worn out because i am still scratching my head what it could be ... )
Old 12-16-2009, 08:30 PM   #22
Foosh

very interesting i was on rt 36 the other day, and i was fighting to keep it in my lane. I might be looking into this soon...
Foosh is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech