Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 04-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #51
Slow-V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark42 View Post
So if I were theoretically need to do brackets, and I'm not racing, and not pushing monster power, what brackets would you recommend? Aren't longer control arms needed.

It can possibly be a bad componant in you suspension but more then likely it is just your stock suspension being a stock suspension! By the time and money you waste on changing endlinks, and bushiungs you could just get a set of Control arms and be done with it!

I got a set of BMR non adjustable tubular control arms for 80.00 brand new for my V6 and it solved the wheel hop issue. I then went overboard and did a Tq arm, PHB,Relocation brackets, Adjustable shocks, and Subframe connectors then the car really hooked good.
1998 Corvette Convertible, Vararam Intake+Power Duct, Fast 90/90, Ti Axleback..12.8@110
2003 Cobra Convertible 10th Anniversary
http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6
Local car cruise schedule..
http://www.cliffscalendar.com/
Slow-V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #52
V
Stalker

at least your not me, i got wheel hop that no one can solve 100%...
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #53
Mark42

Sometimes I can be stubborn. I have to admit that not having wheel hop in my 96 really points me toward a problem with the suspension, not just an upgrade. Regardless, I'll probably install a bolt on set of LCA brackets. Been reading about them on various manfuacturers web sites. Seems like they are mandatory for a lowered suspension, and they all pretty much claim an improvement in hooking up with a stock height suspension.

So, if a used set of BMR bolts on is available I'll take those, otherwise will have to buy new. Will take a look around.

1998 Firebird Coupe
Mods: 3.73 Gears, Eaton TrueTrac, PCM Tune, LS1 Aluminum Drive Shaft, Cold Air Intake, 180 Thermostat, Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, Moog LCA busings.

My Firebird Projects
: Click Here

Mark42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #54
Slow-V6

So your car is lowered?
1998 Corvette Convertible, Vararam Intake+Power Duct, Fast 90/90, Ti Axleback..12.8@110
2003 Cobra Convertible 10th Anniversary
http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6
Local car cruise schedule..
http://www.cliffscalendar.com/
Slow-V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #55
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow-V6 View Post
So your car is lowered?
No, he's on stock springs.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:23 PM   #56
Mark42

Can you guys explain what the the difference in handling is between the upper and lower mounting points on the relocation brackets? All brandsl have two mounting locations, and generally say to use the lower mount for maximum traction like in drag racing, and the upper location for a more neutral feel. A more neutral feel to what? Does the lower mount mess up handling in turns? The manufacturers are very vague when describing what their brackets do and the differences between mounting locations.

1998 Firebird Coupe
Mods: 3.73 Gears, Eaton TrueTrac, PCM Tune, LS1 Aluminum Drive Shaft, Cold Air Intake, 180 Thermostat, Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, Moog LCA busings.

My Firebird Projects

Old 04-27-2010, 06:25 PM   #57
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

basically, I use the upper one. If the car was lowered .. id use the lowest one.

To add:

All you want is the control arm to be on a downward angle when sitting level at ride height.

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85

Last edited by deadtrend1; 04-27-2010 at 06:28 PM.
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:33 PM   #58
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Since you have a very powerful powerplant, I would suggest the lower hole for most traction under severe power application.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #59
Mark42

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadtrend1 View Post
basically, I use the upper one. If the car was lowered .. id use the lowest one.

To add:

All you want is the control arm to be on a downward angle when sitting level at ride height.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTs1ow View Post
Since you have a very powerful powerplant, I would suggest the lower hole for most traction under severe power application.
Ha! Now I know you're pulling my leg!

Yeah, I'll start with the lower mount and if the car handles funny, I'll move it up a notch.

I wish these companies would give more details on their products. Would make life easier.

1998 Firebird Coupe

My Firebird Projects

Old 04-27-2010, 07:24 PM   #60
NastyEllEssWon

Quote:
Thanks!

Yeah, I'll start with the lower mount and if the car handles funny, I'll move it up a notch.

I wish these companies would give more details on their products. Would make life easier.

so you do the opposite that tim suggests??? you even said it yourself ''lower mount for drag application.'' with everything ive read from you and with the specs/mods your cars has...you should put it in the furthest hole from ''drag application.'' in fact i think you should drill a new mounting hole and we'll name it after you.
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #61
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Thanks!

Call them and talk to them.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #62
Mark42

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyEllEssWon View Post
so you do the opposite that tim suggests??? you even said it yourself ''lower mount for drag application.'' with everything ive read from you and with the specs/mods your cars has...you should put it in the furthest hole from ''drag application.'' in fact i think you should drill a new mounting hole and we'll name it after you.
I would be honored.

Regarding the mounting placement, most manufacturers say the upper hole is for lowered cars. My car is not lowered. Thats why I will probably use the lower. The lower hole is for max traction, like drag racing. My complaint is they don't define what "neutral feel" means when using the top hole, and if there are any handling issues other than launch traction.

Like Bonzo suggests, I will end having to call them and find out first hand what they say about handling differences.

1998 Firebird Coupe

My Firebird Projects

Old 04-27-2010, 08:16 PM   #63
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

I am sure they would love to hear from you.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:40 PM   #64
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Call them and talk to them.
Ha. Beat me to it. Give them a call for sure.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:27 PM   #65
198esp1

the rear control arm angle is very important, it controls a term called roll steer, if you do a search on frrax you should find it. rule of thumb for a 4th gen is pointing down from the rear,top or stock hole. most guys with the brackets add a middle hole and use that. i use the bottom hole but my car is pretty far from stock. Rear axel brackets wont fix wheel hop if you have a bad bushing some were. good luck with it.
198esp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:13 AM   #66
Mark42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 198esp1 View Post
the rear control arm angle is very important, it controls a term called roll steer, if you do a search on frrax you should find it. rule of thumb for a 4th gen is pointing down from the rear,top or stock hole. most guys with the brackets add a middle hole and use that. i use the bottom hole but my car is pretty far from stock. Rear axel brackets wont fix wheel hop if you have a bad bushing some were. good luck with it.
Thank You! That is the most in depth info I've seen yet.

Update: Well been reading about roll steer. Seems the steeper the angle of the rear trailing arm, the more pronounced roll steer becomes. Applying the basic rules of control arm mounting to our f-body, and it looks like the lower the mounting point used on the bracket, the more over steer will be created. But the flatter the car handles, the less the roll steer affect because roll steer happens then the axle is not parallel to the body. So its still up in the air as to what/how pronounced the effect will be.

Anyone have experience with this in the fbody?

Going to have to experiment to see what works for me.

1998 Firebird Coupe

My Firebird Projects

Last edited by Mark42; 04-28-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #67
Mark42

I spoke to UMI this evening. They said that if the car was not lowered, and using the stock suspension, even though the lower mount does cause over steer it probably would not be noticed unless "you are pushing the car". In other words, driving to work you won't notice it, but keep in mind that hard cornering will be affected. They also said as long as the rest of the suspension is sound, the bracket will eliminate the wheel hop.

So what did we learn?

1) Even though none of the manufacturers mention it on their website, the use of Control Arm Brackets will increase roll steer, and therefore, over steer. For the average driver, this is a bad thing.

2) Calling the manufacturer directly will give you more info than they want to "share" in their sales pitch.

3) Don't just take anyone's word as gospel on what you should do or not do to solve a suspension problem. Many people are just "talking through their hat".

4) Doing complete research will save you the headache and expense of buying parts and installing them without knowing if said parts will actually do what you want.

Regards,

Mark.

1998 Firebird Coupe

My Firebird Projects

Last edited by Mark42; 04-29-2010 at 09:32 AM. Reason: spelling

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech