Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 05-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #26
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
Al,

If you know where that was I'd love to see it.
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowend
Polyurethane and its variations (like poly graphite) have no business being used in any rotational bushing application. This means leaf springs, a-arms, trailing arms, strut rods ect...
Old 05-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #27
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Thanks. I figured it would be a post by Brett.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:54 AM   #28
BonzoHansen
Admin.

To the heart of the matter, it is echoed in books like Herb Adams' Chassis Engineering. It's all about the bind, and to a much lesser degree the way it wears. WBT I bet your local library has a copy, it's a terrific book. That said, a poly with a steel insert that is greasable at the pivot point is different from a pure poly bushing.

IMO poly is a step between OE rubber and solid racecar type stuff. With the advent of solid stuff with delrin inserts for a street car you get much closer to the best of both worlds, without the inherent noise and wear issue of actual bearings that are not weathertight. For a pure street car a higher durometer solid rubber bushing is likely an excellent, perhaps cheaper, upgrade.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:59 AM   #29
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
To the heart of the matter, it is echoed in books like Herb Adams' Chassis Engineering. It's all about the bind, and to a much lesser degree the way it wears. WBT I bet your local library has a copy, it's a terrific book. That said, a poly with a steel insert that is greasable at the pivot point is different from a pure poly bushing.

IMO poly is a step between OE rubber and solid racecar type stuff. With the advent of solid stuff with delrin inserts for a street car you get much closer to the best of both worlds, without the inherent noise and wear issue of actual bearings that are not weathertight. For a pure street car a higher durometer solid rubber bushing is likely an excellent, perhaps cheaper, upgrade.
I own and have read that book. Very good but possibly dated in terms of technologies. The wearing/gel thing is what raised an eyebrow.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:11 PM   #30
BigAls87Z28

Yeah, I remember reading that when I was putting together the 72's suspension.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:50 PM   #31
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Over time and under constant pressure a poly bushing CAN cold flow, but it isnt something that you are going to notice in a few years.
I pulled the poly leaf pads out of the 73 a few weeks ago and they had cold flowed enough that they wouldnt go back in nice when I pulled the slapper bars off, I had to put the new ones in that I got with the "U" bolts for the rear.
Josh is completely correct though, for the money a stock rubber bushing isnt worth the time or effort when you can get new, stronger, longer lasting arms inexpensively. If someone is only daily driving a vehicle and doesnt care about performance at all that driver is NEVER going to notice the minimal amount of bind created by the stiffer poly bushing.

Hell I bought all the stuff and put my own LCA's together for around $125. They are on car adjustable and are infinately rebuildable, no brainer
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #32
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Is it worth it to replace the front lower/upper A arm bushings with Moog stuff if they are coming off anyway?
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:57 AM   #33
JSPERFORMANCE
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

Social Networks:

In my opinion.. No. But I like my cars to look as nice on the bottom as they do on the top.. Plus if its off already why not put something better back on?
Old 06-10-2010, 08:59 AM   #34
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPERFORMANCE View Post
In my opinion.. No. But I like my cars to look as nice on the bottom as they do on the top.. Plus if its off already why not put something better back on?
Just current budget issues, I'll do some more research.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech