Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > SEMA Action Network and Automotive Legislation

Notices

Old 02-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Driving Force - February 2012

DREAM IT. BUILD IT. DRIVE IT.

SEMA Action Network Braces for New Challenges. Are You In?
After several years serving my apprenticeship in the SEMA headquarters in California, I’ve just been handed the keys to the SEMA Action Network (SAN), a slick 15-year-old machine with a history of producing wide-ranging results. Its string of legislative victories makes the SAN the premier organization defending the rights of vehicle enthusiasts. So, how did I, Colby Martin, get so lucky?
A little bit about me first. For many of us, a passion developed from early exposure to the auto hobby. As a toddler, I was a regular at the drag races at Pomona, sprint races at Ascot and sand races on the dunes of Pismo Beach. As a California kid born and raised, these and other automotive experiences permanently etched an admiration for the hobby inside me. This automotive passion eventually propels involvement into one or many vehicle purchases. After witnessing the hot-rod antics in the film American Graffiti, classic cars have commanded my attention. I decided early on that obtaining the right chopped coupe would become one of my
life’s quests. The parts collection that would become my ’31 Ford Model A coupe began at age 18 with an original Ford axle that features dropped ends formed by hand. Each subsequent piece was acquired one-by-one to create a complete car. Countless hours of planning, buying, restoring, modifying and assembling have been spent on the coupe over the last decade. Although refinishing and final assembly are yet to come, it now resembles a functional vehicle.

The process of building a cohesive, effective network is much like the process of building a vehicle from scratch. First, dream it. Then build it. Finally, drive it.

Dream It
In 1997, the SAN was created as a nationwide partnership between enthusiasts, vehicle clubs and members of the automotive specialty parts industry who have joined forces to promote hobby-friendly legislation and oppose unfair laws. Folks into building, rebuilding and/or modifying vehicles are not always understood by the masses. Many government officials have shared the public’s misunderstanding and have reacted to the hobby accordingly. Such challenges are why groups such as the SAN are formed and continue to thrive. The goal, the dream really, was protect every niche of the automotive hobby against unfair laws and regulations.

Build It
Over the years, each member of the SAN leadership has contributed to the growth of this formidable network. We now have more than 60,000 North American members, car clubs, associations and media outlets with an estimated reach of 36 million enthusiasts. Victories have included new laws to enable street-rod and custom vehicle registration and titling, laws to protect inoperable vehicles awaiting restoration, laws to provide objective noise standards for aftermarket exhaust systems, laws to create responsible off-road recreation opportunities on public lands and laws to allow a range of vehicle equipment modifications.

Drive It
Where are we going to take this network now? First, we still need to gather more voices and continue to form a united message. A number of key states would benefit from a larger representation in our network. Our Canadian members need reinforcements also. Regardless of the automotive niche you’re into, every SAN member is counting on your voice. Help your fellow members out by responding to all legislation in your state. We can all pass along this great pastime to the generations that will follow us. You can also teach younger enthusiasts the importance of being aware and involved in the legislative process. Encourage them to join the SAN as it will ultimately help impact their hobby.
Based on the current economic and legislative environment, the road ahead will continue to be challenging. It is clear that our hobby needs the SAN now more than ever. All car clubs, automotive associations, media, museums, event promoters, businesses and other groups should contact us to help continue fighting the good fight. We can arm you with legislative updates, brochures, decals, articles and other deliverables for your mailings, website and other applications. Let’s drive this
network together!

CAUCUS CORNER

Each month, Driving Force features members of the State Automotive Enthusiast Leadership Caucus. The SEMA-supported caucus is a bipartisan group of state lawmakers, almost 525 members strong, whose common thread is a love and appreciation for automobiles.

Here are its newest members:

CALIFORNIA
Assemblywoman
Beth Gaines

NEW YORK
Assemblyman
Don Miller

WEST VIRGINIA
Delegate
Ray Canterbury

WEST VIRGINIA
Delegate
Mitch Carmichael

WEST VIRGINIA
Delegate
Walter E. Duke

WEST VIRGINIA
Delegate
Patrick Lane

WEST VIRGINIA
Delegate
Eric Nelson Jr.

WEST VIRGINIA
Delegate
Brian Savilla

WEST VIRGINIA
Delegate
Erikka Storch

WEST VIRGINIA
Delegate
Linda Sumner

SPOTLIGHT CANADA

Quebec Emissions Inspection Program: The province of Quebec, Canada, has drafted legislation to create a mandatory motor-vehicle inspection and maintenance program. Slated to begin in 2013, motorists would be required to undergo an emissions inspection as a condition for vehicle registration. According to the Ministry of Sustainable Development, Environment and Parks, the program is intended to follow the example of six other Canadian provinces and is expected to be implemented in phases: 1) All vehicles eight years and older will be required to pass inspection before being sold; 2) All vehicles eight years and older will be required to pass inspection regardless of whether or not they are being sold; 3) All vehicles (including new vehicles) will be required to pass inspection. According to the Ministry, the legislation is expected to be reviewed over the course of two years and language specifying the age limits of vehicles to be tested, including whether historic and collector vehicles would be exempted, are still under consideration. The SAN is working with representatives of the National Association of Automobile Clubs of Canada to ensure that the program makes reasonable accommodations for rarely used and well-maintained hobbyist cars.

SAN Sets July 13 as “Collector Car Appreciation Day”

Annual Event Acknowledges Importance of Collection and Restoration of Classic Cars

The SEMA Action Network (SAN) announced July 13, 2012 as “Collector Car Appreciation Day.” The date marks the third commemoration in what has become an annual event to raise awareness of the vital role automotive restoration and collection plays in American society. The SAN is again working to secure a congressional resolution to recognize the day’s significance.

In the previous two years, the U.S. Senate helped launch national Collector Car Appreciation Day by passing resolutions at the SAN’s request. As a result, thousands of Americans have gathered at car cruises, parades and other events to celebrate our nation’s automotive heritage. By taking part in these events around the country, these automotive enthusiasts and related businesses ensured that their passion was honored and recognized.

The SAN will maintain and publicize a list of scheduled events to commemorate America’s time-tested love affair with the automobile. Individuals, car clubs and business owners interested in publicizing events should contact SAN Director Colby Martin at 909-978-6721 or san@sema.org. If you are unable to celebrate on July 13, SAN encourages events to be scheduled throughout the month of July.

LEGISLATIVE QUICK HITS

Pennsylvania Street Rods: Legislation has been reintroduced in Pennsylvania to amend the definition of street rod to include materially altered vehicles 40 years and older. Currently, only vehicles of the ’48 model year or older (and reproductions of these vehicles) can qualify for this specialty designation. The bill has been referred to the House Transportation Committee for consideration.

Texas Street Rods/Custom Vehicles: The SAN issued comments to a Texas Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV)-proposed regulation implementing standards for the initial safety inspection of street rods and custom vehicles. The proposal was drafted pursuant to the enactment into law last year of SEMA-model legislation to create a vehicle registration classification for street rods and customs (including kit cars and replicas). Under the proposed regulation, the DMV will require an owner to provide proof of a safety inspection to the department on initial registration, including registration at the time of title transfer. In addition, the applicant must provide proof that a safety inspection was performed by an ASE Certified Master Automobile and Light Truck Technician. Further, the inspection must certify that the vehicle “is structurally stable” and “meets the necessary conditions to be operated safely on the roadway.” In its comments, the SAN recommended that these inspection opportunities be provided to any inspector that has met the applicable requirements and is licensed by the Department of Public Safety Motor Vehicle Inspection Office; further define the vague terms “is structurally stable” and “meets the necessary conditions to be operated safely on the roadway;” and standardize the fee charged for the inspection of these vehicles to conform to the fee charged for the inspection of vehicles subjected to yearly inspections ($14.50).

Bonneville Salt Flats: The SAN and the Save the Salt Coalition, a diverse group of racing enthusiast organizations, urged the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) to require a mandatory salt replenishment program of the Bonneville Salt Flats (BSF). For decades, the BSF has been shrinking as salt brine was transferred to an adjoiningmining operation to remove potash. A prototype program from 1997–2002 demonstrated that the remaining salt brine could be pumped back onto the salt flats to stabilize the landmark and its underlying aquifer. The BLM allowed the program to expire. The Coalition is working with the mine owner to reinstitute the program, subject to BLM’s approval. The Coalition will also be pursuing supplemental salt replenishment programs to be implemented by the racing community and the BLM. The BSF is a registered National Historic Place managed by the BLM. Hundreds of speed records have been set at this unique geological site over the past 100 years.

Ethanol Content in Gasoline: A SAN-supported bill has been introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives requiring the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to seek independent scientific analysis on the effects of 15%-blend ethanol gasoline (E15) on vehicles and engines. The review would include an evaluation of the short- and long-term environmental, safety and performance effects of E15 on both on- and off-road vehicle engines. Last January, the EPA decided to allow the use of E15 in vehicles manufactured after 2001 based solely on a limited study by the U.S. Department of Energy. (The decision is currently the subject of several lawsuits.) Ethanol increases water formation, which can then create formic acid and corrode metals, plastics and rubber. The SAN opposes the introduction of E15 due to concerns that corrosion will harm automobiles of all ages, including special-interest collector and historic vehicles. The EPA has no procedure in place to ensure that misfueling does not occur or any plan for ensuring regular gasoline continues to be available for older vehicles.

Forest Service Planning Rule: A U.S. House Natural Resources Subcommittee held an oversight hearing on the U.S. Forest Service’s draft rule for managing the country’s 193 million acres for national forests and grasslands. Previous versions of the “Planning Rule” have been rejected by the courts in recent years. The SAN has joined with a number of other organizations representing the off-road community in opposing the draft rule on grounds that it does not adequately protect access for motorized recreation and will be a source of ongoing litigation. Many Subcommittee members expressed concern that the proposed Planning Rule was too vague to prevent future lawsuits and incorporated undefined terms. Opponents fear the rule may be applied in a protectionist fashion rather than accommodating multiple-use activities. The Congressional panel urged the Forest Service to revise the Planning Rule so as to provide a clearer explanation of guidelines and to ensure a “full mix of recreational opportunities.”

Endangered Species Act (ESA): The U.S. House Natural Resources Committee held an oversight hearing on the ESA. A number of Committee members expressed concern about excessive lawsuits brought by environmental groups to enforce deadlines and force decisions on endangered species classifications. The groups have an incentive since they can recover a portion of their legal fees from a taxpayer-supported “judgment fund” when successful. The Committee’s action is likely the first in a series of hearings to begin crafting ESA reform legislation. The most recent congressional efforts to revise the ESA died in 2006. Enacted into law in 1973, there has been widespread agreement that the ESA needs to be updated. The law has favored a blanket approach of setting aside millions of acres rather than nurturing smaller recovery zones. During this time, the off-road community has been unnecessarily deprived of access to roads and trails while the sacrifice does not necessarily translate into better species protection. SAN-supported ESA reforms would seek to foster more cooperative efforts between the government, private landowners and conservation organizations so that federal dollars are spent on recovery rather than lawsuits.

February 2012 SAN CLUB EVENTS

Arizona

February 25, Scottsdale
Arizona All Oldsmobile Show
Sponsor: Oldsmobile Club of Arizona
Info: mr442olds@cox.net or 480-632-1843

California

February 11, Indian Wells
10th Annual Dr. George Car Show
Sponsor: Southern California Automobile Club
Info: www.palmspringscruisinassociation.com/index.htm or 760-360-9798

Florida

February 4, Naples
8th Annual Car and Truck Show
Sponsor: West Coast Muscle Car Club & Cool Cruisers
Info: www.westcoastmusclecarclub.com/annual_event.html

February 18, Sanford
20th Annual Wide Track Warriors Pontiac Show
Sponsor: Wide Track Warriors of Orlando
Info: info@orlandowtw.com or 407-788-1317

February 18, Orlando
25th Annual Mustang and Ford Roundup
Sponsor: Mid-Florida Mustang Club
Info: mfmcpres@gmail.com or 407-496-6410

February 25, Loxahatchee
Hawks Benefit Car Show
Sponsor: South East Rods & Customs
Info: bart_savino@me.com or 561-358-6456

February 26, St. Charles
21st Annual Buick Olds Pontiac
Cadillac-Only Swap Meet
Sponsor: Chicagoland Buick Olds Pontiac Clubs
Info: bncknot@sbcglobal.net or 815-838-7956

Kansas

February 3–4, Wichita
37th Annual Sunflower Swap Meet
Sponsor: Wichita A’s Model A Ford Club
Info: swapmeetsec@wichitaas.com or swapmeetchair@wichitaas.com

Kentucky

February 24–26, Louisville
Carl Casper Custom Auto Show
Sponsor: Carl Casper
Info: showcarsinc@bellsouth.net or 502-689-2034

Michigan

February 4–5, Kalamazoo
49th Annual Mid-Winter Swap Meet
Sponsor: Kalamazoo Antique Auto Restorers Club
Info: www.kaarc.org or 269-375-3669

New York

February 4, New York City
Automotive Literature Open House
Sponsor: Lambda Car Club International
Info: shays@nyc.rr.com or 212-228-1218

Ohio

February 12, Parma
Gillingham Performance Ford Swap Meet
Sponsor: Nifty Fifties Ford Club of Ohio
Info: 440-878-9759

South Dakota

February 17–19, Rapid City
13th Annual Counts of the Cobblestone Car Show
Sponsor: Counts of the Cobblestone Car Club
Info: chadraterman2000@yahoo.com or 605-515-0698

Tennessee

February 5, Nashville
AACA Annual Swap Meet
Sponsor: Stones River AACA
Info: stonesrivercarclub@gmail.com or 615-896-9560

February 19, Lebanon
AACA Second Annual Swap Meet
Sponsor: Mid-Tennessee Region AACA
Info: winterswapmeet@midtennaaca.org or 615-556-8160

Texas

February 11–12, Houston
34th Annual Corvette Chevy Expo
Sponsor: National Corvette Restorers Society
Info: info@corvettechevyexpo.com or 386-775-2512

February 24–26, Decatur
Decatur Swap Meet
Sponsor: Wise County Antique Auto Club
Info: swapmeet@wcaac.com or www.wcaac.com

HEY, THAT’S MY CAR!

Flinger’s Fateful Find

High School Love Found After 40 Years

1934 Ford Coupe
Owner: Denny “Flinger” Falschlehner, Tustin, California

I bought the coupe from a buddy at my school, Temple City High in Temple City, California. At that time it had a 303ci Oldsmobile engine adapted to a ’39 transmission. The engine was full of rainwater and the transmission was broken but the $100 price was right. We lifted the body off with the help of my dad, cleaned up the chassis and installed a ’54 324ci Olds engine, a B&M Hydro and an Olds rearend. After a lot of bodywork and blocking, the coupe was painted with three coats of Roman Red Lacquer. It cost $100 per coat at that time. I sold the coupe to the mayor of Temple City who bought it for his son. The $1,500 I got was “big money” in 1963.

The car disappeared until 2003 when my son Jimmy’s ’34 Ford truck got the cover of The Rodder’s Journal. The coupe was pictured in the article. Within a week, a fellow Temple City High graduate who knew where the car was stored contacted me. We recovered the coupe and began a full restoration that still has a ways to go before it’s finished. It’s now a “driver,” and I have the blown Olds motor I’ve always wanted.

CLUB SPOTLIGHT

Pony Up

Early Mustang Club Raffles ’85 Mustang GT for Charity

Kent Wooley from Arvada won a ’85 Mustang GT that was given away at the Rocky Mountain Rod & Custom Show. For the last three years, the Early Mustang Club of Colorado has raffled off a Mustang and donated the proceeds to various charities. This particular Mustang GT came equipped with a 347 stroker engine, five-speed manual transmission, Roush quick-change rearend and a modified suspension. Several factory options were still intact, including power windows and a sun roof. According to the club, the real attention grabber was the black-and-silver paint scheme.

The Early Mustang Charity Fund has been raising money for nearly 20 years. The flagship charity for the past three years has been The Freedom Alliance Scholarship Fund. It provides scholarships for children of soldiers who have been killed or disabled in battle. Freedom Alliance Events Manager Amy Amundson was in town to pull the winning ticket.
In fact, the Club has donated more than $80,000 to the Freedom Alliance Scholarship Fund and dozens of local charities that benefit the needy and disabled citizens of the Denver Metro Area. The Early Mustang Club would like to thank the business sponsors who helped with their generous donations of goods and services as well as all the individuals who have contributed to the causes that they support.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > SEMA Action Network and Automotive Legislation