Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 11-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
V
Stalker

Anyone ever work on trailer brakes?

I'm having an issue with my trailer brakes. One of the right side wheels, the rear one I think, locks up and makes noise when braking after longer trips(loaded trailer).

They are 10.00" electric drum brakes. I even set the controller to 10% when empty and it still locks them. When loaded with a car, I usually run the controller at 45-50% and it was fine but the last long trip I made, I noticed that when it would reach the set max, it would pull to the right side. So apparently regardless of the setting there is something locking up on the right.

Today I took the right side wheels off to try to investigate the issue. I had never dealt with brakes on trailers before so I was hoping I could just pull the drums off to inspect the shoes. Well now I know that the drums are actually the main part of the hub and its a whole unit bolted onto the spindle. I didn't want to go through the trouble to take it all apart so I didn't mess with it further. I DID notice that the rear right drum was hotter than the front drum. After I had looked at them for a few minutes, the front drum had cooled off yet the rear drum was still quite warm to the touch. I felt the drums on the left side and they were warm but close to the front right drum. Not as hot as the rear right drum. So I'm assuming that rear right is the one with the issue.

How serviceable are these electric brakes? can just the shoes or internal parts be replaced?

I found complete 10" main electric brake setups(no drums) for $99 a pair and new drums for $49 each. If I can be sure that the one wheel IS the problem, I'd just cut the wires for it temporarily until I can get a new setup for it or get it fixed. Keep in mind, I wouldn't tow a complete car on the trailer with that one brake not working but I'd still feel comfortable towing lighter loads with 3 working trailer brakes behind my diesel truck.

Last edited by V; 11-16-2012 at 08:45 AM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
Blacdout96

At NAPA, we have a catalog specially for electric trailer brakes, and it has an exploded view of the parts. Just try to find out who made the brake setup, it'll save you a ton of time. The only downside is 90% of the time, we have to order in the parts, but they are maybe a few days out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?

Last edited by Blacdout96; 11-16-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Featherburner

Just buy a new loaded backing plate and you're good to go! http://www.easternmarine.com/Electri...ke-Assemblies/

Last edited by Featherburner; 11-16-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Featherburner is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech