Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 04-29-2007, 11:25 AM   #1
jeff wilson
11 Second Club

panhard and lower control arm adjustment ??

should i go with the adjustable or non adj??? and whats the rule of adjustment street/race???
Old 04-29-2007, 12:32 PM   #2
Bandit
12 Second Club

did you lower your car? Is the RWHP above 420? If the answer is no to the above then there is no need for adjustables.

You need them if you lower your car an 1 inch or more
2001 10th Anniversary FireHawk #105 of 139

2002 Fbody Nats Elimination Winner
2004 SLP Day Fbody vs Mustang Winner
2006 HP Pontiac Show n Go Elimination Winner
2006 NJFBOA Fbody vs Mustang Eliminaton Winner (Mrs. Bandit driver)
Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
hardline_42

Adjustable LCA's and panhard bars are used to locate the rear both fore and aft and side to side on the vehicle. You usually only need it to make up for a change in vehicle height. You can use the adjustable LCA's together with an adj. torque arm to set pinion angle as well. If you plan to lower the car, you should also get LCA relocation brackets to keep the correct geometry.

'93 Z28 LT1 - Parting out

"Is that a rat? No, it's just a really fat mouse."

hardline_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:08 PM   #4
jeff wilson
11 Second Club

thanks for the replys..no, the car isnt lowered or making that kind of power. but i do have a traction problem w/ this 3200 converter. would using these two things help or a waste of money ?? thanks jeff
Old 04-29-2007, 03:17 PM   #5
Bandit
12 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff wilson View Post
thanks for the replys..no, the car isnt lowered or making that kind of power. but i do have a traction problem w/ this 3200 converter. would using these two things help or a waste of money ?? thanks jeff
You will always have that issue with street tires, I can roast off my Goodyear D3s if I want too. If you do gears, converter or both Kiss any traction you had goodbye unless you use a very soft sticky tire.
2001 10th Anniversary FireHawk #105 of 139

2002 Fbody Nats Elimination Winner
2004 SLP Day Fbody vs Mustang Winner
2006 HP Pontiac Show n Go Elimination Winner
2006 NJFBOA Fbody vs Mustang Eliminaton Winner (Mrs. Bandit driver)
Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:51 AM   #6
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

A torque arm and LCAs would be better than a panhard bar for straight line traction.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:54 PM   #7
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

I would suggest something like a rear support cover and sticky tires like Nittos DRs. They will give you better traction them stock tires, without killing the rear like a MT or other DR would and they will last a while too.

For the lower control arms, aftermarket could help with traction some, but it's not a cure. just adding them won't fix everything. A torque arm won't probably do the most good. But LCA are still a good upgrade. Unless you plan to run large slicks which would require the rear moved back 1/2" then none adjustable are fine.

For the Panhard, althought it probably adds nothing to traction, it will help center the rear which might be needed it you go with 11" rims/315 tires. If you have plans for a big exhaust ( 4" pipe ) in the furure then look at a Panhard what also has relocation brackets to clear the exhaust.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-bodySuspension.htm
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:00 PM   #8
ins0mnia24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampered-Z View Post
I would suggest something like a rear support cover and sticky tires like Nittos DRs. They will give you better traction them stock tires, without killing the rear like a MT or other DR would and they will last a while too.

Thats where I would spend my money 1st with that stall on hard compound street tires you won't have much traction regardless..
I would start with rear tires then build off of that then move on to the rest as needed
QTP Headers, Mufflex Stainless Y-pipe, Pypes Performance Exhaust, Moser 12-bolt w/ 33 spline axles,Truetrac & 3:73's., Spohn.
Cartek Tuned...

Last edited by ins0mnia24; 04-30-2007 at 01:00 PM.
ins0mnia24 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech