Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 08-07-2007, 11:12 PM   #1
Gio93z

Front End Lowering Dilemma

Hey everyone, how are you? I might have a problem, or I might not; that's why I need some input. My 93 Camaro has 90% of teh suspension done to it. K-member, upper/lower control arms, sway bars, etc etc. I have some Eibach springs in the car, for the second different time and, being I have a gfx kit on her, the front lip clearance used to be about 3" off the ground. Point being, as of now, it is definatly about double that, if not more. Also, my handling is good, but should be better. I'm trying to find out why. Something is preventing the front end from coming down the extra 3" or so that it should, and I feel that whatever the dilemma may be, may also be the reason why my handling isn't quite right. I also did the LS1 spindle/brake swap in the front. i don't recall when I noticed the appearnce/handling situation but I'm beginning to think that the LS1 spindle may be the problem. I want to measure it's overall length and see if it is taller than my 93 spindle. I think that the spindle isn't allowing the upper control arm/upper ball joint to come down far enough because the upper ball joint is cocked inward due to the different spindle. I have BMR suspension parts, fyi, and the only thing from the newer Camaro suspension is the spindle. If anyone has any input or needs more information please due ask. It is just so obvious that something is preventing my front end from lowering the amount that the 2 1/2-2 3/4" drop springs should lower her. I am using my front lip piece as well as my wheel well gap as reference points. Lip used to be about 3" off the floor and now it's at least double that and the tires used to tuck a bit and now there's about a 3 finger gap. Thanks everyone. Also, if you need to see the car and you are around, I'd love to talk more about it or even show you. Words can only help so much, I know.

Thanks, Giovanni
Old 08-08-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Any chance that you could pull one of both of the front wheels off for a few pics of the suspension?

Actually, getting a shot of it with the wheel on and the car on the ground might help more.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:45 PM   #3
Gio93z

hey - you know what i can do - i can take a few shots of underneath the car, i can also take some pics with the wheels on and with the wheels off....also, i have a few pics from awhile ago when the car was lowered the first time so u can see the appearance difference - you have an e-mail i can shoot the pics to? also, what i figured out, the 100lbs difference that has been nagated in the fornt end, via the suspension and AC and other things, is not the reason why it isnt lowering, because if i sit on the car it doesnt budge at all
Old 08-09-2007, 01:29 PM   #4
Gio93z

just did a quick measurement on the spindle lengths from ball joint to ball joint - they are roughly 17.5" in length. the 93 spindle and the 2000 spindle and the same length - they are slightly different where the ball joints slide through, but nothing that i would say would throw anything off - im going to work on some overall pics of the suspension - also, the lower control arms are adjustable: they have a hinde joint on the mounting point closer to the rear of the car - i dont recall measuring the original control arm and making the adjustable control the same length - i think we made it sort of close and just put it in - maybe that is part of my problem, esp in regards to alignment and that there is way positive, but equal on both sides, caster -
Old 08-11-2007, 08:39 PM   #5
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

If you can't host them and post them up here, send them to me at Tru2Chevy AT gmail DOT com

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech