Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 02-22-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
Foosh

Installed UMI LCA's & ADJ Panhard Bar & ZR-1 Rims

Well i decided to start with a few minor upgrades before jumping into lowering springs shocks and sway bars. I bought UMI on sale and shipped for 180, which i couldn't find a better price for these two products.

I installed from passenger side LCA, then the on car adj panhard bar, then finished with the drivers LCA.

Passenger LCA:
-came out easy, had completely shot stock bushings

Adj on car Panhard Bar:
-old one unbolted easy
-one of the bolts was finger tight and easily spun off
-had newer poly bushings, still good from what i can tell
-the new bar was a very tight fit and took some finessing to get bolted up

Driverside LCA:
-unbolted easy and dropped it immediately noticing it being almost twice the weight of the other
-it had two different poly bushings both shot to the point that they fell right out
-the bottom had a thick welded in plate accounting for the extra weight

Conclusion:
I was very surprised to find such shoddy work done to a car that previous owners had invested much time and money in.

ZR-1's:
Also the night before i picked up a set of old school ZR-1 Replicas, all 9.5 i'd assume since they have 275's all around. One tire is bad and has to get replaced, but i will most likely being doing a upgraded matching (currently Falkens) set i can hopefully find at e town swap meet soon enough. I got them way down in Williamstown area, and the guy who had them really didn't seem to know too much about what they were (replicas) and c4 zr-1's not c5 5 spokes. They were also very tarnished and had me worried about if they would polish up, needless to say with some of my marine grade metal and chrome polish, they shined up pretty nicely. Oh, and for the first time my powerball actually came in handy, polishing these by hand would have taken hours to do what this thing did in minutes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00569.jpg (83.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00570.jpg (82.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00580.jpg (83.2 KB, 15 views)
Foosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
KirkEvil
10 Second Club

Time for a spirited road test. you should check the adj panhard rod nut after you do some driving, and grease the poly bearings for longevity.

nice.
KirkEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:23 PM   #3
Foosh

Already hit them with the grease gun with marine grease (that's all i have because i do more work on my boats then cars), and its still in the garage barricaded in behind a huge mound of snow, plus i didn't have a big enough wrench to tighten it... so before i make it home next time I'll have to go get some bigger sizes.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
NastyEllEssWon

yeah the rear and all that jazz was installed by the previous owner before me. if you need to speak with him about any questions i still have his name on ls1tech, id have no problem hooking you up with him to figure anything else you had a problem with.

the lca's and panhard were on my list of things to do, but i needed the cash to pay out of my townhouse and get to a cheaper house. sucks too cause i really liked that car.
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
Foosh

eh, any work that was done wrong is reversible for the most par, suspension as you said needs upgrades anyways, so the only thing i'd really need from you or him is the info about the tune. overall, i think i got a decent starting platform and it will be a fun car to build up.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
NastyEllEssWon

yeah i talked to him about the tune when i had it. seems it was tuned by a local tuner down where i bought it from, st petersburg florida. ill try to get more info on it tonight. ill send him an email now.
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

boxing the lca's is a cheap way to stiffen them up. also, if you bought adjustable stuff, use blue loctite on the adjuster nuts.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:19 PM   #8
Foosh

the control arms aren't adjustable, just the panhard bar, but thanks i'll be sure to do that. And the guy only boxed one control arm... i understand the reason for boxing them, i'm no moron, but only one???
Old 02-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #9
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

hahaha yeah i dono bout that one.....maybe the old one broke and he got it from a friend or thats how he fixed it?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:50 PM   #10
Foosh

nah... its not too complicated man, it was just boxed and the bushings were mismatched and completely shot.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:13 PM   #11
chrisfrom nj

it looks great
chrisfrom nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:29 PM   #12
Foosh

thanks man... i'm planning on doing plenty more work under there, checking out all the other parts and evaluating them for replacement, as well as painting up some of the parts to make them look a bit less rusty

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech