Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 04-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
Mark42

Anyone install a poly torque arm bushing?

I have a poly torque arm bushing I want to install. Today while under the car, it looks like the OE bushing is showing wear, but it also looks like the bolts that hold the bushing housing in place are L-O-N-G and probably won't clear the trans hump to remove them. Is that right?

Anyone know if this bushing can be done without lowering the trans mount?

Can the busing be removed if only bolt #7 and nun #5 is removed?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TA Bushing.jpg (41.6 KB, 14 views)

1998 Firebird Coupe
Mods: 3.73 Gears, Eaton TrueTrac, PCM Tune, LS1 Aluminum Drive Shaft, Cold Air Intake, 180 Thermostat, Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, Moog LCA busings.

My Firebird Projects
: Click Here

Mark42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
//<86TA>\\
Power Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark42 View Post
I have a poly torque arm bushing I want to install. Today while under the car, it looks like the OE bushing is showing wear, but it also looks like the bolts that hold the bushing housing in place are L-O-N-G and probably won't clear the trans hump to remove them. Is that right?

Anyone know if this bushing can be done without lowering the trans mount?

Can the busing be removed if only bolt #7 and nun #5 is removed?

Thanks!
if you have the auto, you usually just pop the tail shaft off and swap the bushing on the bench. should only be 4 bolts and maybe one for the speed sensor.

or if you can remove the trans crossmember and lower the trans a bit, maybe it will clear the floor enoghu to get the bolts out?

Last edited by //<86TA>\\; 04-18-2010 at 07:00 PM.
//<86TA>\\ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #3
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Lowering the cross member should get the tail of the trans low enough that you can get those long bolts out (that's how I swapped the bushing and tq. arm in my 3rd gen). I can't say for sure in a 4th gen if you will be able to get those long bolts out with the trans in place.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
Mark42

I just read through the SI procedure again. Nowhere does it say to lower the trans, auto or manual to remove those bolts. If that was necessary, I'm pretty sure it would be in the procedure.

Next week I'll try to remove it and see how the job pans out.

Thanks for your input.

Mark

1998 Firebird Coupe
Mods: 3.73 Gears, Eaton TrueTrac, PCM Tune, LS1 Aluminum Drive Shaft, Cold Air Intake, 180 Thermostat, Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, Moog LCA busings.

My Firebird Projects

Old 04-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
creeper

on my car we couldn't get the bolts out. dropped the crossmember and did the trans mount at the same time so that was out of the way too. had to grind out the studs for the other side of the bushing under the car and then put the new one in. it was a PIA.

|2000 Trans Am|T56 swap|Bolt Ons| Suspension|
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:35 PM   #6
Mike
BadMod

i changed my tq arm (removed stock bushing and mount) without touching the transmission

you also may find the tq arm deflecting more with the stiffer front bushing, the stock tq arm is literally weak enough to flex by hand...... combining the solid mount on the rear and a stiffer poly mount on the front might cause some issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC

Last edited by Mike; 04-18-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:33 AM   #7
Slow-V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark42 View Post
I just read through the SI procedure again. Nowhere does it say to lower the trans, auto or manual to remove those bolts. If that was necessary, I'm pretty sure it would be in the procedure.

Next week I'll try to remove it and see how the job pans out.

Thanks for your input.

Mark
Not everything is in procedures! Some People who do this find it easier to drop the tranny a little to get the tq arm bracket apart! Thats what I did with both my V6 and my WS6. I would rather take the 5 mins to drop the Crossmember then sit there and struggle for an hour to get the bracket apart!
1998 Corvette Convertible, Vararam Intake+Power Duct, Fast 90/90, Ti Axleback..12.8@110
2003 Cobra Convertible 10th Anniversary
http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6
Local car cruise schedule..
http://www.cliffscalendar.com/

Last edited by Slow-V6; 04-24-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Slow-V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:17 AM   #8
Mark42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow-V6 View Post
Not everything is in procedures! Some People who do this find it easier to drop the tranny a little to get the tq arm bracket apart! Thats what I did with both my V6 and my WS6. I would rather take the 5 mins to drop the Crossmember then sit there and struggle for an hour to get the bracket apart!
Yes, you are right, not everything is in SI. What I was getting at is if the trans HAD to be lowered, it would be in SI. As it turns out, those two long bolts don't need to come out, just the nut and the bracket comes apart. It was not hard to do with the trans in place.

1998 Firebird Coupe

My Firebird Projects

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech