Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > SEMA Action Network and Automotive Legislation

Notices

Old 03-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #26
greenformula92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ss/rs View Post
I never mentioned a school bus which I think should be a 2000.00 fine and a loss of your DL for a year violating the flashing lights on the stopped bus. New Jersey Transit buses should not be allowed to pull away from the shoulder and pull out in front of another moving vehicle.
but if you look at NJ Transit busses they have a yield sign on them. so in theory it is a moving yield sign

2018 Silverado 1500
greenformula92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:34 AM   #27
2011ss/rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenformula92 View Post
but if you look at NJ Transit busses they have a yield sign on them. so in theory it is a moving yield sign
If you are in your car on the enterance ramp to the interstate you must yield or stop for the flow of moving traffic, moving traffic does not yield or stop to let you on the roadway.

Here is the law our state put into effect in 2004.

Home*>*NJ TRANSIT News*>*News Releases

NEW LAW TO REQUIRE MOTORISTS TO YIELD

Law Supports Safer Roadways
NEWARK, NJ, JULY 27, 2004 – New Jersey roadways will become a safer place on August 1, the date a new State law goes into effect requiring motorists to yield the right-of-way to buses re-entering traffic after picking up or discharging passengers.

The new law, which was sponsored by Assemblywoman Linda Stender, Assemblyman John S. Wisniewski, and Assemblyman Jack Connors, will require drivers of non-emergency vehicles approaching a NJ TRANSIT or private carrier bus to allow the bus back into the flow of traffic once the passenger stop is completed. New Jersey is one of the first states to pass this type of legislation. Similar laws have been passed in three other states: Florida, Washington and Oregon.

"One of the primary tasks Governor McGreevey assigned to us when he came into office was to improve safety throughout New Jersey's transportation system," said NJ TRANSIT Chairman and Transportation Commissioner Jack Lettiere. "The Governor's 'Safety-First' initiative has been a tremendous success, and this legislation is another step toward his goal of improving safety in all facets of transportation."

"Each year the number of commuters in New Jersey continues to grow, worsening congestion on our roadways,” Assemblywoman Stender said. “This bill will further our efforts to make mass transportation safer, more efficient and attractive to New Jersey residents."

"This new law is designed to increase the safety of our roadways and the efficiency of our mass transit," said Assemblyman Wisniewski. "By helping buses merge safely back into traffic after pulling into a bus stop, we can keep traffic moving while making the roads safer.

“The request for this legislation was brought to us by our members and we’d like to thank Assemblywoman Stender, Assemblyman Wisniewski and Assemblyman Jack Connors,” said Dan O’Connell, New Jersey State Legislative Director of the United Transportation Union. “New Jersey has some of the most congested highways in the nation. Our hope is this new law will make the workday for our members a little easier.”

“This is a great piece of legislation that not only provides good service for people who use public transportation but keeps our roads safe,” said Vito Forlenza, Chairman of the Amalgamated Transit Unions. “I commend the legislators involved in putting together this new law.”

More than 400,000 NJ TRANSIT customers travel by bus on an average weekday. The law applies to buses that are re-entering a traffic lane after a stop. Once a motorist has yielded to a bus and both vehicles are traveling along the roadway, a motorist does not have to yield further if a bus signals to change lanes. Violations carry a fine between $50 and $200, and a jail term of up to 15 days.

“This is a basic safety issue that we hope will reduce accidents,” said NJ TRANSIT Executive Director George Warrington. “We want to educate our customers about this new initiative and how it affects them not only as passengers, but also as motorists.”

Over the next several months, NJ TRANSIT will raise awareness of the new law by placing posters inside terminals, outside and inside buses, and mailing customers information with their monthly passes.

NJ TRANSIT is the nation's largest statewide public transportation system providing more than 752,600 daily trips on 240 bus routes, three light rail lines and 11 commuter rail lines. It is the third largest transit system in the country with 162 rail stations, 49 light rail stations and more than 17,000 bus stops linking major points in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia.
2011ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #28
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ss/rs View Post
If you are in your car on the enterance ramp to the interstate you must yield or stop for the flow of moving traffic, moving traffic does not yield or stop to let you on the roadway.
Yeah I know someone who thinks the opposite, its frustrating when people dont even know the law for the roads that they use every day. Thats mostly why "keep right except to pass" people piss me off
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #29
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.J.SLEEPER View Post
They just need to enforce it now..
This was my first thought. I am sure someone somewhere is patting themselves on the back for raising the fine and taking things "seriously" but I want to hear the stats on how many of these tickets are actually handed out.

Is this an actual attempt to get people to drive safely or just a way to preemptively scare people out of the cop lane so they can save gas by not breaking the cruise control and having to re-accelerate to 80mph?

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #30
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER View Post
but I want to hear the stats on how many of these tickets are actually handed out.
Really? It says right in the article.....
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #31
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

I mean at the new fines

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:50 PM   #32
L695speed

I drove out west on the 2 lane interstates for a few years while in college, I automatically stay right except to pass in most cases. Here with the multi lane arrangements I treat the middle lane or the one next to the left lane as the right lane and pass on the left when I need to. I cruise at 74 or so most of the time. But even then I get passed by people doing 80-90 or more. Seems with the two lane arrangements, and people actually obeying the keep right law, make cruising the interstates more pleasant. The thing that pisses me off is the people who fly by at 90+ then don't maintain the speed going up hill. I usually wind up passing people who blew my doors off on longer hill climbs, or any hill climbs for that matter doing my cruise speed because they can't maintain speed. In that case I wind up sitting in the left lane to pass everyone til the hill is over.

Seems as if the running joke here is, on I-80 the limit is 80, on the parkway its 110, on 24 its 75, and on the turnpike its 95, so on. And that is just to keep up with traffic. Its impossible to do the limit on 287 in the 55 MPH zones without getting run over. And that is not sitting in the left lane. I do wish they enforced the move over or slow down for emergency vehicles more often, as with the keep right cept to pass.

As much as I would love to see the Autobahn system occur here in the US, it will never happen because we're cheap bastards. No one here will go with paying the necessary up front costs to design an autobahn system. Even to convert our interstate system would cost billions, if not more, and no one will go with the costs. Not to mention the driver training system would need to be completely overhauled.
L695speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:52 PM   #33
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by L695speed View Post

As much as I would love to see the Autobahn system occur here in the US, it will never happen because we're cheap bastards. No one here will go with paying the necessary up front costs to design an autobahn system. Even to convert our interstate system would cost billions, if not more, and no one will go with the costs. Not to mention the driver training system would need to be completely overhauled.
QFT.

We can barely keep our ****** roads paved, let alone redone with 15' of gravel or whatever.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:08 PM   #34
8hnpSS

nothing is more annoying then rolling up on someone doing 50 in the fast lane. it happens to me all the time and usually ends with me flying by them with the horn on full. maybe thats why the horn in my yukon is weak now? lmao i would get half my body out of the window and cheer the first cop i see ticketing someone doing this

8hnpSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:26 AM   #35
creeper

this thread reminds me of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2pnPx8_9r8

|2000 Trans Am|T56 swap|Bolt Ons| Suspension|
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:42 AM   #36
shadowfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER View Post
This was my first thought. I am sure someone somewhere is patting themselves on the back for raising the fine and taking things "seriously" but I want to hear the stats on how many of these tickets are actually handed out.

Is this an actual attempt to get people to drive safely or just a way to preemptively scare people out of the cop lane so they can save gas by not breaking the cruise control and having to re-accelerate to 80mph?
both .. plus a way for them to make money for the gas they are trying to save
Old 04-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #37
L695speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
this thread reminds me of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2pnPx8_9r8
Seen this before. I bet now that person would have been hit with the fine as opposed to the cop playing sheepdog. Seeing that its on a hill I may also bet that this was another case of some moron flying by people at 100 then doing 45 up the hill.......
L695speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #38
98tadriver
10 Second Club; Has fan club

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
Let me rephrase that. If he is doing 65 in a 65 and passing slower cars on the right he is not breaking the law. If he is doing 65 in a 65 and not passing then that is not right.
i agree. I absolutely HATE when people do that *****! They must think its cute or funny to hold up traffic. Sometimes, I wish I could just ram them off of the road

2001 Corvette, Bolt ons , tuned 10.75@124.56 mph 1.38 60' Sold

1997 Saturn Sc1 5spd DOHC swapped
Bolt ons, decked head, stock intake cam on exhaust side, lotsa weight redux
13.22@102.32 mph 1.93 60'
12's on moda? One day
98tadriver is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > SEMA Action Network and Automotive Legislation