Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > SEMA Action Network and Automotive Legislation

Notices

Old 08-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Driving Force - August 2012

Click the following link to view this issue online with images or download the PDF file:
http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?content=sema-action-network-df-2012-08-toc&g=SEMAGA

“Historic” Win for Dream Cruisers

New Michigan Law Opens New Opportunities for Vintage Vehicles

Remember the days when roadways were jam-packed with cars sporting whitewalls, tailfins and chrome bumpers? It was a time when disc brakes, power windows and air conditioning weren’t standard equipment and rock bands sang about Little Deuce Coupes, GTOs and Hot Rod Lincolns. Well, welcome to Michigan in August!
In a day and time when miles per gallon often trump miles per hour in automotive conversation, the rules of the road generally aren’t intended to favor vintage vehicles. However, a new Michigan law not only benefits classics but encourages their use. Just in time for the famous Woodward Dream Cruise, Senate Bill 1146 will allow registered historic motor vehicles (more than 25 years old) unlimited use as “exhibition” vehicles the entire month of August each year. Sponsored in the legislature by Senator Mike Kowall, the bill was signed into law by Governor Rick Snyder. The new law providesMichigan historic vehicle owners the opportunity to enjoy recreational driving in the month of August in addition to the other sanctioned uses. By implication, the law also acknowledges the immeasurable time and money automotive hobbyists, especially historic vehicle owners, invest in their cars.
While, in recent times, some states have sought to restrict the usage of “historic” vehicles, toughen eligibility criteria and target old cars as a revenue source, Senator Kowall has stood up for them with this and other legislation. Kowall is a dyed-in-the-wool gearhead. Born into a family of automotive enthusiasts, he became disheartened by citations being issued to drivers of “historic” vehicles in his area. To combat this activity and help ensure another spectacular Dream Cruise, S.B. 1146 was introduced. Major groundwork for this bill had been laid by Senate Resolution No. 159 which commemorates August 2012 as Automotive Heritage Month in the state of Michigan, of which Kowall was also a sponsor.
Automotive enthusiasts everywhere can look to this law as another example of an informed state government working effectively on our behalf. Upon being introduced, S.B. 1146 moved through the Michigan state legislature with a speed akin to a racing vehicle hitting its top end. In one month’s time, the Senate Committee on Transportation (of which Kowall is vice chair) quickly passed the bill to the entire Senate, then the House Transportation Committee and full House of Representatives before reaching the governor’s desk.
Not only is Kowall a long-time member of the SAN-supported State Automotive Enthusiast Leadership Caucus, a bipartisan group comprised of state lawmakers whose common thread is a love and appreciation for automobiles, but his wife Eileen who serves in the Michigan House of Representatives is a member as well. Although she is not nearly the automotive aficionado that her husband is, Eileen helps maintain the couple’s own classic car collection. However, they are not the only partners to share membership in the caucus. Others include Senator Ted Gaines and Assemblymember Beth Gaines, both in the California legislature, as well as New Hampshire Senator Andy Sanborn and Representative Laurie Sanborn.
Credit for the victory of S.B. 1146 is owed in no small part to the passionate Michigan hobbyists who answered the call and participated in letting lawmakers know their feelings about this issue. We encourage SAN members to continue to make in-roads with legislators in their state so that the network can report more successes like this. “Spend eight hours getting to know your legislators, and follow their progress,” Kowall advises. “Offer your special car to them for a parade appearance. This small investment could pay off 10-fold!” Hobby-friendly lawmakers in your state, members of the State Automotive Enthusiast Leadership Caucus, can be found on the SAN website at www.semasan.com.

CAUCUS CORNER

Each month, Driving Force features members of the State Automotive Enthusiast Leadership Caucus. The SEMA-supported caucus is a bipartisan group of state lawmakers, almost 600 members strong, whose common thread is a love and appreciation for automobiles.
Here are its newest members:
Rhode Island
Senator Hanna M. Gallo
Rhode Island
Representative Daniel P. Gordon, Jr.
Visit www.semasan.com for a complete list of caucus members.

LEGISLATIVE QUICK HITS

Iowa Ethanol/Exhaust Noise/Historic Registration: SEMA-opposed legislation in Iowa to change requirements on gas pumps across the state to only require labeling for unblended gasoline and E85 officially died when the legislature adjourned for the year. Current law in Iowa requires labeling when gasoline is blended with any amount of ethanol. If the bill had been enacted into law, it would have removed labeling requirements for ethanol-blended gasoline containing 15% or less ethanol, thereby increasing the risk of misfueling and potential engine damage. In addition, SEMA-model legislation that would have allowed Iowa’s vehicle hobbyists to install and use aftermarket modified exhaust systems that meet a 95-decibel limit was not given committee consideration before the legislature adjourned for the year. Similarly, a bill to allow any vehicle that is 25 years old or older and used only for exhibition, entertainment or educational purposes to be registered for a minimal annual $5 fee was also not given consideration.
New York Hobbyist Bills: At adjournment of this year’s legislative session, the New York State Legislature failed to complete action on a series of bills that would have had an impact on the automotive hobby. Among these bills are measures to allow historical vehicle owners to only pay a one-time registration fee of $100 upon initial registration; SEMA-model legislation to create a vehicle titling and registration classification for street rods and custom vehicles; legislation to provide for the issuance of special historic vehicle plates to be issued to owners for display on a trailer towing the historic vehicle; and a SAN-opposed bill to establish a progressive purchase surcharge for some new motor vehicles based on state calculations of carbon emissions.

States, Province Celebrate the Hobby

New York, West Virginia, Idaho and Manitoba Join New Mexico and Hawaii in Recognizing Collector Car Appreciation Day

Thanks to the efforts of Assemblyman Bill Reilich, the New York State Assembly issued a resolution memorializing Governor Andrew Cuomo to proclaim July 13, 2012, as Collector Car Appreciation Day in the state. In West Virginia, at the request of Delegate Gary Howell, Governor Earl Ray Tomblin issued a proclamation recognizing the occasion, while Idaho Governor Butch Otter did the same in his state at the request of organizers of Northwest Motorfest. New York, West Virginia and Idaho joined New Mexico and Hawaii as states that officially acknowledged the celebration. In Canada, the Manitoba Minister of Culture, Heritage and Tourism issued a proclamation designating Collector Car Appreciation Day in the province thanks to the efforts of the Manitoba Association of Auto Clubs. The minister also proclaimed the month of July 2012 to be Collector Car Appreciation Month. Earlier this year, the U.S. Senate passed Senate Resolution 452 at the SAN’s request to mark the day’s significance in raising awareness of the vital role automotive restoration and collection plays in American society. The date marked the third commemoration in what has become an annual event.

Web Wisdom

Tag and Title Toolbox: The One-Stop Shop for Everything You Need to Register and Title Your Hobby Car

On behalf of hobbyists nationwide, the SEMA Action Network (SAN) maintains a compilation of state laws and regulations governing specialty motor vehicles. The compilation is a one-stop shop for state resources listing each state’s specialty vehicle definitions, registration and titling provisions; inspection criteria; and other requirements and exemptions. Known as the Tag & Title Toolbox, the compilation also includes key administrative forms that can be printed for titling and registering specialty vehicles at DMVs nationwide.
The term “specialty vehicle” includes the following vehicle classes: ancient, antique, assembled, classic, collectible, collector, custom, exhibition, historic, homemade, horseless carriage, kit, modified, parade, parts, rebuilt, reconstructed, replica, show, special interest, specially constructed, street cruiser, street rod and vintage. Given that a uniform system for defining such specialty vehicles does not exist among the states, applicable definitions for each state are listed separately at the beginning of each state’s document to clarify the language in the statutes and regulations.
The information is current for 2012 but subject to change in the future. The SAN advises hobbyists to also directly consult the statutes and regulations for states of interest to ensure the accuracy of the information. Visit the Tag & Title Toolbox here: www.SEMAsan.com/TagAndTitle.

AUGUST 2012 SAN CLUB EVENTS

ALASKA
August 9, Anchorage
Cruise Night
Sponsor: Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Info: www.MidnightSunSRA.org or 907-337-5860
CALIFORNIA
August 9–12, Truckee
Sierra Trek
Sponsor: California Association of 4WD Clubs
Info: www.cal4wheel.com
August 19, Chico
42nd Annual Chico Swap Meet
Sponsor: North Valley Unique Car Club
Info: 530-871-0950 or 530-519-8908
August 24–26, Pleasanton
26th Annual West Coast Nationals
Sponsor: Goodguys Rod & Custom Association
Info: 925-838-9876
August 29, Sonoma
Wednesday Night Drags
Sponsor: STP
Info: 800-870-7223 x209
FLORIDA
August 25, Palatka
Dancing in the Street Monthly Cruise In
Sponsor: Azalea City Cruisers
Info: www.azaleacitycruisers.com
GEORGIA
August 9–11, Hiawassee
Georgia Mountain Moonshine Cruize-In
Sponsor: Georgia Street Rod Association
Info: www.gammoonshinecruizin.com or 669-587-9572
ILLINOIS
August 3–5, Freeport
Henney Homecoming
Sponsor: Professional Car Society Henney Chapter and Stephenson County Historical Society
Info: 815-369-2955 or www.thefreeportshow.com
August 5, Elk Grove Village
NMC Car Show
Sponsor: Northern Mustang Corral
Info: 708-704-4752
August 25, Chicago
Chicago Gearheads Drag Day at Union Cove
Sponsor: Chicago Gearheads
Info: 630-917-2928
August 25, Urbana
ICCC Motor Muster at Urbana Sweetcorn Festival
Sponsor: Illini Collector Car Club
Info: www.illinicollectorcarclub.com
KENTUCKY
August 2–5, Louisville
43rd Annual Street Rod Nationals
Sponsor: National Street Rod Association
Info: www.nsra-usa.com/Events/default.asp
August 11, Bowling Green
5th Kentucky Motorsports Hall of Fame Inductions and Cruises at the National Corvette Museum
Sponsor: Kentucky Motorsports Hall of Fame
Info: 502-937-9781
MAINE
August 17–19, Herron
40th Annual Downeast Street Rods Run
Sponsor: Massachusetts Street Rod Association
Info: www.downeaststreetrodclub.com
MASSACHUSETTS
August 25, Southborough
Cadillac Day
Sponsor: New England Region Cadillac &Lasalle Club
Info: info@nerclc.com
NEW MEXICO
August 12, Albuquerque
Cruise and Picnic
Sponsor: New Mexico Roadrunner Chapter-Volvo Club of America
Info: gayleeni@valornet.com
August 25, Albuquerque
2012 Mopar Challenge Series–4th Race
Sponsor: Mopar Muscle Club of NM
Info: www.moparclub.com or 505-896-8115
NEW YORK
August 5, Rochester NY
52nd Annual Genesee Valley Antique Car Show
Sponsor: Genesee Valley Antique Car Club
Info: www.GVACS.com
August 26, Syracuse
New York State Fair Car Show
Sponsor: Central New York Car ClubAssociation
Info: www.CNYCCA.org
OHIO
August 3–4, Strongsville
ACES Northern Regional Chevelle show
Sponsor: Northern Ohio Chevelle Club
Info: www.northernohiochevelleclub.com
PENNSYLVANIA
August 3–5, Macungie
49th Annual Das AwkschtFescht
Sponsor: Northeast Chapter of the Professional Car Society
Info: www.awkscht.com or 610-967-2317
August 19, Hershey
24th Anniversary Summer Antique and Classic Car Show
Sponsor: Tall Cedars of Lebanon, Harrisburg Forest #43 – Special Interest Auto Unit
Info: 717-469-0065
August 24–26, Lehigh Valley
2012 Rod Run
Sponsor: Wheels of Time Street Rod Association
Info: wotkate@entermail.net
UTAH
August 11–17, Wendover
Bonneville Speed Week
Sponsor: Southern California Timing Association
Info: 559-528-6279
VIRGINIA
August 19, Winchester
Autocross
Sponsor: Greater Washington Section Mercedes-Benz Club of America
Info: Mike Wirt, 443-463-8965
WASHINGTON
August 17–19, Spokane
11th Great Northwest Nationals
Sponsor: Goodguys Rod & Custom Association
Info: 323-225-8043
WISCONSIN
August 18, East Troy
WEM Cruise Nite to Gus’s Drive-In in East Troy
Sponsor: Wisconsin Early Mustangers
Info: troyers@sbcglobal.net
August 25, New Berlin
Touch of Glass Corvette Concours& People’s Choice
Sponsor: Wisconsin Corvette Club
Info: ecassel@wi.rr.com or 414-421-6493

HEY, THAT’S MY CAR!

Driving and Defending History

Historic Vehicle Owner Protects His Automotive Passion

1931 Ford Model A Town Sedan
Owner: Jonathan Miller, Woodbine, Maryland
After searching for almost two years and traveling all over the United States, I eventually found my Ford in December of 2011. The vehicle was less than three hours away from my home. One day I was looking for cars online and there was an ad with pictures of the car posted by the seller’s grandson. I turned out to be the first caller and took a friend, a Model A expert, with me the next day to inspect the car. The car was in better condition than the photos suggested, having been restored in 2008 and driven about 7,000 miles since the restoration. I was thoroughly impressed. Although I knew the brake system would need to be rebuilt, I bought it on the spot since it was the exact car I had been looking for. Using my pickup and a rented trailer, I brought my Town Sedan home the next weekend. I spent the winter rebuilding the entire brake system in my home garage, learning as I went, and switched to cast iron brake drums that work great. Not built as a trailer queen, my Model A is an outstanding driver and performs just like it should. I consider myself not only the owner, but the life-long custodian of this fine automobile and intend to keep it running as Henry Ford designed it. I love it!
Earlier this year, I had the chance to defend my rights as a “historic” vehicle owner in Maryland. I was attending one of our Greater Baltimore Model A Ford Club meetings when the topic of H.B. 550 came up (see “A Sunday Drive” in the April 2012 issue of Driving Force). I had no idea that my state was seeking to place new restrictions on vintage vehicles like mine. Along with many other hobbyists in the state, I went on an immediate personal letter writing campaign. A friend in the club told me that the SEMA Action Network (SAN) was leading this effort, so I signed up. Now, I will know about legislation like this earlier and will be able to help our community’s effort from the beginning.
Have your car or truck featured in a future issue of Driving Force. Submit your high-resolution photos online at www.semasan.com.

CLUB SPOTLIGHT

Winning Formula

A Student of Science and Automobiles Recognized by the Indiana SAAC

After 35 years, the Indiana Region of the Shelby American Automobile Club (SAAC) had long desired “to find an opportunity to give back to our young people.” This year, the club’s dream became reality as Benjamin Kasting of Ft. Wayne, Indiana, became the first award winner of the Indiana SAAC Merit Scholarship Program. Kasting, a chemistry and music major entering Ohio Northern University, was recognized at the 35th Anniversary Shelby Spring Fling Banquet. For his efforts, which included an impressive high school grade-point average and outstanding essay highlighting his well-rounded skill sets, Ben will receive a $500 prize toward his freshman tuition.
As a regional car club whose membership is spread across about a dozen states, the Spring Fling is one of the few opportunities during the year for club members to spend time together as a whole. The annual gathering, which began in 1978, has become a chance to visit and reconnect with friends. Thus, the event has become as much a “family reunion” as much as a car show.
Upon completion of last year’s event, the Indiana SAAC volunteer committee discussed how to invest in the club’s future. With such strong roots in the “family” concept, the idea of rewarding young talent within the group developed quickly into an annual Indiana SAAC Merit Scholarship. The scholarship is open to members, their children and grandchildren who are college-bound and are directing their careers toward automotive-related fields. The award is based on academic achievement, community involvement and requires a written essay and three letters of recommendation.
The Indiana SAAC believes car clubs are a means to extend one’s family: “Treat the members as such and a club will be self-sustaining for generations.” This goal has certainly been reinforced by the creation of the scholarship. The SAN applauds this effort.

Put SAN on Your Mailing List!

We’d like to know what’s going on with SEMA Action Network clubs and enthusiasts across the country; what charity events you’re involved in; when and where the rod runs, car shows, trail rides, rallies and tech meetings are held; and what legislative and regulatory issues concern club members and individual enthusiasts.
One of the best ways to keep us abreast of what’s going on and what’s important to the vehicle hobbies nationwide is for us to receive your club newsletters and updates. Please consider placing SEMA on your mailing list. Send correspondence to: SEMA Action Network, 1317 F St., N.W., Ste. 500, Washington, D.C. 20004-1105 or san@sema.org.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > SEMA Action Network and Automotive Legislation