Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 11-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #26
86blackbetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacdout96 View Post
Before you put it in drive, did you torque the lug nuts down to proper spec? Only way your axle would move far is if your c clip went bad, or a bearing went bad. If the face of the axle went bad, well that would be first I've head, but if the rear axle hit a curb by sliding into it, I guess it would be possible. Take the rotor off, and clean any rust, or crap built up on it, also check to see if the rotor isn't out of round, I wouldn't be suprised if the advance auto rotors were bad, especially if they stocked them on the shelve on their sides instead of laying flat.
Quote:
Before you put it in drive, did you torque the lug nuts down to proper spec? Only way your axle would move far is if your c clip went bad, or a bearing went bad. If the face of the axle went bad, well that would be first I've head, but if the rear axle hit a curb by sliding into it, I guess it would be possible. Take the rotor off, and clean any rust, or crap built up on it, also check to see if the rotor isn't out of round, I wouldn't be suprised if the advance auto rotors were bad, especially if they stocked them on the shelve on their sides instead of laying flat.
No i did not torque down the lug nuts. on either side. Just tightened them up.

I did get hit in the rear about 4 months ago. my dad back up into the car pulling out of the driveway hitting it in the far left quarter panel. Maybe this was enough the bend the Axle Shaft ?

i read that the borg warner 9 bolts dont have c clips.

""All 9 bolt rears for f-bodies use 28 spline axles.
Another advantage over the 10 bolt is it uses pressed on tapered axle bearings allowing the axles to be bolted in instead of using c-clips.""

So if its not the c clips it would be the Shaft Bearing im guessing (# 3 on this link in the diagram ) ?

http://www.newgmparts.com/parts/1989...diagram=MHP100

I dont want to replace the Axle Shaft if its just the Shaft Bearing.

So a Bad Shaft bearing would cause this very noticeable wobble ? ?

another question...if i do end up replacing the Shaft Bearing or the Axle Shaft..im guessing i would need to purchase new Axle Seals ? ?

How hard of a job is this ?

By the way thanks for all the help and info Blacdout.. i really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
Swap the rotors side to side and see if the problem stays or follows.
We tried this to check it if it was the rotors and its still only the left side that does this.
86blackbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #27
Blacdout96

If a bearing went bad, you would know, believe me lol, there would most likely be a vibration and/or grinding noise coming from the rear. Thats a nice advantage having pressed in bearings compared to c clips in a performance aspect. I don't like having c clips, and one day im going to get an Eliminator kit.. Define "tightened them up", did you just hand tighten the lug nuts on? I did that before, its not enough, they need to be torqued properly to clamp the rotor to the axle correctly. Also, as the other person said, swap the rotors, see if it does it wobbles on the other side. If it continues to wobble on the one same side still, then it may be a drive train issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?

Last edited by Blacdout96; 11-23-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #28
86blackbetty

Quote:
If a bearing went bad, you would know, believe me lol, there would most likely be a vibration and/or grinding noise coming from the rear. Thats a nice advantage having pressed in bearings compared to c clips in a performance aspect. I don't like having c clips, and one day im going to get an Eliminator kit.. Define "tightened them up", did you just hand tighten the lug nuts on? I did that before, its not enough, they need to be torqued properly to clamp the rotor to the axle correctly. Also, as the other person said, swap the rotors, see if it does it wobbles on the other side. If it continues to wobble on the one same side still, then it may be a drive train issue.
no i used a air gunto tighten them up....yea i dont think its a bearing....the rear just squeaks from the rotor wobbling and hitting the pads

The rotors dont move when i grab them n try to shake them....only moves when its spinning

Last edited by 86blackbetty; 11-23-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:16 AM   #29
86blackbetty

THIS video is exactly how my car sounds and looks ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vame1AE7eOg

So my axle flange is bent ..and not the actual axle shaft? changing the whole actual shaft will fix this i imagine...any other simplier fixes?
Old 11-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #30
jam01

emergency brake possibly making the noise.
jam01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #31
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

It sounds like you have several issues. The wrong rotors which you already identified, the bent axle flange, possibly a bad caliper and probably the wrong master cylinder for 4WDB. My old 68 Camaro had a bent axle flange which would cause the brake rotor/wheel to wobble. It was a non posi so it was easy to replace the axle. A lot of GM rear calipers are supposed to float and over time, all the dirt and moisture get in and they stop floating. It sounds like your left caliper needs a rebuild or replacement. My Silverado had bad rear calipers so I just got rebuilt ones from NAPA. I bet they can be rebuilt pretty easily, but if there is serious corrosion then it's probably better to get rebuilt ones. The bent axle flange can destroy the pads and probably warp the rotor pretty quickly so you should look into fixing that first.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #32
86blackbetty

thanks guys...anyone know where i can order a new axle from? for a 89 9 bolt borg warner.....all 85-89 cars with the BW 9 bolt are the same?
85-89 9 bolts are 7.75 and 10 bolts are 7.65 ?

Last edited by 86blackbetty; 11-24-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:30 AM   #33
Blacdout96

EBay you could try, or Craigslist, also go to a local pick n pull. We have one here near me, and every once in a while I see 9 bolts in there. Costs a whopping dollar to get in lol.

Quote:
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #34
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Polar bear has a bunch of 9-bolt parts.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #35
86blackbetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Polar bear has a bunch of 9-bolt parts.
thanks bonzo ill send him a PM
Old 11-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #36
BigAls87Z28

Good luck trying to find parts for a 9 bolt rear. Best bet is either to find another 3rd gen rear or to go to a 4th gen rear, but a 4th gen rear leads to wrong wheel offset.

If the axle or axle flange is bent, the wheel will wobble as well so check that as well. I had a bent axle on my pass. side and while you couldn't feel it in the car, you could see it when driving behind.

You say the bolt is hitting the rotor, where is it hitting the rotor? Did you ever swap the rotors out for the right ones?
Old 11-29-2012, 02:19 AM   #37
86blackbetty

Quote:
Good luck trying to find parts for a 9 bolt rear. Best bet is either to find another 3rd gen rear or to go to a 4th gen rear, but a 4th gen rear leads to wrong wheel offset.

If the axle or axle flange is bent, the wheel will wobble as well so check that as well. I had a bent axle on my pass. side and while you couldn't feel it in the car, you could see it when driving behind.

You say the bolt is hitting the rotor, where is it hitting the rotor? Did you ever swap the rotors out for the right ones?
Thanks im trying....yes i had them replaced for the correct ones
Old 11-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #38
BigAls87Z28

Okay, so the bolt no longer hits? Do you have the old rotors? Check for wear patterns on that one to see if maybe there was a noise, but due to time and what not, it was worn down.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech