Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #26
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Huryk View Post
It's just a caliper and bracket change - calipers are relatively inexpensive.

They look cool, but they do offer 2x the brake pistons - so it should be an excellent upgrade from the 10.5" iron wonders.
I already have the C4 HD brakes, but I have the regular two piston calipers.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:19 AM   #27
Paul Huryk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
I already have the C4 HD brakes, but I have the regular two piston calipers.
C4 HD brakes are 2 piston...
Old 01-31-2013, 11:56 AM   #28
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Yeah, I thought Al's comment was a little odd, but I think he was confused when you spoke about your swap. You said you were using the C4 HD ROTOR, I think he read you were using 4 piston C4 HD calipers
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #29
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
Yeah, I thought Al's comment was a little odd, but I think he was confused when you spoke about your swap. You said you were using the C4 HD ROTOR, I think he read you were using 4 piston C4 HD calipers
No, that's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying it's cool that he has what appears to be a 4 piston caliper with his C4 HD brake kit.
I have just the C4 HD brakes without the cool 4 piston caliper.
I would like to go with a 4 piston caliper for the fact that it looks cool and that 4 > 2

That is all.

Last edited by BigAls87Z28; 02-06-2013 at 11:51 AM.
BigAls87Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #30
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
No, that's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying it's cool that he has what appears to be a 4 piston caliper with his C4 HD brake kit.
I have just the C4 HD brakes without the cool 4 piston caliper.
That IS my point, there is no C4 HD brake setup with a 4 piston caliper. The vettes only got 2 piston PBR calipers. Paul is just using the C4 HD rotor with (essentially) custom brackets and Wilwood calipers because that was how it was specified. Theoretically it could use a different rotor.
SO yes, you do have a C4 HD kit, you would need a different bracket to run that caliper on your car, but Pauls isnt really a C4 HD kit since it uses two different components out of the three.

I have a 4 piston Wilwood setup from Ebmiller that uses a 12" rotor from a vette, does that mean I too have a C4 HD brake kit?

I know, I know, semantics...... and you're probably goign to call Bear a name after you read this
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #31
Paul Huryk

Quote:
That IS my point, there is no C4 HD brake setup with a 4 piston caliper. The vettes only got 2 piston PBR calipers. Paul is just using the C4 HD rotor with (essentially) custom brackets and Wilwood calipers because that was how it was specified. Theoretically it could use a different rotor.
SO yes, you do have a C4 HD kit, you would need a different bracket to run that caliper on your car, but Pauls isnt really a C4 HD kit since it uses two different components out of the three.

I have a 4 piston Wilwood setup from Ebmiller that uses a 12" rotor from a vette, does that mean I too have a C4 HD brake kit?

I know, I know, semantics...... and you're probably goign to call Bear a name after you read this
LOL - I'm not going to call Bear a name.

I actually have a Baer (no relation to Bear) 13" track kit on my Camaro - which uses all C4 HD parts with their hub and bracket.

The Wilwood kit uses the C4 HD rotor with an aftermarket caliper (Wilwood FSL) and an aftermarket bracket. Is it a real C4 HD system - no, not really. Is it a system that uses the same exact rotor size and can be swapped to a C4 HD system in about 5 minutes with new calipers and brackets.

So think of it as an upgraded C4 HD system with a 4 piston caliper upgrade if you like. And you can't run 100% C4 HD parts anyway as no OEM caliper bracket (that I'm aware of) makes it all work.

Can we get into what constitutes a TPI induction system next? J/K
Old 02-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #32
BigAls87Z28

Quote:

I misread. I know that the C4 HD, or any factory C4, comes with a 4 piston caliper.
I have the brakes. I know.
I thought he said he has the C4 HD brakes with the Wilwood calipers, and then he said it's just a few brackets and bolts away from swapping it in. If that was the case, I would be interested, but it seems it's way more involved than this.

I wasn't calling his kit a C4 HD brake kit.

Last edited by BigAls87Z28; 02-06-2013 at 09:18 PM.
BigAls87Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #33
townsend

let us know how that global west torque arm works im interested in one of them, have heard both good and bad reviews about them.

2021 Charger Scat

Wrench/driver 94 Camaro Ellwein 385/D1SC/CPT 4l60e/9" slow pile
townsend is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech