Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 07:52 AM   #26
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320B4U View Post
Then as a consumer you would sue the company of the fake 'dot' approved taillights b/c they mislead the consumer/dubious business practices. If it is stamped w/dot and there is paperwork stating this (directions stamped w/dot approval) this would hold up in court. In getting dot approval there should be rigorous tests done to be certified which are available in writing for that specific unit, although you winning that case will be directly related to how much $ you have on fighting this to the end.

Either way if you have something that isn't 100% stock on a vehicle be prepared to potentially be harassed. Its just an opportunity for law enforcement to pull you over. Being polite and courteous goes a long way when talking to the cop.
Should there be rigorous tests etc? Yes. Is there? No.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:55 AM   #27
Mike
BadMod

There is usually a nice "not for street use" somewhere on/in the packaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Old 04-15-2014, 08:28 AM   #28
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

You mean like my Hoosier DOT drag radials?
Old 04-15-2014, 08:33 AM   #29
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
So if I make tail lights for my car and put a raised DOT stamp on it, everything is cool? Please, there is no mountain of cases. If someone rear ends me in my camaro with oem tail lights that I tinted, I am ****ed. Anyone can manufacture anything with a DOT marking on them. Its in good faith that it actually does meet DOT criteria. A good blood sucking team of lawyers will destroy you. If the stuff does meet the criteria, then yes you are ok. Assuming everything you buy is DOT approved is not in your best interest.
Nailed it.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #30
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Quote:
You mean like my Hoosier DOT drag radials?
DOT approval for racing classes != DOT approval for highway use.

Says right on the disclaimer.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:38 AM   #31
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
DOT approval for racing classes != DOT approval for highway use.

Says right on the disclaimer.
Right but it says DOT approved which means its for highway use. Then there are tires that would be DOT approved but wouldn't meet the minimum tread depth or barely would when new. Please, we all know we aren't complying with jack so don't act like you are. That's been my point. That and you are effed if something happens and someone has a good lawyer(s) or insurance.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:57 AM   #32
LTb1ow

Quote:
Right but it says DOT approved which means its for highway use. Then there are tires that would be DOT approved but wouldn't meet the minimum tread depth or barely would when new. Please, we all know we aren't complying with jack so don't act like you are. That's been my point. That and you are effed if something happens and someone has a good lawyer(s) or insurance.
...wut...

It means its DOT approved for class racing.

Right from their site..

"WARNING: DOT labeled Hoosier Racing Tires meet Department Of Transportation requirements for marking and performance only and are NOT INTENDED FOR HIGHWAY USE. It is unsafe to operate any Hoosier Racing Tire including DOT tires on public roads. The prohibited use of Hoosier Racing Tires on public roadways may result in loss of traction, unexpected loss of vehicle control, or sudden loss of tire pressure, resulting in a vehicle crash and possible injury or death. "

Old 04-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #33
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Right, DOT approved but not for the highway. So if you didn't seek out this info, you wouldn't know. So what is stopping other companies from making other products with this same misconception?
Old 04-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #34
LTb1ow

Quote:
Right, DOT approved but not for the highway. So if you didn't seek out this info, you wouldn't know. So what is stopping other companies from making other products with this same misconception?
Nothing, but it is up to the consumer to understand the small print.

Personal responsibility, eh?
Old 04-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #35
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Nothing, but it is up to the consumer to understand the small print.

Personal responsibility, eh?
Yes, unlike most of the misinformation in this thread. And that personal responsibility can turn into a huge lawsuit that your insurance company won't cover or will exceed your policy limits which then puts the rest on you. That is the small grasp I have on the subject. So as I have said, DOT is just 3 raised letters that mean nothing.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #36
LTb1ow

Would be curious if having an accident with a car with a bar in it would negate insurance covering any injuries received.

Can insurance companies do such things?
Old 04-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #37
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Would be curious if having an accident with a car with a bar in it would negate insurance covering any injuries received.

You give them any reason to deny a claim so they can save a buck and they will fully exploit it. There is more to it but I certainly wouldn't bank on things being in your favor.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #38
WildBillyT

Quote:

Yes. Same with injuries using a 5 pt on the street.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:28 PM   #39
BonzoHansen
Admin.

there are DOI laws that might stop them from denying a claim in such circumstances, but it could lead to policy cancellation. however I am not well versed in auto laws.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 04-15-2014, 05:08 PM   #40
1994lt1

Quote:
...So as I have said, DOT is just 3 raised letters that mean nothing.
I'm pretty sure they mean Department Of Transportation.

I for one think the police are doing an excellent job and should get a raise.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:11 PM   #41
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994lt1 View Post
I'm pretty sure they mean Department Of Transportation.

I for one think the police are doing an excellent job and should get a raise.
I believe he means in a legal sense. You can mark anything with a DOT stamp, that doesn't make it legal. The "good" knockoff/aftermarket companies in Taiwan and China have been known to duplicate products right down to markings and logos. As an example, ungraded bolts with a "line and triangle logo" on them have been known to hit the market.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #42
1994lt1

My bad the entire post was sarcastic. Anyway as a LEO we do deal with these issues frequently, especially with the Honda crowd. They think because the eBay listing stated "50 State Legal" and "DOT" approved, that they are good to go. This isn't true when things start changing like color of lenses, volumes of exhausts, brightness of lights etc. One thing I haven't bothered with yet is drag radials, as I would be quite hypocritical, however I can see it becoming an issue in an accident. 50 state legal is so broad, especially when considering local ordinances as well.

Last edited by 1994lt1; 04-15-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:25 AM   #43
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Quote:
So if I make tail lights for my car and put a raised DOT stamp on it, everything is cool? Please, there is no mountain of cases. If someone rear ends me in my camaro with oem tail lights that I tinted, I am ****ed. Anyone can manufacture anything with a DOT marking on them. Its in good faith that it actually does meet DOT criteria. A good blood sucking team of lawyers will destroy you. If the stuff does meet the criteria, then yes you are ok. Assuming everything you buy is DOT approved is not in your best interest.
If you alter a part then you are assuming the liability and there are lots of cases that support the rights of owners putting DOT approved parts on their car. Like GI Joe taught us as kids "Knowledge is power!"

You can search the owners bill of rights or just poke around the SEMA site for information if you are still struggling to understand.

-Tim

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
Old 04-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #44
Mike
BadMod

Adam isn't struggling to understand anything. He is repeatedly pointing out that there are tons of products out there with "DOT" stamped on them that haven't undergone any testing or received any certifications. This is not his opinion. This is fact.

If you use these parts you are liable. Period. If you use aftermarket parts that have undergone testing and were legitimatly awarded their "DOT" markings then yes you have a leg to stand on if a situation arises.

Quote:
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:21 PM   #45
Dudbird113

Cops or at least state troopers could care less about qtps on thr street, had at least a dozen right behind me n next to me. Even had them look my car over when my opti **** out, said nice car n left.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:08 PM   #46
Mike
BadMod

Because most people can tell what kind of tire you have while rolling along behind or alongside you......

Situation could change if there's an accident. Which is what everyone has been talking about.

Quote:
Old 04-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #47
greenformula92

so in a nutshell don't buy anything on ebay cause its not DOT approved and empty your wallet for something thats legit.....but I like saving money on things so to hell with that lol. It also depends a little bit on how you do things. don't tint your tail lights so they are black as night. just enough to darken them and swap out to LED bright lights. this will help ease any harrassment from LE. Its become quite obvious that most of us have at least one thing illegal on all of our cars.

2018 Silverado 1500

Last edited by greenformula92; 04-17-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:23 PM   #48
Mike
BadMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenformula92 View Post
so in a nutshell don't buy anything on ebay cause its not DOT approved and empty your wallet for something thats legit.....but I like saving money on things so to hell with that lol. It also depends a little bit on how you do things. don't tint your tail lights so they are black as night. just enough to darken them and swap out to LED bright lights. this will help ease any harrassment from LE.Its become quite obvious that all of us have at least one thing illegal on all of our cars.
False for me

Quote:
Old 04-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #49
greenformula92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
False for me
alright I fixed it. I just assumed and we all know what happens when we do that

2018 Silverado 1500
Old 04-17-2014, 01:55 PM   #50
1994lt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenformula92 View Post
Its become quite obvious that most of us have at least one thing illegal on all of our cars.
Its a proven fact that MOST brand new cars that pull off the lot are subject to a violation (usually license plate frames). It's not hard to write someone for something, anything, or stop them. It comes down to discretion with the officers. As a car guy I let a lot of things slide because I cannot write or stop someone for modifications I have done or don't have a problem with. These guys in Jersey are probably in response to the high traffic of heavily modified cars, and the complaints from the citizens.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge